Noisy brakes - MY2002 318i - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-18-2005, 12:42 AM
www.cyon.com.au

Send a message via ICQ to atlau Send a message via MSN to atlau
Mein Auto: F10 528i
Noisy brakes - MY2002 318i

Folks,

Sorry to start a new thread, but I couldnt find any info on this.

Lately, I have started to notice noise from my MY2002 E46 318i 4D. It sounds like a "rrrrrr" noise when braking, especially hard and when going downhill. It reminds me of my Accord a few years back when it made a similar noise and I had to get the discs "machined". Is this normal? My Accord lasted 7 years and 130,000kms before I had to get them machined. My Bimmer is only on 48,000kms, I figured the discs should be quite good condition (I don't drive like a maniac, especially when it comes to braking, I brake quite softly, like a Grandma on a nice Sunday afternoon in the country) - I hate brake dust.

Anyway what else would cause this? Recently I bought this brush of http://www.eclipsedetailing.com.au/ (Actually the product is http://www.eclipsedetailing.com.au/P...eBrush&image=1

this is to scrub my alloys, and I only use light meguires gold class wash when I wash my wheels, always in the cold... Is there anything else that could be happening here??
Thanks folks...

http://www.cyon.com.au/atl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2005, 04:17 PM
www.cyon.com.au

one more question, if it is discs that need machining, is it covered under warranty?
I have another 5 months of warranty to go.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Something German
They dont usually machine the rotors on BMW, pay $20 more and get new rotors. You can get OEM rotors from a few places pretty cheap. I bought Balo's for the rear at $38 a rotor and I believe the fronts cost me $45 or something like that each.

Euro Delivery Thread
///M3 -6MT
E30 M3 Sold, E36 Sold, E46 Sold, E90 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2005, 06:11 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to DZeckhausen
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW F30 328i 8-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlau
Lately, I have started to notice noise from my MY2002 E46 318i 4D. It sounds like a "rrrrrr" noise when braking, especially hard and when going downhill. It reminds me of my Accord a few years back when it made a similar noise and I had to get the discs "machined". Is this normal? My Accord lasted 7 years and 130,000kms before I had to get them machined. My Bimmer is only on 48,000kms, I figured the discs should be quite good condition (I don't drive like a maniac, especially when it comes to braking, I brake quite softly, like a Grandma on a nice Sunday afternoon in the country) - I hate brake dust.
I would say the odds are good that your brakes are done and in need of replacement. 48,000kms (approx 30,000 miles) is not outside the bounds of reason for a 318i sedan to have gone through its brakes.

Keep in mind the 318i has the smallest brakes of any E46 model. Compare your 11.2" front/10.8" rear brakes to the 11.8" front/11.6" rear brakes of the 325i and the even larger 12.8" front/12.6" rear brakes of the 330i. As the brakes get smaller, the rotor and pad temperatures climb higher for any given stop. Heat is the enemy of brakes and accelerates wear.

To determine if you need new rotors, measure the remaining thickness. Your front rotors started out at 22mm thick and should be discarded when they reach 20.4mm thickness. The rear rotors started out at 19mm thick and should be discarded when they reach 17.4mm thickness. As a rule of thumb, BMW allows 1.6mm of total rotor wear. Other comapnies make heavier rotors with thicker friction plates, so they allow more wear and subsequently last longer. Mercedes, for example, allows 2.4mm of rotor wear. On the other hand, BMW rotors are lighter and contribute to better handling.

Braking like a grandmother doesn't help rotor life. That simply allows the transfer layer of pad material on the rotors to be chewed away and the predominant mode of braking to be abrasive rather than adherent. (Adherent is when molecular bonds are formed, then torn apart, between the pads and the pad transfer layer on the rotors.) What you need to do is install new pads and rotors, then bed them in properly. See: http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm. Then make sure to brake normally and, if you ever hear any symptoms of your rotors becoming unbedded (squealing under light pedal pressure) then bed them again.

If you hate brake dust, braking lightly is not the answer. You can turn to a local company, Bendix-Mintex, and buy a set of their Axxis Deluxe Plus brake pads, which produce almost no dust. They may be sold under the a different brand name in your country. Here in the USA, they are sold under the REPCO, PBR, and Axxis brands.

------
2015 BMW X1 xDrive28i M Sport

2012 BMW F30 328i Luxury Line 8-Speed
StopTech 4-wheel big brake upgrade

2001 BMW E39 540i 6-Speed (Traded-in for F30)
CDV deleted
Old 01-27-2005, 06:19 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
Dave Zeckhausen,

As usual... excellent information.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:20 AM
Family Man User

Mein Auto: BMW, M-B
Dave, I have a squeak at light pressure (usually it appears while, as I'm coming to a stop, I gently ease off the brakes). Occasionally it occurs when I go in reverse. The squeaking gets worse when it's cold, and sometimes it disappears for a few days, but it has been quite persistent for about 10 months now, if not longer. Do you think I need to re-bed my brakes, or do you think something else is involved? I've taken it to one dealership, which said nothing was wrong and they couldn't reproduce it, but I don't know that I trust them to have even looked at the brakes at all. They did, however, say that everything was within proper operational spec.

BTW, do you have info on the 330i brake pad and rotor "new" and "worn out" measurements on your site anywhere?

Thanks for the help. I plan to visit you one day to get my CDV taken care of (the same dealership claims I don't have one, and while I haven't checked underneath myself yet, I really don't believe them).
Old 01-29-2005, 05:54 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swchang
Dave, I have a squeak at light pressure (usually it appears while, as I'm coming to a stop, I gently ease off the brakes). Occasionally it occurs when I go in reverse. The squeaking gets worse when it's cold, and sometimes it disappears for a few days, but it has been quite persistent for about 10 months now, if not longer. Do you think I need to re-bed my brakes, or do you think something else is involved? I've taken it to one dealership, which said nothing was wrong and they couldn't reproduce it, but I don't know that I trust them to have even looked at the brakes at all. They did, however, say that everything was within proper operational spec.
In this case, I'll agree with the dealership. You have classic symptoms of unbedded rotors. A good bedding session, once the weather warms up a bit, should cure your sqeaking.
Quote:
BTW, do you have info on the 330i brake pad and rotor "new" and "worn out" measurements on your site anywhere?
Don't have it on my site, but I do have it in my head. The 330i front rotors are 25mm when new and the rear are 22mm. Thus, the discard thickness specs for your car are 23.4mm and 20.4mm respectively.
Quote:
Thanks for the help. I plan to visit you one day to get my CDV taken care of (the same dealership claims I don't have one, and while I haven't checked underneath myself yet, I really don't believe them).
Did they actually look? It should be there, staring them right in the face! Amazing.

------

CDV deleted
Old 01-29-2005, 05:25 PM
Family Man User

Mein Auto: BMW, M-B
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZeckhausen
In this case, I'll agree with the dealership. You have classic symptoms of unbedded rotors. A good bedding session, once the weather warms up a bit, should cure your sqeaking.Don't have it on my site, but I do have it in my head. The 330i front rotors are 25mm when new and the rear are 22mm. Thus, the discard thickness specs for your car are 23.4mm and 20.4mm respectively.Did they actually look? It should be there, staring them right in the face! Amazing.
Dave, you're the best. Thanks a ton. BTW, why not just rebed them now? Why wait for warmer weather?

Yeah, dunno about the CDV. Dunno about anything a lot of dealerships do (or don't do) nowadays, to be honest... Anyway, will check sometime and if I have it, which I bet I do, will be giving you a call.

Last edited by swchang; 01-29-2005 at 05:29 PM. Reason: added question
Old 01-30-2005, 08:23 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swchang
Dave, you're the best. Thanks a ton. BTW, why not just rebed them now? Why wait for warmer weather?
The key to bedding is to get your brakes hot enough to start transferring a layer of pad material onto the rotor surfaces. If it's only 9 degrees outside, the rotors cool off too quickly between runs and it's much harder to get a good bedding to take place. It's much easier when the temperature is 40 degrees or higher.

------

CDV deleted
Old 01-30-2005, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZeckhausen
I would say the odds are good that your brakes are done and in need of replacement. 48,000kms (approx 30,000 miles) is not outside the bounds of reason for a 318i sedan to have gone through its brakes.

Keep in mind the 318i has the smallest brakes of any E46 model. Compare your 11.2" front/10.8" rear brakes to the 11.8" front/11.6" rear brakes of the 325i and the even larger 12.8" front/12.6" rear brakes of the 330i. As the brakes get smaller, the rotor and pad temperatures climb higher for any given stop. Heat is the enemy of brakes and accelerates wear.
IIRC Australian-market cars are sold with an increased payload configuration, because of the Aussie propensity to tow stuff everywhere. The 318i and 320i have the slightly bigger 300mm/294mm 325i brakes (or, 11.8"/11.6" as you say). In turn, the 325i's "payload increase" uses 330i brakes; Oz-market 325s duly come with 17" wheels as standard, since 16"s do not fit. Hidden-option freaks can boost their odds of getting a free brake upgrade by asking for "S100A - Payload Increase" come order time, and hoping the dealer does not question it (just say you are going to do a lot of towing, for example). Mine didn't .

Either way, I agree that ~30k miles is not an unreasonable service life for 318i front discs and pads, particularly in warmer climes.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:38 PM
www.cyon.com.au

Thanks guys,

My gawd, there's so much to learn about brakes!!! I haven't the faintest clue!! Do you mean Brake rotars is the actual disc that the brake pads rub against?

Sorry I am just a clueless guy, who knows nothing. Unfortunately BMW in this market dont have such a strong "cult following". Even in Singaproe they have their own forums (www.bmw-sg.com) which is fantastic...

Thanks so much for your opinions guys. I am getting my car oil serviced 2 weeks time (5000kms to go before next oil, but I thought just do it) so I'll ask them.

PS: Not covered under warranty right??

PPS: They changed the brake PADs at 22000kms, that's different to rotars??

Thanks!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2005, 10:47 PM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
Or you could just do what my Mom recommended: I was driving her once recently and a car pulled up next to us with really screeching brakes. She remarked in all seriousness "Ooh, his brakes are really squeeking. He needs to get them oiled."

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)
Old 01-31-2005, 04:55 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlau
Thanks guys,

My gawd, there's so much to learn about brakes!!! I haven't the faintest clue!! Do you mean Brake rotars is the actual disc that the brake pads rub against?
Brake rotors (US English) = Brake discs (British English). I think in Australia they use "discs".
Quote:
PPS: They changed the brake PADs at 22000kms, that's different to rotars??
Yup. If, at 48,000km, you are due for a second set of pads as well as new discs, your discs are lasting for as long as two sets of pads. This is quite normal for BMWs (in other cars, you may go through several sets of pads before requiring new discs).
Old 01-31-2005, 05:50 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Or you could just do what my Mom recommended: I was driving her once recently and a car pulled up next to us with really screeching brakes. She remarked in all seriousness "Ooh, his brakes are really squeeking. He needs to get them oiled."

--J.

Old 01-31-2005, 04:10 PM
www.cyon.com.au

Thanks heaps Andy, Yes I know what discs are. Wow, so I need to change all 4?? Is that gonna cost me an arm and leg?? 4 PADs at 22000kms cost me already $800!! (plus it was inspection 1)

MY GOD - How come I only learned that you need to change the discs ever 2 pads?? I just learned discs cost $1200 for a set of 4!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

plus pads... say $600

PLUS oil inspection at stupid BMW service prices $500

I can hear the salesman at the HONDA dealer laughing after I rejected him years ago on the Accord.......

Oh well, it's still an awesome drive though. Thanks so much guys for all the information

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_thomas
Brake rotors (US English) = Brake discs (British English). I think in Australia they use "discs".

Yup. If, at 48,000km, you are due for a second set of pads as well as new discs, your discs are lasting for as long as two sets of pads. This is quite normal for BMWs (in other cars, you may go through several sets of pads before requiring new discs).

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search