BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Which bolt is this?

968 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Swanicyouth 
#1 ·
I was changing oil the other day on my wife's Z4 and I noticed this bolt:

Auto part Fuel line Engine Automotive fuel system Vehicle

It's a 13mm head, I tried to tighten it but it was pretty hard to turn, so I started trying to lookup some information on what it is. I don't want to torque it down inside the aluminum block and strip something. Any advice?

See less See more
#2 ·
This is a guess but I vaguely recall seeing such a bolt used too assist in the adjustment of the alternator, and it was meant to stick out just like that. My advise is not to touch it for the moment, it probably is just fine.

#3 ·
Likely used to adjust the alternator to “line” up into the proper position for its pulley to be parallel with everything else when v belt installed.

If you look closely at what it “pushes” against... you will see that if you loosen off the bolt securing the alternator in position, you would be able to adjust the alternator backwards if you tighten “that bolt”... alternatively... backing off on “that bolt” in question will allow the alternator to move slightly forward.

I’d just leave it alone as suggested as it would have been a factory adjustment at time of assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
That bolt has nothing to do with alternator. Just replaced mine & there are 3 bolts holding it on & that isn’t one of them. The idler pulley is next to it & that is held one by 1 bolt that goes through the center. It looks like it is a bolt to hold part of the aluminum bracket it does through. It’s not supposed to be like it is - someone probably removed it & cross threaded it at one point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.