BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

valentine one hard wire goes bad?

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  mwpepper 
#1 ·
There are some excellent DIY hard wire instructions from e90 posts. I followed them to the letter. I used the included wire splice, and ran the power off of the green with white stripe wire attached to the plug closest to the windshield in the overhead unit. I grounded the V1 to the 10mm bolt that the sunroof motor uses as well. The V1 works perfectly. It comes on with the key, and shuts off as well. My problem is now the car is not sending data to BMW Assist. I had not tried BMW Assist for a long time prior to this, but it was working before. The car will be due for service at some point in July or August. The car is still under warranty, and I am not sure how the shop will respond to my splice if I bring it to thier attention. Do I mention it or not? Everything else is working fine. :dunno:
Sorry for the length of the post.

#2 · (Edited)
It will be hard to argue that your splice was not the cause of the failure so I doubt it will be covered under a warrenty. I'm NOT saying it was the cause of the failure; just hard to argue.

If it were me, I would want to get it fixed. There are some significant features that you are likely missing without a connection. You may not use them everyday but they're nice to have in a pinch.

#3 ·
The crash notification is one of the things that I am concerned about.
I guess that honesty is the best policy, and simply "man-up" to the situation and tell them Hey, I thought that this was a safe wire to tap into. One saving grace is that this is not a lease car. The car is mine, so I can refuse to get it fixed. I don't know of a good indy mechanic in my area, so I'm stuck with the dealership. I must say that they are excellent, and I have taken wonderful care of me in the past.

#4 ·
I'd play ignorant. That wire could have been sliced at the factory by a careless tech.

#7 ·
The V1 works perfectly. It comes on with the key, and shuts off as well.
Just a note. My previous radar detector developed a problem that I suspect is related to the device being left on. I suspect some sort of power surge related to starting the engine, thus energizing the radar detector, messed up the calibration.

At this point, IF I leave the device in the ON position and start the engine, it will go into a calibration loop and end up saying that it needs to be sent in for service. IF I have the switch in the OFF position, start the car, then turn the device on it works fine.

I have since bought a V1 for my E93 but I am careful to turn the switch to off before starting the car. It should also be noted that the other device is not a V1 and was caused by another car.

#9 ·
I think that particular radar detector's sensors are sensitive to voltage changes. It got to the point that in one vehicle, if I honked the horn, the Laser detector would go off (at full volume of course).

#10 ·
***UPDATE*** The car finally went to the shop. I removed the detector, and hide the cables. I explained that the car was no longer sending data to BMW Assist. At the end of the day all they had to do was to reconfigure BMA Assist through the radio. All is now well, and was covered under warranty. Just something to look for prior to going into melt down like I almost did over a loss of it's configuration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.