Good Pictures On Window Regulator Guides? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 02-01-2011, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 325i
Good Pictures On Window Regulator Guides?

Fixed my bent Regulator thought that was the problem I had. turns out I see no guides and I have no idea what I need to get I guess I could pull the passenger door panel apart to get a better idea I was just hoping somebody had a picture so I didn't have to do that. I ordered part number 51 32 8 176 365 which my supplier calls "Window Guide Rail for Left Front Door" Picture below shows what I have now. Wish me luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REG.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	264736  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 09:33 AM
East Bound And Down

Mein Auto: superduty, 325ci, Jeeps
Mauritus Blue... FTW

looking forward to more pictures, my drivers door window is also FUBAR

Last edited by noexceptions325; 02-01-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Temporary Desert Rat

Mein Auto: 92 325i
there are supposed to be two guides, one at the back of the door, and one at the front by the hinge. Windows are a PITA, I spent a month trying to get mine to line up correctly, then stopped at an atm one day and just HAD to roll it all the way down, and am back at square one with alignment. Good luck! and as you go maybe compile a DIY with what you did?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_raven9 View Post
there are supposed to be two guides, one at the back of the door, and one at the front by the hinge. Windows are a PITA, I spent a month trying to get mine to line up correctly, then stopped at an atm one day and just HAD to roll it all the way down, and am back at square one with alignment. Good luck! and as you go maybe compile a DIY with what you did?
It has been a pain for sure. I have no idea what I am missing. I finally got the one guide one but I know another one is missing. I guess I am just going to have take the passenger apart to get an idea what I need/missing. Ill try to get some pics posted up too.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1993 325i 4dr

Old 02-06-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnT817 View Post
Yea I already seen that, thats actually how I got the part number for the one I needed. I was looking more at actual pictures on the vehicle.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:12 PM

Took the passenger side apart to see what was missing. Took a couple pics in case in helps anybody.

Didn't take pics of this part but behind the indoor door panel handle are two little plastic clips, I popped them off with a small flat head.

Behind them are a torx head bolt, take those two out. The one closest to the door hinge(best description I can give) is the longer one.

Now I unscrewed the door lock knob and set that aside.

You have to take the door handle cover off. You slide it to the left I believe and pull it back, set it aside.

Now you need to take the panel off, its held by a bunch of plastic clips. I took a big flat head slid it between the panel and the door. Then I twisted it to pop them off. It took a while moving the flat head around the panel to get them all off.

Then you have to take the plugs off the speakers. On the driver side you need to take the mirror switch plug as well.

Now you have to take off the black moister/sound barrier thing? Its held by some black glue.

So this is where I found out mine was missing 3 pieces On the Rear regulator part number 51 32 8 176 365 was missing. What was also missing was part number 51 32 1 960 413 that apparently goes in it. I am also missing that little white plastic piece that holds the guide on top. No idea what it is called or what number possibly dealer only.

(insert motor/regulator replacement instructions here) Which was actually fairly simple what was time consuming was getting the rivets off, everything else was straight forward.

Now to put it back together assuming you fixed what you came here to accomplish.

I put some black silicone adhesive sealant I had laying around permatex part number 81158 (16B) on the black barrier piece thing. Then stuck that back on. held it some to make sure it stuck down.

Plugged the speaker plugs back in and window switch where applicable.

This part always gets me, before trying to put the panel on. Place the door lock threaded shaft piece threw the hole on the top of the panel. Or else you wont be able to put it on lol.

If you need to replace those plastic clips that hold the panel to the door, part number is 51 41 1 973 500. Just line up the clips to the holes and when you are ready just punch it at the spots where the clips are. Seemed to worked fine with me. Just go around the whole door until you got it all in.

Put the torx screws back in, covers over that and the door lock knob back on. Success!

If I am missing something let me know, if it helps anybody happy to help. Any questions let me know and I will answer to the best of my knowledge. To give you an idea I did all this during my lunch break and still had time to eat I can take more pics since the driver side is apart. I need to go down to bmw and order that white clip deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Whole Thing.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	265729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	265733   Click image for larger version

Name:	plastic piece.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	265737  
Old 02-08-2011, 05:49 PM

Actually now that I look at it that plastic piece I'm missing is just a holder for the cables. The guide has a slot at the top that slides into something that keeps it in place.

Sent from my HERO200 using Bimmer App
Old 02-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Fast Cars Suck!

Send a message via AIM to Joe__Sterling
Mein Auto: '13 FIAT 500 '68 BMW 1602
God im not looking forward into diving into lola's PITA driverside front window.

*The I Drove to Both East and West Coast Bimmerfest Club* Member #1
@Joe__Sterling on twitter & instagram (two underscores)
Old 02-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Fast Cars Suck!

Send a message via AIM to Joe__Sterling
Mein Auto: '13 FIAT 500 '68 BMW 1602
What did you use to replace the rivets?

*The I Drove to Both East and West Coast Bimmerfest Club* Member #1
@Joe__Sterling on twitter & instagram (two underscores)
Old 02-08-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorboysracing View Post
What did you use to replace the rivets?
The regulator I purchased came with nuts, bolts and washers. Honestly it wasnt that bad just time consuming getting the rivets off. It also came with those white plastic square things which was nice. 2 bushing for the motor you have to use the one that came with it.

edit: Ill try to take some pics of me replacing the regulator since mine got a little tweaked when I put it on. I didnt realize the guide was missing and when I rolled it up it got stuck and bent it a tad, rather change it now since I have it apart. I am doing it tomorrow on my lunch break. Let me know if you guys want to see pictures.

Last edited by Adrian*; 02-08-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:39 PM
;)

Send a message via AIM to NemeCes
Mein Auto: BMW 328i Sedan
My old regulator was bent when I bought the car so I bought a new one and installed it and everytime right before the window rolls all of the way up it makes a thunk sound. Anyone got any idea what that could be caused by?

Cesar
'97 BMW 328i
'01 BMW 540i Sport
'73 Chevy Camaro LS3
"Racing is life, everything before and after is just waiting"
Old 02-11-2011, 01:28 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemeCes View Post
it makes a thunk sound. Anyone got any idea what that could be caused by?
My E39 driver window made a "thunk" sound today, which was the window clamps flopping about.

Details here:
- What's the NEXT step for removing the door panel to diagnose broken window regulators

Maybe your clamps, if they're they same as in the E39, are hitting something?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search