Cooling System Problems, Thanks Plastic Fan Blade! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 12-09-2010, 10:05 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 325i
Cooling System Problems, Thanks Plastic Fan Blade!

Backround: sold my customer a new OEM BEHR Radiator, OEM fan Clutch and OEM Thermostat before I bought the car. He didnt know why it was overheating turned out it was a clogged radiator. Got the car no problems with that

So my car overheated. Called my mechanic because i'm on two paid weeks off and dont really want to bother with my ride at the moment. Calls me up tells me hey your fan blade lost a bunch of blades. I'm like sweet we stock that costs me $15! Takes it apart calls me up again. Looks like when your blades where breaking off they decided to cut into your new Behr Radiator they just put in a couple months ago and ruin it Also we replaced one lower mount and two upper radiator mounts that were MISSING Pretty bitter at the moment since I have to spend $120 on another BEHR Radiator was just put it! He also did the things I have been putting off and had. He changed the plugs, they where shot, oil change, fuel filter and air filter. Changed the belt that was squeaking and the tensioner and idler. Should run like a champ when I get her back.

I now understand my customers, if I didn't pay cost and have a mechanic who charges me less than what I make an hour, this car would have made me broke!

Check those fan blades people! I remember one customer brought me one and it only had one spoke left! He was wondering why it was overheating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2010, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: E36 325i and El Camino
Yeah, I had a fan blade cut off by I was lucky because it got lodged in the grill and it missed the radiator. Little mishaps like that will be your downfall.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:31 AM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
You can't really "check" the fan that easily. They just get brittle over time and can fail without warning. This is why we all recommend replacing them (and everything else in the entire cooling system) every 75-100k miles. For owners of new-to-them E36s, a cooling system overhaul is pretty much mandatory unless you have receipts from the previous owner confirming work was performed recently.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Sup

Mein Auto: BMW 320i e36
Do the fan delete mod and never worry again

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search