Remote Control Parking Issue - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 04-24-2018, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 540i Bluestone/Mocha Napp
Remote Control Parking Issue

I am another return BMW owner, 540i I ordered, finally received this month.

I added the option for remote control parking, to get BMW into and out of garage. I found it works every now and then, more then 'then' then now, i can get it to back in without issue. when try to get it out of the garage I find it starts to turn the front wheels to the left. So as it gets halfway out of the garage it starts to turn into the flower bed, goes left. I am parked on the right side of the garage looking at the house from the road, and backed into the garage.

Would anyone know why this is happening when it is suppose to only go straight forward and back.

Thanks for this site, have been reading a lot of threads, but cannot seem to find anything on this RC parking, turning when using remote control parking. I have even tried standing in different places to try and get it to turn, yes i can easily entertain myself.

Thanks forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2018, 11:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2018 530e xDrive
I don't have that feature, so can't directly answer your question, but if it were me, I would start with the BMW service department and see what they have to say.

And welcome to the forum.

If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving isn't for you!
Old 04-24-2018, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 540i M Sport
I have the feature and this is just a guess on my part. The car uses the cameras and sensors to track its path under remote control, and it might be confused by the foliage in your garden. Especially if it's substantial enough to catch movement in a breeze, presenting a sensor with varying distances. I discovered this after cutting back fountaingrass lining my driveway.

I hoped to use the feature to get my car through my 95" wide garage door opening, but the space on either side is less than the 15" required for remote parking to do the job. So it's still manual for me, with alarms screaming all the way in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2018, 02:20 PM

I use remote to back it into the garage, works great, had less than 10" on one side. It beeped but if anything I just redid the motion, I think my standing behind it stopped it more than being close to the other car.

I do not have bushes wher it starts to turn but maybe I will stand it front of them or something. I did not know it turned or was suppose to turn, at all, while using remote parking? More trial and hope no error for me.

Is ti possible going from shade to early morning sun may also have an impact.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 M550i; 2020 X5 40i
I cannot give you any suggestions. Mine just goes forward and backwards with very little adjustments in terms of steering. Do you run into the same problem pulling in/out of other spaces?

Current

2018 M550i Med. Blue|Cognac Dakota|Cold Weather Pkg|DA|DA+|Exec Pkg|Parking Assist|759i 20"|Rear Sun Shade|Remote Control Park|CarPlay|Rear Ent|B&W Sound|Night Vision|Gesture Control
2020 X5 40i

Past

2017 X5 35i
2014 535dx
2013 X5 35i
2007 530i/6
2002 X5 4.4i
2000 540i/6
1999 M Roadster
1989 535iA
1984 533i/5
1983 533i/5
1977 530i/4
Old 04-25-2018, 03:18 AM

Has worked fine other places, seems to happen when pulling it out of garage, goes in just fine.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 Acura MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by witzfl View Post
I use remote to back it into the garage, works great, had less than 10" on one side. It beeped but if anything I just redid the motion, I think my standing behind it stopped it more than being close to the other car.

I do not have bushes wher it starts to turn but maybe I will stand it front of them or something. I did not know it turned or was suppose to turn, at all, while using remote parking? More trial and hope no error for me.

Is ti possible going from shade to early morning sun may also have an impact.
I'm going to say that is a possibility, especially if it's a well defined shade line.

We're coming out of pine pollen season here, and if you're not familiar with pine pollen, it is a heavy yellow dust that coats EVERYTHING. I was backing into a parking spot about 2 weeks ago, and the pollen had collected in a crack in the pavement creating a solid line. The cameras saw that as an obstacle and the car would not let me back into the spot because of it.

Have you tried it in full sun, where there are no shadows on your driveway?

Former rides:
2009 Acura MDX Tech
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT1
1994 Pontiac Grand Am
Old 04-25-2018, 10:20 AM

It does work other places, just when pulling out of garage. I may have to stop and stand somewhere else. Only seems to happen when I am behind it walking it out of the garage as it gets to the end of the rock bed on the left, it turns toward it. I may need to try standing in different places.

It is a great feature and I love it. I just need to stop it about 2/3rds out of the garage occasionally when it starts to turn to the rock edging, which leaves me plenty of room to get in and out. I just ned to stay away from the garage door opener, LOL.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzfl View Post
I am another return BMW owner, 540i I ordered, finally received this month.

I added the option for remote control parking, to get BMW into and out of garage. I found it works every now and then, more then 'then' then now, i can get it to back in without issue. when try to get it out of the garage I find it starts to turn the front wheels to the left. So as it gets halfway out of the garage it starts to turn into the flower bed, goes left. I am parked on the right side of the garage looking at the house from the road, and backed into the garage.

Would anyone know why this is happening when it is suppose to only go straight forward and back.
Remember seeing this post, and I just pulled the car out of the garage using remote control parking. Normally I would do it myself, but I was already sweaty from washing my wife's car and didn't want to get into mine that way.

ANYWAY...First, let me say that the car isn't supposed to go just forward and back - it will turn a little bit for adjustments. That's explained in the car's docs and videos.

Second, my car did exactly like yours. I park on the left side of the 2-car garage (when facing house from the streed), and back in. So, my passenger side is against the wall. When it got about halfway out of the garage, it started turning towards the yard on the passenger side. However, as it approached the side of the driveway, it turned back toward the left. It looks like it wants to go up to about 2-3 inches from the side of the driveway, but then should follow the edge from there.

I was just curious if the OP went any further with this, and if his/her experience matched what I saw.

Former rides:
2009 Acura MDX Tech
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
1994 Pontiac Grand Am
Old 05-13-2018, 01:42 PM

Mine will actually get on the grass. I stop it touch it go back, this straightens wheels, then go forward a bit and repeat. Still not sure why.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: (G30) M550i
I remember reading (from the manual?) that the remote parking feature only steers when moving forward. Backing up always is in a straight line. For me, I have a garage where it narrows near the end. If pulling forward, the car will always steer away from the wall and into the pillar (which is near the end). I guess the sensors do not have enough range to correctly plan the path forward. So the only way it works for me is if I line the car up perfectly, and use the remote to back in.

Pretty disappointed at this feature overall. I should've saved my money instead of getting what amounts to a fancy party trick option.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eecsdude View Post
Pretty disappointed at this feature overall. I should've saved my money instead of getting what amounts to a fancy party trick option.
To each his own. Sure, with the limitations, I know that the car won't do exactly what I would want it to do, but it has come in handy on more than one occasion for me. I was in Myrtle Beach last weekend, and the parking deck I was parked on didn't exactly have a smooth surface. So, after some overnight rain, I ended up being parked in the middle of a huge puddle. Used RMP to pull out of the puddle.

Sometimes I do feel the same as you - I'd love a system that is "smarter" and knows what I want, that way I can feel like I got more value out of it. But, compared to most of the other options, it was a fairly cheap add-on. And I get more "oohs and ahhs" from just showing off the remote :-)

Former rides:
2009 Acura MDX Tech
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
1994 Pontiac Grand Am
Old 05-20-2019, 09:55 AM

This is an issue with the color between garage and driveway, which also tilts downward toward the road, and bushes and rocks on the side it wants to turn, I have found that if it starts to do this and I stand close, but not to close, to the sensoe just in front of the drivers front wheel it stays more straight and not on the lawn. The driveway is pavers and I think it is not sure where to go in different lighting conditions, such as early sun or bright shade(dark area) in its path. backingis fine and no issues.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 540i M Sport
Interesting. I'd think the proximity sensor would have more of an effect than the camera (which would come into play in the lighting situation) given your description of the driveway contours. But if you have a solution that works, all is good.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search