Is this a good deal on a X3 m40

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  muanis 
#1 · (Edited)
MY2020 X3 m40 very loaded

MSRP: $67,923
Discount: $2,500
Rebates: $2,000
Adjusted Selling price: $63,423
Trade: $6,000 (2011 Toyota RAV4, kbb says 6200 to 7200)

Total purchase including tax for 11218: $62,802 (~-8% msrp)

The same dealer has advertised incentives of 2500 in manufacturers rebate, 5000 in dealer incentives and 750 in 'new bmw owners' to an m40 in the lot. any reason why they wouldn't apply the same incentives on an order?

#2 · (Edited)
Based on what I have seen, not so much. I would target 10% off MSRP and then deduct rebates & incentives. I would counter with $59,130 (includes your incentive, but excludes trade in). Of course, where you live and the competitive landscape in that area makes a difference. In my area here in Boston the $59,130 is as high as I would go.

PS: In theory ordered cars vs off the lot are handled the same. Maybe they just want to move inventory.

#6 ·
So, you're saying that at ~59 with incentives in, adding the trade in at 6 I should be able to have a final street price of ~53? What am I missing here?
Sorry for the slow response, but, yes, that's what I would target - ~$53k all in (i.e., discount, incentives, trade, etc.).

Based on a subsequent post it looks like you closed the deal. Good luck - the X3 m40i is awesome!

#4 ·
Just to update here, I was able to up the discount and my price out of the lot including taxes came out to $59.247, from an MSRP of 67820, 3250 in incentives and rebates and the 6000 tradein. The car goes in production on tuesday according to my salesperson. I can already see it on mybmw.

#5 ·
$67820 * .93 = $63,073. At this point you are getting close to invoice. Some would try to twist the dealer into selling into AVP (holdback) and try to get closer to $59K or $60K. Depends on the local marketplace and how much Carmax would write you a check for your trade today. And the value of the trade is also influenced by how your locality handles net sales taxation when trade-ins are involved.... never easy to compare apples to oranges.

From there the incentives and trade-in are negotiated into the deal. If the incentives are used to reduce the before-tax capital cost of the vehicle, starting at 7% discount from MSRP, that gets you down to $63,073 - $3,250 = $59,823. Then the tax and tags are added and the trade-in is subtracted.

If your $59,247 out-the-door is better than the result of the above numbers, you did nicely.

Most important of all, you have the vehicle you want being custom built to your specifications. Congratulations to you. Enjoy the ride!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.