How much is this door damage going to cost me? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: X1
How much is this door damage going to cost me?

Hi all, I am wondering if anyone would have a rough estimate of the damage to my car. I have attached the pics, let me know if you can see them.

The car is a 2013 X1, Alpine white. It was in mint condition before this damage and the car is covered under insurance. I live by Jersey City/Hoboken area of New Jersey.
Just a side note, I recently got rear-ended by another car of which the driver was falling asleep on the road and got my bumper fixed through insurance. Other than that and this hit and run from street parking, I never had any accident before.

Hope you guys can help out with my questions:

1) Can anyone guess how much it will take to fix in dollar amount? Any rough estimate would help.

2) Should I go to my dealership?

3) Or should I go to an independent body shop? Will the independent shop be able to paint it the right color?

4) Should I call my insurance? I have collision coverage with $500 deductible. I am afraid if I use it my rates will shoot up. Currently I am paying around $500 per 6 months...how much do you think it will go up by?

5) Any suggestions for good independent body shops in the Hoboken/Jersey city area or even North Jersey around Fort Lee/Paramus, specializing in BMW?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by yichen07981; 05-12-2019 at 08:14 PM. Reason: adding picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2019, 07:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive35i
I had damage on my 1998 Audi A4 back in the day, rear door, rear wheel well, and rear bumper. It came to ~$500/panel involved or ~$1,500 total. My damage was much less significant and this was almost 15 years ago, so prices have probably gone up.
Find a reputable, independent garage, make an appointment, and get a quote. Even with a $500 deductible, I expect you'll want to use your insurance. But get the quote first and then call them... Best of luck! This doesn't look like anything structural, just cosmetic. Your X1 should be whole again.

-James
Seattle, WA
Old 05-13-2019, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
I suppose Alpine White is easier to paint / match than any of the metallic finishes. Here in NJ depending on who you're insured with (any your history with them) you may or may not see a premium increase IF you handle this through insurance. I suspect a proper repair to repair and refinish might be as much as $2000-$3000. If any internal bracing or window hardware was affected it could be on the higher side. If the black trim is only scuffed it might not need to be replaced. I don't think a hit and run (hope you filed a police report!!) is a chargeable accident. Again - a lot depends on your history with your insurance company. After all, as painful and expensive auto insurance is - that's why we pay those horrible premiums :-(
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!

Click on the MrRebates logo/link for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!Mr. Rebates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2019, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X1 xDrive35i
My BMW front bumper was around 1300 to replace and paint it, through BMW. I went through insurance, same $500 deductible (allstate). They charge an accident surcharge when you have an accident at fault, I don't know about for non-collision. I can't tell how deep the damage is, but without paying a buttload in labor I doubt it will look right without either replacing the doors or a ton of labor. I'd rather go for quality work, either way.
At this point you don't know if it will affect the windows going down, I'm assuming.

The bumper may not be too bad, and if it's on the surface may buff out. Is yours a 28 or 35? I can't tell.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive35i
Oh, and I'm really sorry. That really sucks. Just be glad that this a problem that insurance and $500 out of pocket can solve. There are worse scenarios in life. Hang in there, and I wish you all the best!

-James
Seattle, WA
Old 05-14-2019, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW X1 Xdrive E84
i am an insurance adjuster, seen this damages, you are looking at over $3000 to properly repair it, although you can find some cheap shop to do it cheaper. use your insurance even if it goes up, it wont be more then the repair even if it goes up
Old 05-14-2019, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335xi GT Msport
Find a couple certified BMW shops in your area and get estimates is the best way to find out, but Id say everyone has been low so far if you want a proper job done.

mreric, has it right at 3000+ but I think it will be noticeably more.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
I've learned that autobody costs all depend on where you live. Where I live here in the Yukon, the costs are about double as compared to my neighbouring province next door. That province is about 30% higher than its neighbouring province. So it REALLY depends on where you live.

Where I live, that's going to be a $6,000.00+ repair. Depending on age and mileage of vehicle, it might actually get written off here.

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search