BMW Dealer DPF Cleaning - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 12-06-2019, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel
BMW Dealer DPF Cleaning

I had my BMW Dealer perform the factory DPF cleaning procedure on Monday, 2 December. My vehicle is a 2010 X5 35d, with approximately 140,000 miles and 60 gr of Ash Mass in the DPF. I was not having any drivability issues, however, I did receive several engine faults (00452A - Info - Particulate Filter, and a few related to EGR cooler temperatures). I also do not have any objective data but it seemed that the fuel economy was beginning to suffer which may have been due to reduced active surface area in the DPF causing more frequent active regenerations. Since Monday I have driven the vehicle on the highway almost exclusively. I have not gotten any codes, and fuel economy is right where it belongs(about 28.5 mpg on the highway). So far, it seems to have been effective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2019, 05:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 14 535d Xdrive, 12 X5 35d
I'm curious, how much was the DPF cleaning? I suspect the low MPG issues may have been related to the EGR codes.

452A is an information only code for BMW service to advise the customer that the DPF is approaching its calculated end of life and the customer should make an appointment for a $4800 DPF replacement. The code does not mean the DPF needs to be replaced immediately. It's just a heads up for BMW service. The code will not trigger a warning light or limp mode or cause it to fail an OBD2 scan for emissions testing for state inspection.

When the calculated remaining DPF life eventually reaches 0 km, code 4D4A gets triggered. 4D4A triggers a one time warning message about the DPF on the control display and a yellow DPF symbol on the cluster at exactly 10 minutes after startup. The yellow DPF symbol goes away after 20 seconds. The DPF warning message on the control display has to be manually cleared. 4D4A is another information only code for BMW service to tell customer it's time for a new DPF. The code means the mileage on the car has exceeded the calculated life of the DPF because the car continued to be driven. The code does not trigger limp mode or cause the car to fail an OBD2 scan during emissions testing. The car essentially starts nagging the owner about the DPF as miles accumulate. It still does not mean that the DPF has to be replaced yet.

My 12 X5 35d is only at 232k miles and still has the original DPF. The 452A code started around 150k miles. 4D4A started at 171k miles. Now at 232k miles and climbing. Note that when these codes are triggered is not tied to a specific mileage on the car. They are based on calculated values of the remaining life of the DPF.

I've been checking regeneration status with the Carly app to know that regens are still occurring like they should. The calculated ash mass is in excess of 79.99 g. The ash mass reading has maxed out at 79.99g so I can't track it anymore. Power and mileage still normal and where they should be. I don't have to anything about the DPF yet. I expect I may have to do something about the DPF before the car reaches 300k miles.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

Why DIESEL is better: (from wxmanCCM)
PM - https://sites.google.com/view/lmarzccm/home
Air Toxics - https://sites.google.com/view/loren-marz-ccm/home
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home

Last edited by n1das; 12-07-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1das View Post
I'm curious, how much was the DPF cleaning? I suspect the low MPG issues may have been related to the EGR codes.

452A is an information only code for BMW service to advise the customer that the DPF is approaching its calculated end of life and the customer should make an appointment for a $4800 DPF replacement. The code does not mean the DPF needs to be replaced immediately. It's just a heads up for BMW service. The code will not trigger a warning light or limp mode or cause it to fail an OBD2 scan for emissions testing for state inspection.

When the calculated remaining DPF life eventually reaches 0 km, code 4D4A gets triggered. 4D4A triggers a one time warning message about the DPF on the control display and a yellow DPF symbol on the cluster at exactly 10 minutes after startup. The yellow DPF symbol goes away after 20 seconds. The DPF warning message on the control display has to be manually cleared. 4D4A is another information only code for BMW service to tell customer it's time for a new DPF. The code means the mileage on the car has exceeded the calculated life of the DPF because the car continued to be driven. The code does not trigger limp mode or cause the car to fail an OBD2 scan during emissions testing. The car essentially starts nagging the owner about the DPF as miles accumulate. It still does not mean that the DPF has to be replaced yet.

My 12 X5 35d is only at 232k miles and still has the original DPF. The 452A code started around 150k miles. 4D4A started at 171k miles. Now at 232k miles and climbing. Note that when these codes are triggered is not tied to a specific mileage on the car. They are based on calculated values of the remaining life of the DPF.

I've been checking regeneration status with the Carly app to know that regens are still occurring like they should. The calculated ash mass is in excess of 79.99 g. The ash mass reading has maxed out at 79.99g so I can't track it anymore. Power and mileage still normal and where they should be. I don't have to anything about the DPF yet. I expect I may have to do something about the DPF before the car reaches 300k miles.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk
The DPF cleaning was $350 which I thought was a great price considering it was the dealer. I had guessed that the DPF Info message 452A was just that and not responsible for the engine light. Good to hear that you have that many miles and still going strong, I am "buying" this vehicle for my business to commute with and wanted at least another 100K miles out of it. Seems like that ought to be possible. Beyond the EGR related codes, I have work to clear two others, 4C7B, 4C7C, related to the SCR dosing valve. I am going to pull the valve today and soak in hot DI water.

My wife has had this vehicle since we bought it in 2013 and used it mostly for in town driving. My use will be mostly highway so I would expect that those emission system faults will not be as much of a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2019, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdude View Post
[
My wife has had this vehicle since we bought it in 2013 and used it mostly for in town driving. My use will be mostly highway so I would expect that those emission system faults will not be as much of a problem.
Have you changed or checked the thermostat/ running temp?
Old 12-08-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlbimmer View Post
Have you changed or checked the thermostat/ running temp?
No
Old 12-08-2019, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: Diesel
I would say that you are certainly due to verify that you are running at temp or close. There is a hidden menu in the cluster, or you can usually use even a generic OBD2 reader.
One of the early symptoms is a drop in fuel economy, for the people that watch that sort of thing.

With some faults, the DDE will request set regenerations at approximately 200 mile interval.

You'll want to babysit the car a little more in its advanced age, Foxwell/Carly/ISTA all good choices. I'd scan the car for trouble codes every tank or so.

If you haven't replaced the engine bay partitions already, check them for brittleness (carefully). Look for any signs of moisture underneath the engine cover, especially at the #5 and #6 injectors.

Last edited by dzlbimmer; 12-08-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:01 PM

So I was able to clear the codes related to the SCR dosing valve for about a 24 hr period by removing the valve and soaking in hot DI water. The same day I performed that I ordered a new Bosch SCR dosing valve. I received the parts today and replace the valve. The engine light is clear and the only remaining code is the Info - Particulate filter message. Hopefully it stays that way for a while!
Old 01-15-2020, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
I have a question to the OP. Did you measure the Ash mass before and after cleaning. I'm trying to figure out how the car knows how much Ash is in the DPF. If its derived from other parameters then I'm curious if you ash mass has gone down significantly after the cleaning.

And since the codes are tripped by a calculated value (remaining life), then do you still have the codes in memory.

I understood that once these trip, they can't be erased unless you go through replacing the DPF.

Anwway you can check and report back? Carly is a great tool for that.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
I think I can answer my own question.

The Ash value is calculated based on the number of regens and *maybe* a measurement of exhaust back pressure/difference across DPF.

See https://dieselnet.com/tech/dpf_ash.php

Therefore IMO ... after your clean, as far as the car is concerned, it has the same amount of Ash as it did before the clean - even if that is ofcourse no longer accurate. Hopefully the clean did something.

So the only way to reset the Ash calculation is to go through the replace DPF procedure and reset the values.
Old Today, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
I have a question to the OP. Did you measure the Ash mass before and after cleaning. I'm trying to figure out how the car knows how much Ash is in the DPF. If its derived from other parameters then I'm curious if you ash mass has gone down significantly after the cleaning.

And since the codes are tripped by a calculated value (remaining life), then do you still have the codes in memory.

I understood that once these trip, they can't be erased unless you go through replacing the DPF.

Anwway you can check and report back? Carly is a great tool for that.
Sorry, I missed this. The Ash Mass is a calculated value and only gets reset by the technician after a DPF replacement therefore when a cleaning is performed the amount remains. At thart point you have to rely on the indications of a plugged DPF. In reality, all the calculation really tells you is when you may have to replace the DPF.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts
Today's Posts Search