BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E90/91/93 max speed

13K views 52 replies 30 participants last post by  Mineo335i 
#1 ·
Just curious to know if anyone's ever maxed out their bimmers on a track, deserted air strip, or (gulp!) highway. What's the top speed you've ever squeezed out of your car?

And is the current gen the fastest of the 3 series ever made?

#9 ·
Top speeds will be relative to whether or not the car has ZSP.

135 without.

155 with.

Stock, yes the current e9x's are the quickest.
Hmm non ZSP e90 4-door will go higher then 135 on a straight away.

#16 ·
Isn't this the time of year when the Great Whites arrive for the feeding frenzy of seals?
I so hope you are not lying, and if you aren't I am REALLY hoping to get some pictures of this. To see a shark feed on a seal would be totally awesome! To get a picture of it....OMG that would be almost as good as having sex while driving at 135 MPH.

#7 ·
Mine was also on A-bahn, but just after the break in period. I hit 140+. Not sure what the real mph was. None of us were looking at the GPS at the time.
I ran out of time and highway to max it out. My break in period ended the day before I returned to the US and I had plans that night, so I only had a limited window in which to attempt to max her out.

#8 ·
Wow, I've never driven past 100.

I became curious after watching this week's Top Gear (yeah, I hate Clarkson too, but he's funny sometimes) where the three presenters took a 20-year old Merc, BMW 3 series, and a Ford and tried to max out the speed. The BMW got to 150 fairly easily, not bad for a 20-year old car. Even the Merc and Ford got to around 140.

#29 · (Edited)
Wow, I've never driven past 100.

I became curious after watching this week's Top Gear (yeah, I hate Clarkson too, but he's funny sometimes) where the three presenters took a 20-year old Merc, BMW 3 series, and a Ford and tried to max out the speed. The BMW got to 150 fairly easily, not bad for a 20-year old car. Even the Merc and Ford got to around 140.
This reminds me of my ED last year.

We were cruising along the A-Bahn when I see in the passenger side mirror an old Orange BMW. That dude was cruising and he passed us at about 130 in his Inca Orange 2000 Touring Hatchback! Everytime we tried to catch him or pass him he sped back up.
I have pictures of him passing us, one of them he is looking directly into my lens with a look of disdain, almost as if to say, ha, my old bimmer is so much better than your brand new bimmer. I will have to load them up from my laptop at home.

#14 ·
Taking my M3 to track 10-15-10 and I'll see.

#49 ·
#22 ·
I met a guy a few weeks ago who had driven a Bugatti Veyron at it's top speed of something like 258MPH

The fastest I have driven my BMW is 55. Anything faster Is illegal,

CA

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

#23 ·
I believe the numbers listed in the literature for 328/335 are 130mph non ZSP and 150mph with. Note that xi, err X-Drive models also require the wheel upgrade to get the increase in top speed.

The increased speed governor also gets you the much coveted accessory oil cooler.

To the OP's question "Yes, I have and it will."

To CA, out here in the wild west, they let you travel at 75mph on most Interstates, and 65mph on most 2 lane state highways in rural areas.

Crazy,huh!

jummo

#32 ·
I believe the numbers listed in the literature for 328/335 are 130mph non ZSP and 150mph with. Note that xi, err X-Drive models also require the wheel upgrade to get the increase in top speed.
The increased speed governor also gets you the much coveted accessory oil cooler.

To the OP's question "Yes, I have and it will."

To CA, out here in the wild west, they let you travel at 75mph on most Interstates, and 65mph on most 2 lane state highways in rural areas.

Crazy,huh!

jummo
I'm not sure if that's correct. I remeber looking at specs and brochures for both my BMW's and they claimed 155 with ZSP. Anyone confirm?

#24 ·
Got it up to 130mph but ran out of room to push it further and I was astonished that the car felt like it had plenty left to go. My previous car (Accord EX) felt like it was floating at around 100mph.

#30 ·
Shoot, I had mine to 100 within 5 minutes of leaving the Welt. 100 was the max break in speed, so that's what I did.

#27 ·
I've taken my car to ____ mph, which I won't post for legal reasons. Let's just say I maxed out 4th gear. But I have no doubts that it'll hit the electronic limiter at 250km/h (around 150mph). Feels completely normal at that speed, nothing remarkable.

Fastest I've ever driven are the few times I was in Germany with a rental car. Legally hit around 210km/h a few times for the heck of it, but usually I keep it around 140-150km/h to reduce fuel consumption. Petrol isn't free in Germany you know.

#31 ·
Legal reasons from what? Just because you say you were driving ___ MPH doesn't mean you were doing it on a government-controlled public roadway, or at least admitting to it. From all that the readers know, you could be driving anywhere: on road, off road, on a track, etc. Post your speed. There's nothing to be afraid of.

#33 ·
I’ve had mine to 105 just passing another vehicle on a two lane road. I know, I know, that was over the break-in speeds but it just wanted to go that fast. She said I didn’t hurt her though. She loved it and wants more….

The Speed limit is 80 on the 10 in West Texas

Attachments

#34 ·
I've had mine to 105 just passing another vehicle on a two lane road. I know, I know, that was over the break-in speeds but it just wanted to go that fast. She said I didn't hurt her though. She loved it and wants more….

The Speed limit is 80 on the 10 in West Texas
80?? WTF! That's crazy. What is that sign for 65 below that? For tractor trailers?

#36 ·
No, it's 65 at night. Except for the ridiculous 55 we had during those dark, dark days we’ve always had lower speed limits at night here in Texas. Wherever it’s 70 it’s also 65 at night.

You have to remember this area is very sparsely populated. We’ve had times when we’ve gone a half an hour without seeing another vehicle.

I think it 70 day and 65 at night for trucks.

#40 ·
I wound up my 328 on a 5-mile stretch of road south of Waco that's nearly arrow straight and where I have never seen a LEO. Ran at the 135 limit for about 3.5 miles and eased back to a leisurely 80 for the rest of the trip. A little wind noise at the limit, but less than I expected.

#42 ·
I went 84mph once--got a ticket and had to go to court. :tsk:

#43 ·
Hmm well I would say I got her to 160mph while I was a slight downhill on the Bahn. But who knows if that is right...seems like 155 is max.

My normal cruising speed on the Bahn when there is not a current speed limit is 140mph.

Still amazes me when other cars..flash me and zoom past me while I’m going that fast :confused::(:cry:

#50 ·
2009 335d ZSP.

I only reached around 130 (indicated) at VIR, during my first HPDE. Although I didn't look down to see how fast I was actually going at the start of the braking zone.

With the front windows open and wearing a helmet, I found that the diesel engine/exhaust was too quiet to shift "by sound".

I plan to do ED next time, if there is a next time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.