Help! Our door locks are haunted! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 11-02-2019, 04:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01 325CiC
Help! Our door locks are haunted!

We have a 2018 320xi. Last week both key fobs went dead and the locks worked intermittently. The dealer changed both batteries and declared the car fixed.

We get home and the next day the locks had intermittent issues. Sometimes touching the door handle locked and unlocked properly. Sometimes you had to grab the handle. Sometimes the key fobs worked. Other times not. Same for both door handles. One note..no matter what the outcome, we always hear a relay type noise behind the fuel filler door.

Brought the car back and it worked fine upon arrival. They could not replicate the issue but did a software update and declared the car fixed.

Next day it started again. But with a new feature. Sometimes unlocking the doors will now cause the headlights to come on.

We are taking it back tomorrow. If it works for them, what do you suggest we do? Is there a specific part we should ask to be replaced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2019, 10:26 PM

Mein Auto: 435i Gran Coupe
I believe the headlights coming on with unlock is normal. Called something like "welcome lighting" in the settings if I recall correctly.

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i (retired)
Old 11-02-2019, 10:37 PM

No. The headlights coming on are not normal. We have had the car almost 2 years and they have never come on.

My e46 has a general module that controls things like door locks and wipers. I assume this car must have something similar that is malfunctioning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2019, 10:59 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Do check if battery is OK too.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:40 AM

I will ask the dealer to check it
Old 11-03-2019, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by egruber View Post
We have a 2018 320xi. Last week both key fobs went dead and the locks worked intermittently. The dealer changed both batteries and declared the car fixed.

We get home and the next day the locks had intermittent issues. Sometimes touching the door handle locked and unlocked properly. Sometimes you had to grab the handle. Sometimes the key fobs worked. Other times not. Same for both door handles. One note..no matter what the outcome, we always hear a relay type noise behind the fuel filler door.

Brought the car back and it worked fine upon arrival. They could not replicate the issue but did a software update and declared the car fixed.

Next day it started again. But with a new feature. Sometimes unlocking the doors will now cause the headlights to come on.

We are taking it back tomorrow. If it works for them, what do you suggest we do? Is there a specific part we should ask to be replaced?
Sounds like your problem most often occurs in the morning. Take the car in late afternoon and ask the service adviser to have it checked first thing. Best chance to replicate the problems.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:11 AM

Did some testing. Looks like the passenger door handle operates reliably. The drivers handle is intermittent. We will ask the dealer to replace the drivers handle assembly. We don't think it's a fob issue now.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: 435i Gran Coupe
Quote:
No. The headlights coming on are not normal. We have had the car almost 2 years and they have never come on.

My e46 has a general module that controls things like door locks and wipers. I assume this car must have something similar that is malfunctioning.
Strange - my come on all the time when I unlock. I leave my headlights in auto so I think that is the default operation upon unlock. Did you previously have the habit of leaving the switch in the off position and only operating the headlights manually?

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i (retired)
Old 11-04-2019, 05:34 PM

We did discover that the dealer put the lights in auto mode. But even so the lights coming on was intermittent.

Over the weekend we thought we figured it out. Everything worked properly except the driver door handle for comfort access. Couldn’t lock or unlock. Planned visit to dealer. Before we left checked it again and now it worked. Sigh.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:55 AM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '16 435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlink View Post
Strange - my come on all the time when I unlock. I leave my headlights in auto so I think that is the default operation upon unlock. Did you previously have the habit of leaving the switch in the off position and only operating the headlights manually?
Are you talking about your actual headlights or just the angel eyes? I leave my lights in auto as well, but when I unlock my doors it's only the angle eyes and parking lamps that illuminate.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Drop by and see what is new at my blog: The Car Geek
Old 11-05-2019, 06:58 AM

It was the headlights. Not the angel eyes.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:42 PM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlink View Post
I believe the headlights coming on with unlock is normal. Called something like "welcome lighting" in the settings if I recall correctly.
No--DRLs come on when unlocking; not headlights.

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 11-07-2019, 04:44 PM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:

Always take a video of the problem when you encounter it. It helps when the dealer can't replicate--you sometimes can show them the video, and that will suffice.

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 11-07-2019, 04:48 PM

We did take videos. But the dealer said if it works at their site they cannot do anything. For now, it's working again.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search