upgrade older LT ssd to m.2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:17 AM
where da clutch at ?

Mein Auto: BMW 128i Msport
upgrade older LT ssd to m.2

I've gone from HDD to SSD and it's flaming fast !

my LT is old and doesn't have an M.2 slot, but I saw this ?
There is an adapter which you can use an m.2 in it's place

IF my LT does not have a specific adapter or interface,
is there any speed benefit over using an SSD ?
The SSD is light enough

txs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2020, 11:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 435i Gran Coupe
Probably not - M.2 utilizes PCI Express to get the benefits of extremely low latency and scalability for computational parallelism on multi-core CPUs.

On the other hand your SSD probably interfaced with the motherboard using plain old SATA. I'm also going to assume the conversion kit utilizes the SATA connection.

The latest protocol for PCI Express (3.0) supports speeds in multiples of 2 channels with each individual channel having a bandwidth of about 1 Gb/sec. So a full 16 channel PCI Express connection could supports transfer of up to 2 GB/sec. SATA 3.0 maxes out at about 6Gb/sec or 0.75 GB/sec.

Of course there are other factors too such as the read and write speeds of the storage device itself and really the type of work you are doing on it. M.2 NVMEs shine their brightest with short read/write times on large contiguous files and computation jobs that can be parallelized.

If your laptop is primarily used for web browsing including downloading/uploading large amounts of data, you probably won't notice a difference in performance as the bottle neck there is likely going to be the network connection.

M.2 does have the benefit of an extremely small form factor nonetheless along with no need to run a cable when its mounted on the motherboard on a PCI express lane.

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i (retired)
Old 01-03-2020, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: A car
I recommend Samsung all the way - I put an Evo 860 in my old aging laptop and it was faster than it had ever been. I've replaced a number of customer drives with Samsung SSDs

https://amzn.to/2QH25Bi

Look for them to release their new models, as they slide the Evo 860 pro into the slot of the Evo 860 - to you basically get last years Evo Pro model when they do that and the price usually goes DOWN again.
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2020, 04:09 PM
where da clutch at ?

ts makes sense, no my tosh satellite doesn't have PCI express, so yeah probably SATA, though it's an i3 dual core, mainly the bulk is youtube videos and media manipulation

the SSD was big leap up and so was sticking on win7 LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlink View Post
The latest protocol for PCI Express (3.0) supports speeds in multiples of 2 channels with each individual channel having a bandwidth of about 1 Gb/sec. So a full 16 channel PCI Express connection could supports transfer of up to 2 GB/sec. SATA 3.0 maxes out at about 6Gb/sec or 0.75 GB/sec.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:11 PM
where da clutch at ?

I first gotta 500gig WD 3d nand, but changed it for a 1tb, though only 905gig is utilized.

I did a Crystal benchmark and a massive difference, I put in my old HD a few month back and you could hear the drive clunking away, not sure how I put up with it LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
I recommend Samsung all the way - I put an Evo 860 in my old aging laptop and it was faster than it had ever been. I've replaced a number of customer drives with Samsung SSDs

https://amzn.to/2QH25Bi

Look for them to release their new models, as they slide the Evo 860 pro into the slot of the Evo 860 - to you basically get last years Evo Pro model when they do that and the price usually goes DOWN again.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:11 PM
where da clutch at ?

ok txs guy's back to the drawing board
Old 01-03-2020, 07:27 PM

Also just a quick bit (yes, pun intended) of info:

screen savers are to traditional CRT monitors as is de-fragging to SSD/NVME storage

The concept behind defragging hard drives was basically cut and paste contiguous bits of data within the same radial distance on the individual plates on an HDD so as to minimize latency as as a result of having to mechanically move the read/write head.

HDDs still serve key role in cold storage as well as backups due to their low cost so defragging hasn't quite become the human appendix of data storage yet, nonetheless, it is pointless to defrag any form of non-spinny data storage.

2004 BMW 530i (retired)
Old 01-03-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
ts makes sense, no my tosh satellite doesn't have PCI express, so yeah probably SATA, though it's an i3 dual core, mainly the bulk is youtube videos and media manipulation

the SSD was big leap up and so was sticking on win7 LOL
Yeah - spare your wallet the expense, the weight and lifetime power consumption savings would require a time horizon that is likely well beyond a reasonable service life of that laptop.

Another quick piece of advice. AMD has done us consumers all a huge favor with some of the new processors they've been bringing to market lately. In fact, Intel's latest generation of processors have nearly the same specs as the last generation but at substantially reduced retail prices. If you've held AMD stock - do yourself a favor and hold on to it for another couple years and then cash out an buy an ///M. They are doing great things these days with CPUs that are driving down the costs of that hardware considerably. Not sure how old your laptop is, but if its getting old try and make it another year or 2 and there will be laptops out there with a TON of processing power at a great price.

2004 BMW 530i (retired)

Last edited by dwlink; 01-03-2020 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:37 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
I'll just drop this here... the Samsund SSDs that sold to (say) Dell as OEM drives are NOT the same as retail drives: you cant use Samsung software to erase them, work with them. Total PITA. FWIW

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 01-04-2020, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I'll just drop this here... the Samsund SSDs that sold to (say) Dell as OEM drives are NOT the same as retail drives: you cant use Samsung software to erase them, work with them. Total PITA. FWIW

last round of dells with SSD we got for clients came with Toshiba SSDs

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search