Diesel Exhaust issues possibly getting worse - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Diesel
Your throttle actuator fault is likely blocking regeneration. 480a is DPF blockage fault...

One theory is that coolant thermostat failed, is over working the glow plus system, introducing extra soot into the DPF (and back into the intake), where the soot takes out the throttle valve and blocks regeneration. This is where you are now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2018, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
dzlbimmer, so this is why you recommended change the throttle valve. I do not understand how soot from exhaust has anything to do with throttle/intake. One is engine waste, the other is fresh diesel and air, no? And is this the limp mode issue? I manually worked the throttle while I was in there. Seemed to work OK. It was a little sooty. But **** $400, do you think I can clean the old one?

Also what to do about all the carbon? Indy shop recommended some kind of diesel detergent vacuum machine. I am scared to try it.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:44 PM

Dudes where did the third page of this thread go? I spent a lot of time on this today. I was discussing throttle body with dzlbimmer, and now the last five or more posts are gone!?
Old 02-21-2018, 04:10 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COdieselx5 View Post
Dudes where did the third page of this thread go? I spent a lot of time on this today. I was discussing throttle body with dzlbimmer, and now the last five or more posts are gone!?
Since this is a public discussion forum, maybe they went to Private Message?
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Database reset it seems like. Do you have the info from your last post?
You need to fix your throttle valve fault asap as it is a key component in the regeneration process, a failure here will block regen. 5mm mid-length ball-end hex bit makes this job simple. something like this https://www.grainger.com/product/SK-...ket-Bit-20K659, https://store.snapon.com/Ball-Hex-Lo...m-P631920.aspx
You should be able to flag down a tool truck and buy something like this, also some parts stores. I would stay away from super cheap tools here as you do not want to damage or strip bolt heads due to loose tolerances or soft materials.

Last edited by dzlbimmer; 02-22-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto:
We did a server move, still sorting it out. It should be back soon.
-Philip
Old 02-22-2018, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d
You have an actuator valve fault? It is run of the vacuum line, and I had to replace a few that went bad last summer. Might be worth checking into. They go bad from rubbing against the engine and heat. Mine were melted to the engine causing vacuum leak and egr position fault. The actuator valve line runs right next to the egr line.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
You have an actuator valve fault? It is run of the vacuum line, and I had to replace a few that went bad last summer. Might be worth checking into. They go bad from rubbing against the engine and heat. Mine were melted to the engine causing vacuum leak and egr position fault. The actuator valve line runs right next to the egr line.
Throttle valve fault. This is an electrically actuated flap that assists in smooth shut down, regeneration, and runaway protection. Location is between charge pipe and egr valve.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:25 AM

@dzlbimmer I changed the throttle. It was not working at all. I nwill look at glow plug module before next winter. The only faults now are for the two glow plugs, 1 and 6. Going to have a local shop take a look at the exhaust at the next oil change.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:33 AM

also, the part behind the throttle, next closest to the engine was all crusted up with carbon. I did not try to clean it, but should I have? It had some electrical plugs on the outside. Outside was fine, but there was something on the inside that spanned the diameter of the barrel. That was all crusted up.

Last edited by COdieselx5; 04-12-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
also, the part behind the throttle, next closest to the engine was all crusted up with carbon. I did not try to clean it, but should I have? It had some electrical plugs on the outside. Outside was fine, but there was something on the inside that spanned the diameter of the barrel. That was all crusted up.
That's EGR valve. Its job is to allow exhaust gasses into intake manifold at certain times. Allowing oxygen-deprived exhaust gas into intake cools off combustion temperatures, leading to less NoX. That's the idea.

The reason your throttle failed was due to oil getting into its electronics. That oil is coming from turbo. The turbo is sucking blowby gas/mist mixture after original crank case ventilation setup is no longer able to separate the oil and gas.

There are aftermarket solutions for that, like ProVent 200.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
35d, diesel, dpf, exhaust, nox

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search