BMW US Diesels - Class Action Lawsuit - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 03-29-2018, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
BMW US Diesels - Class Action Lawsuit

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...sions-Cheating

A law firm did independent testing and found the BMW diesels in the 335d and X5d to be in violation of emissions standards. They've since filed a class action lawsuit against BMW.

This could be an example of a law firm trying to shake down BMW, but this certainly deserves attention to see how this story develops.

I have a '10 335d with 127k miles. I also have the dreaded SES light on continusely - though the car runs fine and the gas mileage seems about right for a car with over 100k miles. I suspect I have the carbon problem and will need to take it to a dealer eventually - though not sure I will pay the $$$ to fix the situation.

Last edited by ghughes20; 03-29-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2018, 09:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328D
This has been a discussion in many other diesel forums I am apart of. The same law firm that was apart of the VW scandal is now trying to seek a law suit against all of the rest of the brands. They claimed the very same thing with every brand in hopes to either get a settlement or big payout.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Thank you

Sent from my SM-G892A using Bimmerfest mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2018, 08:13 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghughes20 View Post

A law firm did independent testing and found the BMW diesels in the 335d and X5d to be in violation of emissions standards. They've since filed a class action lawsuit against BMW.

This could be an example of a law firm trying to shake down BMW, but this certainly deserves attention to see how this story develops.

the gas mileage seems about right.
Try diesel fuel.

Nothing ive been able to find indicates they did ANY 'independent testing'. Do you have a link?

Seems like a total shakedown, BMW was one of the cars that actually PASSED the testing when the VW failed.

Finally, if you wait for a class action to fix your woes, you will be waiting a LONG time. Best case, in 4 years you will get a coupon for $500 off a new BMW.

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 03-30-2018, 02:26 AM

Mein Auto: 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghughes20 View Post

I have a '10 335d with 127k miles. I also have the dreaded SES light on continusely - though the car runs fine and the gas mileage seems about right for a car with over 100k miles. I suspect I have the carbon problem and will need to take it to a dealer eventually - though not sure I will pay the $$$ to fix the situation.
I've seen carbon build up for the BMW diesel 6 cylinder as low as 1200 on this forum. Shop around. Given the A clean up and you've got an engine that will easily go another 120 miles.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
My Indy shop does the carbon cleaning for $800 Triangle Imports Raleigh NC

Sent from my SM-G892A using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 05-01-2018, 01:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335d
The only winners in these class action lawsuits is the law firm pushing the class action lawsuit. Big payout to themselves if they win.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:23 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootle View Post
The only winners in these class action lawsuits is the law firm pushing the class action lawsuit. Big payout to themselves if they win.

I tend to agree.

HOWEVER, the threat of class action litigation to the MFG is great, and actually motivates most manufacturers to correct problems, have recalls, issue corrective actions, announce 10year warranties in the US market.

You dont see this is Europe or other countries.

Yes, it increases the cost of business here, but it ALSO increases consumer benefits.

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Old 05-01-2018, 11:31 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
An attorney's threat to class-action is little different from an attorney's demand letter. A court's certification of a class is much more like an injunction or a summons.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:04 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
An attorney's threat to class-action is little different from an attorney's demand letter. A court's certification of a class is much more like an injunction or a summons.
Sure.

But if you live in a country where there are no class action lawsuits, there is no 'threat' to the manufacturer of class actions.....

Old 05-02-2018, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 535d
That's why North America gets fewer models and more reliable cars.
Vicious attacks from yellow journalists (the Audi 5000) aside.

PL

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts
Today's Posts Search