2015 X3 Thermostat Failure at 45k - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)

X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
The second generation X3 added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 05-28-2018, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW X3 xLine
2015 X3 Thermostat Failure at 45k

Early this morning, after driving for about two miles, I stopped at a red light and heard my fans kick on (sounded like a jet engine it was so loud). As theres no temp gauge on the instrument cluster (why, BMW??) and its a holiday, I decided to turn around and drove home. As I was parking, the CEL came on and I was able to pull a P0597 code for the tstat. Isnt 45k miles a bit premature for a thermostat failure? I owned an infiniti that had one go at about 70k and back then I thought THAT was early. I still have the powertrain warranty until November so I'm not stressing too bad over it. But it makes me wonder if this is a sign of whats to come. Anyone else had to have theirs replaced yet?

2015 X3 xDrive28i xLine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2018, 05:51 AM
Need for Speed

Mein Auto: '05 BMW 330i
Normal on a BMW. The cooling systems always need attention. The Xdrive35i usually needs a new electric water pump and while your there you replace the thermostat at 50-60K, as parts wear out. Otherwise they are fine vehicles. Every vehicle has their little quirks and if you know what they are, then you know what to expect.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 (2.8i)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
Normal on a BMW. The cooling systems always need attention. The Xdrive35i usually needs a new electric water pump and while your there you replace the thermostat at 50-60K, as parts wear out. Otherwise they are fine vehicles. Every vehicle has their little quirks and if you know what they are, then you know what to expect.
+1.....I've been driving E39 sedans (98 and 00 model year cars) for the past 10 years; I happen to DIY a lot of my service/repair work - saves $$$. On my car's it's standard faire to basically replace all the plastic cooling system components every 90K miles to insure reliability. It seems to me BMW's component suppliers are not quite as up to snuff as the Japanese brands. IF this is your 1st BMW after owning the Infiniti, etc. then you need to be prepared to stay on top of the regular/preventative maintenance stuff if you want to have a reliable ride.

If you're able/willing to turn a wrench you can definitely save some money (brake jobs, etc. are simple). The newer cars like your X3 have more electronics, no physical oil dip stick, and as you've noted only an oil temp gauge - I'm not sure I'm ready for a late model Bimmer, but darn, no other car seems to have comparable driving dynamics.

Good luck / Bill
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2018, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW X3 xLine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
+1.....I've been driving E39 sedans (98 and 00 model year cars) for the past 10 years; I happen to DIY a lot of my service/repair work - saves $$$. On my car's it's standard faire to basically replace all the plastic cooling system components every 90K miles to insure reliability. It seems to me BMW's component suppliers are not quite as up to snuff as the Japanese brands. IF this is your 1st BMW after owning the Infiniti, etc. then you need to be prepared to stay on top of the regular/preventative maintenance stuff if you want to have a reliable ride.

If you're able/willing to turn a wrench you can definitely save some money (brake jobs, etc. are simple). The newer cars like your X3 have more electronics, no physical oil dip stick, and as you've noted only an oil temp gauge - I'm not sure I'm ready for a late model Bimmer, but darn, no other car seems to have comparable driving dynamics.

Good luck / Bill
Thanks for the advice, Bill. This indeed is my first BMW after owning an Infiniti, which I performed all the maintenance/repairs on myself. I definitely will do the same for my bimm as it appears to be fairly easy to work on. I usually can always find the time and I've always preferred keeping my money in my pockets/bank accounts!
Old 05-29-2018, 01:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 (2.8i)
Bentley workshop manual is useful and look here www.newtis.info. The TIS (Technical Information System) is reference tool a BMW tech uses- lots of good info.

Stay on top of the maintenance and you'll be fine. It's too bad they've done way with dip sticks, water temp. gauges, etc. The Germans are keen on electronics but sometimes a bit to much so.
Good luck/Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

Last edited by Wgosma; 05-29-2018 at 02:56 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search