My new BMW is falling apart - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 05-11-2019, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto:
My new BMW is falling apart

Hello all,
I would like to share my experience with my new BMW and wonder if anybody had such experience.

I bought my brand new BMW 540i xDrive on June 2018 and I had enjoyed it until December 10th, 2018 when I noticed a "Low engine coolant" warning, I moved the car out of the garage and I saw a bluish fluid pool on the ground. I took it to my local dealership and they found that one of the radiator pumps had exploded for unknown reason, and they replaced it. Two weeks later, same thing happened again but this time, one of the pipes had exploded for unknown reason, and they replaced it as well.
On February 2019, I started getting a message that there is somebody touching passenger seat's cushion controls buttons while nobody is sitting on the seat (My BMW has multi contour seat feature). They found that the controls panel had malfunctioned for unknown reason, and they replaced it.
On April 2019, "Service Engine Soon" warning turned on. They found that the radiator blind had malfunctioned for unknown reason, and they replaced it.

As you see, my car has been in service 4 times (plus one for routine oil change) in less than one year. My car currently has only 10,500 miles on it.
I bought a brand new car to avoid frequent service visits at least for next 4-5 years.
To be fair, my dealer fixed all the problems under the warranty, plus provided me a loaner, but this is still inconvenient and unusual for $75K brand new car. I get an anxiety every morning I turn on my car. I thought about selling it but I would lose at least $20K after only one year of use.
Is BMW quality going down? Any body experienced such issues?
Feedback please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2019, 10:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
My 2014 535i's only problems after 58k miles have been corroded exhaust tips and now the driver's door will occasionally (<5% of the time) not manually unlock (by pulling the inside handle twice). Both of these are common problems.

Frau Putzer's 2018 X3 needed a water pump at 5k miles, and in it's lost it's memorized settings two or three times. Otherwise, all is well.

One theory is that BMW's sourcing a lot more parts from China these days. Also, every once and a while, more than an average number of bad parts end up on one car. It's a rare occurrence. But, when it happens everybody hears about it.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2002
A BMW with quality-control/component issues? I'm shocked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2019, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Where are you located? You might qualify for your localities' lemon law. My 2018 530e has been rock solid since I got it sixteen months ago.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:34 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2018 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spied4US View Post
A BMW with quality-control/component issues? I'm shocked.
I sense sarcasm here (!). I've owned 5 BMW's: '05 330i, '08 335i, '11 535i, 14 535i, and now my '18 540i. I only keep my cars average of 3.75 years, and they are low mileage. That said, the only one of the bunch that had any problems was the '08 335i, which suffered from the bad high-pressure fuel pump problem. Oh wait --- the '11 535i needed to have its horns replaced, of all things. Otherwise, they have all been bullet-proof, and only visited the service department for normal maintenance, regardless of the "legendary" bad press. I'd stack BMW against any fine automobile as far as quality and reliability. I believe the OP's problems are an outlier, and a bit of bad luck. Hopefully the spate of issues is resolved.

Current: 2018 540i MSport | Med Blue/Cognac| MSport Brakes | Multi-Contour | HK | ZLP
Prior: 2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather

Last edited by markl53; 05-12-2019 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:59 AM
silberma1

The problem is that in an effort to cut costs many companies including BMW are moving to non metallic parts like intake manifolds, cooling systems, water pumps etc. Over time in a hot engine compartment the parts become more brittle and crack (not explode). BMW just tries to have the parts make it through warranty and then its our problem. This is one of the reasons many people don't keep their cars past 4 years. Porsche on the other hand spends the money to install quality durable parts, but you pay dearly for them.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silberma1 View Post
The problem is that in an effort to cut costs many companies including BMW are moving to non metallic parts like intake manifolds, cooling systems, water pumps etc. Over time in a hot engine compartment the parts become more brittle and crack (not explode). BMW just tries to have the parts make it through warranty and then its our problem. This is one of the reasons many people don't keep their cars past 4 years. Porsche on the other hand spends the money to install quality durable parts, but you pay dearly for them.
EDIT: Silberma1, I went back and ready the old G80 thread -- I guess I missed that you did come back to BMW and your Genesis is now driven by your wife.

However, you seem to still have a basically negative view of BMW. Another reason manufacturers may be using more plastic is due to the extreme U.S. CAFE standards, causing them to try and reduce weight by any possible means.

Current: 2018 540i MSport | Med Blue/Cognac| MSport Brakes | Multi-Contour | HK | ZLP
Prior: 2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim

Last edited by markl53; 05-12-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:57 AM
silberma1

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Sorry, don't you own a Genesis now? How's that going? And does it have plastic or metal for these "critical" areas? And one reason, if its true, that manufacturers are moving some items to plastic, are the extreme U.S. CAFE requirements -- need to reduce weight.
Wow, I am amazed that you are keeping track of what I own. Yes, my wife's car is a 2017 G80, never had a problem with it. Very reliable and a pleasure to ride, cheap to maintain. Yes, it does have plastic parts but this is where the comparison ends.
Cars that produce more than 100HP from liter of displacement like BMW's tend to run hot, this has more of a detrimental effect on the plastic parts than cars that run cooler.
The Genesis has a 3.8 liter naturally aspirated engine producing 311 HP while using regular fuel so it tends to run cooler.
The Genesis is a keeper, I intend to sell the BMW after 3.5 years.
PS auto makers can reduce weight by using high alloy steel in the chassis as well as aluminum and magnesium parts so that the reliability of the car is not compromised.
Hope you learned some basic engineering.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Wow, I am amazed that you are keeping track of what I own.
I remembered the old G80 thread, but saw your signature stated "2018 540i". Went back there to see if I missed something, and I had. I'm not stalking you!

Old 05-12-2019, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 G12 750ix 2014 F31
Sounds to me like the OP has a lemon and should see a lawyer.
Other: '14 F31
Other: '14 MB E350 wagon
Past: 3, 5 (E39 and F10), 7 & 8 series BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, Alfa Romeo GTV, MGB, Toyota Celica, Lincoln, Saab, Volvo, Audi A6, A4, and others (yes I am old )
Old 05-12-2019, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2019 540xi, 2016 Z06
While this does sound like a larger than normal set of failures, I would say it is not hugely out of the ordinary and in any even as you said the dealer fixed everything under warranty and gave you a loaner car each time so other than having to go to the dealer you were only minimally inconvenienced. I agree that is very annoying but with today's quite complex cars--of any brand--it sounds like the dealer and BMW took care of all the problems with a minimal of hassle. I have experience with certain GM dealers and they are not nearly as accommodating. If you otherwise enjoy the car I would give it a bit more time and see if things settle down. --Bob
2019 540xi M Sport, Carbon Black/Cognac, 2014 328xi, 2016 Corvette Z06; Previous:2010 BMW 535xi M Sport, Carbon BLack/Natural Brown, 2008 335xi, 1998 M3 Sedan,1980 530i, 1977 320i, 1976 2002 BMWCCA Member
Old 05-12-2019, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: 40e
A

Quote:
BMW just tries to have the parts make it through warranty and then its our problem.
Ding! Ding! Ding!

This is why I’ve been railing against the cost of BMWNA’s extended warranties. It’s not so much that their high cost is the EFFECT of inferior engineering choices (though, of course, it may be). It’s more that consumers’ disinclination to buy extended BMW OEM warranties is the CAUSE of inferior engineering choices.

I recently purchased an 8/120k OEM Honda/Acura warranty for a vehicle of similar complexity to my BMW. Basically it covers all major systems for $1000. At BMW, the same would be $7000.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi
Not covered under lemon law. You must have the same problem that the dealer has made numerous tries to fix in a certain period of time without success.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyinacar View Post
Ding! Ding! Ding!

This is why I've been railing against the cost of BMWNA's extended warranties. It's not so much that their high cost is the EFFECT of inferior engineering choices (though, of course, it may be). It's more that consumers' disinclination to buy extended BMW OEM warranties is the CAUSE of inferior engineering choices.

I recently purchased an 8/120k OEM Honda/Acura warranty for a vehicle of similar complexity to my BMW. Basically it covers all major systems for $1000. At BMW, the same would be $7000.
We all have choices, maybe buy a different car next time? So you think they make inferior parts (which itself is an arguable concept) because people don't buy warranties? Sounds a bit like a conspiracy theory. And be sure to read the fine print for your Honda/Acura warranty, I'll wager there are many exclusions at a $1000 price point.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:06 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houranis View Post
Hello all,
I would like to share my experience with my new BMW and wonder if anybody had such experience.

I bought my brand new BMW 540i xDrive on June 2018 and I had enjoyed it until December 10th, 2018 when I noticed a "Low engine coolant" warning, I moved the car out of the garage and I saw a bluish fluid pool on the ground. I took it to my local dealership and they found that one of the radiator pumps had exploded for unknown reason, and they replaced it. Two weeks later, same thing happened again but this time, one of the pipes had exploded for unknown reason, and they replaced it as well. On February 2019, I started getting a message that there is somebody touching passenger seat's cushion controls buttons while nobody is sitting on the seat (My BMW has multi contour seat feature). They found that the controls panel had malfunctioned for unknown reason, and they replaced it. On April 2019, "Service Engine Soon" warning turned on. They found that the radiator blind had malfunctioned for unknown reason, and they replaced it.

As you see, my car has been in service 4 times (plus one for routine oil change) in less than one year. My car currently has only 10,500 miles on it. I bought a brand new car to avoid frequent service visits at least for next 4-5 years.

To be fair, my dealer fixed all the problems under the warranty, plus provided me a loaner, but this is still inconvenient and unusual for $75K brand new car. I get an anxiety every morning I turn on my car. I thought about selling it but I would lose at least $20K after only one year of use. Is BMW quality going down? Any body experienced such issues? Feedback please!
Is this your first BMW?

The lower shutters is a known issue, one which is affecting many BMW models, not just G30's. A part that BMW sourced from a supplier has quality problems and fails frequently. Like the notorious Takata airbag inflators, that is more the supplier's fault than BMW's.

The issue with the seat is relatively common, and usually caused by a fluid spill on the seat.. If your passenger spilled their bottle of Poland Springs, or if you left the windows / sunroof open and it rained, that would explain the issue. I suspect the tech at your dealership wrote the case up as a defective control unit to get BMW to repair it under warranty (a fluid spill is not a warranty claim, and you would have eaten the cost of the repair).

The issues with the water pumps are unusual. I have not heard of that happening to others.

BMW's tend to be on the bleeding edge of technology, and stuff can go wrong, particularly in the early model years of a new body style. Folks who cannot tolerate that are happier owning a Japanese or Korean car. Folks who buy or lease a BMW for its traditional values - you know, the way it DRIVES - and who want a lot of tech in their car overlook those teething pains.

BTW for the guy who was "lamenting" the replacement of good old metal parts with plastics or composites: I assume you never fly in an airplane? And never watch Formula 1? And never marveled at the way Dick Rutan's designs have pushed mankind's envelope? The amount of composites involved in any of those would like make you apoplectic.

Interesting comment about using a METAL pipe to carry a hyper-corrosive and extremely hot water and glycol mixture under pressure. Yeah, that would work really, really well. Because, well, engineering. I know you just love to bash BMW's, but what materials does your Hyundai use for this task? I've attached the parts diagram for your G80 if that helps:

https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/res...CE0E62F4E1699D

2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 05-12-2019, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 40e
Quote:
We all have choices, maybe buy a different car next time?
Well, I did. My most recent purchase was not a BMW. Hence my firsthand knowledge that BMW’s extended warranty is 7x the cost of a main competitor’s identical OEM extended warranty. And I’m one of the biggest BMW proponents on these boards - check my account. But my X5 is still under factory warranty, and I still have it. It’s simply that keeping it beyond 50,000 miles gives me anxiety. It shouldn’t.

Quote:
And be sure to read the fine print for your Honda/Acura warranty, I'll wager there are many exclusions at a $1000 price point.
I’m comparing apples to apples. Contract terms, not glossy brochures. Some “apples” simply cost 7x as much.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto:
Contact BMW customer relations in New Jersey via phone/email and document every conversation and email. Look to escalate the process through their channels and be persistent. If your issues continue you may qualify for a buyback which will date back to the 1st time you brought your car in for a repair for any reason. If it’s a lease they may refund all of you lease payments to date plus registration, etc. and let you out of the remainder of the lease agreement. If it was a purchase they may offer to buy the car back dating back to your 1st repair by giving a check when you surrender the vehicle. You can find all of the relevant info on BMWUSA.com. Just be thorough in your email and conversations and express your concerns/anxiety dealing with these repairs and safety issues. There’s no rhyme or reason why some people have a good experience and other’s a bad one. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 530e xDrive
I have a '18 530e-x. I think mine is a pretty early one. Manufactured in July 2017 - Delivered September 2017. I have had at least 5 CEL issues. The first 3 or 4 were all fixed with software updates. One was something that needed to be replaced - i don't remember what it was. And i had a transmission fluid leak that they fixed. I have probably gone close to a year without the CEL coming on until yesterday. Will take it in this week. I have just over 30,000 miles. I blame all the early CEL issues on buggy software on a new model early in the production cycle. The other issues don't seem too unusually frequent. However, I do think that the complexity of high end cars results in more issues. I have always been a fan Honda's cars - i have owned 7 Honda/Acura vehicles. Early accords ate brakes and front CV joints but newer ones have been rock solid. I put 100,000 miles (each) on two Acura MDXs and the only issue was a drive shaft failure which Acura replaced for free out of warranty. Last year I bought my daughter an Accord Hybrid. Although i don't usually buy extended warranties, i wanted her to be able to take care of the car without worrying about expenses. I bought her a Honda 7/100k warranty for $850.

Last edited by jeff661; 05-12-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 G12 750ix 2014 F31
Quote:
Originally Posted by southcoastguy View Post
Not covered under lemon law. You must have the same problem that the dealer has made numerous tries to fix in a certain period of time without success.
Not exactly so, depending on state law. If your car is out of commission for certain number of days, regardless of whether it is a repeat problem, at least some states cover it. I am pretty sure NY is one. Of course, if each time there is a problem, it gets fixed within a day or two, even repreated problems will not b e enough.
Other: '14 F31
Other: '14 MB E350 wagon
Past: 3, 5 (E39 and F10), 7 & 8 series BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, Alfa Romeo GTV, MGB, Toyota Celica, Lincoln, Saab, Volvo, Audi A6, A4, and others (yes I am old )
Old 05-12-2019, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
Not exactly so, depending on state law. If your car is out of commission for certain number of days, regardless of whether it is a repeat problem, at least some states cover it. I am pretty sure NY is one. Of course, if each time there is a problem, it gets fixed within a day or two, even repreated problems will not b e enough.

BMW Customer Relations is pretty good at addressing these issues and it doesn’t technically have to be classified as a “lemon” to qualify as a buyback. Best course of action is to contact BMW Corporate in NJ and if that doesn’t progress depending on what type of resolution the OP is looking for then it may make sense to look for an attorney. Anyway, my 2 cents based on experience dealing with this.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Is this your first BMW?

The lower shutters is a known issue, one which is affecting many BMW models, not just G30's. A part that BMW sourced from a supplier has quality problems and fails frequently. Like the notorious Takata airbag inflators, that is more the supplier's fault than BMW's.

The issue with the seat is relatively common, and usually caused by a fluid spill on the seat.. If your passenger spilled their bottle of Poland Springs, or if you left the windows / sunroof open and it rained, that would explain the issue. I suspect the tech at your dealership wrote the case up as a defective control unit to get BMW to repair it under warranty (a fluid spill is not a warranty claim, and you would have eaten the cost of the repair).

The issues with the water pumps are unusual. I have not heard of that happening to others.

BMW's tend to be on the bleeding edge of technology, and stuff can go wrong, particularly in the early model years of a new body style. Folks who cannot tolerate that are happier owning a Japanese or Korean car. Folks who buy or lease a BMW for its traditional values - you know, the way it DRIVES - and who want a lot of tech in their car overlook those teething pains.

BTW for the guy who was "lamenting" the replacement of good old metal parts with plastics or composites: I assume you never fly in an airplane? And never watch Formula 1? And never marveled at the way Dick Rutan's designs have pushed mankind's envelope? The amount of composites involved in any of those would like make you apoplectic.
Yes, it is my first BMW and probably the last. My previous car was Ford Mustang and I sold it after 5 years with 55,000 miles on it. The only issue I had with it was a malfunction speed sensor which occurred after 3 years of use.
For the passenger seat, rarely that there is sitting on the passenger seat and nobody spilled any kind of fluid inside the car. When passenger seat's issue started to appear, it was snowing time, so windows and sunroof were always closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southcoastguy View Post
I checked, it has to be eight service visits for separate issues within one year, or 3 unsuccessful attempts to fix the same issue. I'm not there yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Ten View Post
While this does sound like a larger than normal set of failures, I would say it is not hugely out of the ordinary and in any even as you said the dealer fixed everything under warranty and gave you a loaner car each time so other than having to go to the dealer you were only minimally inconvenienced. I agree that is very annoying but with today's quite complex cars--of any brand--it sounds like the dealer and BMW took care of all the problems with a minimal of hassle. I have experience with certain GM dealers and they are not nearly as accommodating. If you otherwise enjoy the car I would give it a bit more time and see if things settle down. --Bob
True, the dealer took care of everything, but I am worried after warranty expires. I visited the dealer 4 times in just less than a year. I cannot imagine the situation after 3-4 years when warranty is over. I hope this is it for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal535 View Post
Contact BMW customer relations in New Jersey via phone/email and document every conversation and email. Look to escalate the process through their channels and be persistent. If your issues continue you may qualify for a buyback which will date back to the 1st time you brought your car in for a repair for any reason. If it's a lease they may refund all of you lease payments to date plus registration, etc. and let you out of the remainder of the lease agreement. If it was a purchase they may offer to buy the car back dating back to your 1st repair by giving a check when you surrender the vehicle. You can find all of the relevant info on BMWUSA.com. Just be thorough in your email and conversations and express your concerns/anxiety dealing with these repairs and safety issues. There's no rhyme or reason why some people have a good experience and other's a bad one. Good luck.
I will give that a chance next week, but I doubt that anything will come out of it. My car is a purchase.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Who is your insurer? I have GEICO and it added mechanical breakdown insurance authomatically to my policy when I switched to my current car. That policy is only costing me about $10 a month and it sits behind the OEM warranty with a $250 per incident deductible and will run through 7 years and 100K miles.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:02 AM
silberma1

Interesting comment about using a METAL pipe to carry a hyper-corrosive and extremely hot water and glycol mixture under pressure. Yeah, that would work really, really well. Because, well, engineering. I know you just love to bash BMW's, but what materials does your Hyundai use for this task? I've attached the parts diagram for your G80 if that helps:

Lets get the record straight. My current 2019 540i is my third BMW. If I thought that they were terrible cars I would not buy them. I like their look, workmanship and driving dynamics and am willing to put up with some of their issues. However, I will not be forced by the forum members to accept blind loyalty to BMW. The cars are not perfect and can use improvements. to name a few. Get rid or fix of the problematic shutters they are more trouble than worth. How about retracting the seat when you open the door instead of only raising the steering wheel. How about muting the radio when the navigation provides directions. How about getting rid of the sport seats and making multi-contour standard. How about making safety features standard like Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Nissan, etc.
PS Water and Ethylene glycol is not corrosive it has been used for decades with Aluminum radiators and iron water pumps with no detrimental effect.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury

Lets get the record straight. My current 2019 540i is my third BMW. If I thought that they were terrible cars I would not buy them. I like their look, workmanship and driving dynamics and am willing to put up with some of their issues. However, I will not be forced by the forum members to accept blind loyalty to BMW. The cars are not perfect and can use improvements. to name a few. Get rid or fix of the problematic shutters they are more trouble than worth. How about retracting the seat when you open the door instead of only raising the steering wheel. How about muting the radio when the navigation provides directions. How about getting rid of the sport seats and making multi-contour standard. How about making safety features standard like Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Nissan, etc.
PS Water and Ethylene glycol is not corrosive it has been used for decades with Aluminum radiators and iron water pumps with no detrimental effect.
I think you may have meant to put some QUOTE brackets around the first part of your reply, as I did above -- maybe edit your post to correct it? It makes it look like the whole reply was your wording.

Last edited by markl53; 05-13-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:49 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
He's trying to find quote brackets which are made of metal.
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search