dealer drilled sloppy holes on my new 440 front bumper cover - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto:
dealer drilled sloppy holes on my new 440 front bumper cover

This is a beautiful brand new 440 I drove back three weeks ago. Then found the license plate was uneven. After removing bracket, I found the holes on M sport front bumper were so sloppily drilled that one hole is way off center and sits alomost to touch the crease of bumper.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8392.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	854095
so one side of license plate tilts up.

I came to dealer and they sent me to their collision center. I thought they planned to replace the bumper. But finally the guys in collision center only cut the screw holes on bracket larger and used washer and larger screws to adapt the bracket to the off center holes on bumper.

Final look is like

Name:	IMG_8396.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	854099

I removed stupid dealer ad frame and installed a black one but it still look ugly by sitting higher than bumper crease

Name:	IMG_8522.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	854101

Now the plate is even, but because one hole is very close to bumper crease or its upper edge, the hacked bracket sits now higher than normal. It extended out of bumper crease and starts to block kidney grilles.

I feel frustrated that they treated $60k new car like this. Am I over reacting or OCD? What should I do? Should I push them to replace the bumper and then leave it without plate at all.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

Last edited by stobit; 06-05-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2019, 12:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
1. Buy a Ryobe drill.
2. Go drill two holes in the hood of a new 7 Series on their lot.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:35 PM

My last car with a front tag was a '92 Nissan Sentra.

I looked at the uninstalled holder for Frau Putzer's X3. It has four holes for mounting it to the bumper and what look like alignment tabs that go under the bumper.

A new bumper cover would be about $2k.

Bumper putty and spot painting will not be a proper repair. Paint only sticks to primer, not to other paint.

Big picture... you don't want those morons ever touching your car again.

Take some pictures of other BMW's of the same model (and M Sport) with properly installed front tag holders. Then, sue the dealer in small claims court. for a new bumper cover. Don't let them do the work. They will be motivated to further trash your car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2019, 02:17 PM

My F10's uninstalled holder has two tabs at the bottom which have 90-degree bends in them (so they're pointing up). They fit into slits in the underside of the bumper (above the bottom grill work). I bet your holder had (past tense) similar tabs.

Those holes they drilled are probably close enough to where there's supposed to be that they would weaken holes drilled in the proper place. You might have to replace the foam behind the bumper cover, too.

BMW dealerships out there probably have OE tag holders in stock, and they shouldn't be expensive. Buy one and you can see how/where you holder was supposed to be.

Lawyer up, and find a new BMW dealership.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bmw f10 front tag holder.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	854105  

Last edited by Autoputzer; 06-05-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto:

Thanks for the reply....I looked at my factory plate bracket coming with F36. It has no tabs at the bottom or back.

so it is all stupid dealerís discretion how to center it.

I looked at many online pictures of M sport bumper with a front tag. It looked like most (not so stupid and floppy)dealer use bumper crease to align the plate bracket so 1. bracket is even and 2. bracket sit below bumper crease, the upper part of bumper and grilles are not blocked by bracket. At least it doesnít ruin the look of bumper.

Mine is just way up bumper crease. Hardly to see another front tag installed on 440 like dealer did on mine

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

Last edited by stobit; 06-05-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 328Ci, X5M, i3
that's ugly brother. I feel your pain. I would go back and talk to the general manager. I would look at the plates that have installed on their loaner cars to compare before that.
But definitely get this fixed.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 08 650I Convertible
57 years in a state with front plates, now in Florida with NO front plate requirement... I kinda like it.....
Old 06-09-2019, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 650xi, 2011 Z4 35is
None of my cars have front plates and we live on a two plate state. Iíve never had a cop even look at me wrong and i had two accidents that werenít my fault in two different cars in the past year. Both times the cops had to walk to the back of each car to get the plate numbers and neither cop said a word about no front plate. My daughter is based in California in the Navy and has two BMWís and neither have front plates and has never had a problem. If some idiot from a dealership even came close to my cars with a drill he wouldnít be able to walk away. The dealership I deal with doesnít even install the front brackets.

2011 Z4 sDrive35is Deep Sea Blue Metallic/Ivory White Nappa (Sold)
2014 X5 xDrive50i Mineral White/Back Dakota (retired)
2015 650xi Gran Coupe Space Grey/Black Nappa (Sold)
2015 M4 Austin Yellow Metallic - Daughter's Car
2015 328i Mineral Grey Metallic - Daughter's Daily Driver
2016 X6 xDrive35i Black Sapphire/ Cognac/Black Bi-Color Nappa
2016 435xi Convertible Black Sapphire/Black Dekota (Sold)
2014 640xi Gran Coupe Alpine White/Black Dakota
Old 06-09-2019, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-sport

I bought mine new in CA too, and my salesman told me they only put a front plate on if the buyer requests it. (I donít have one).

2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, SAT, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Seats, Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto:
That looks bad. Sorry
Old 06-15-2019, 04:35 AM
This Space 4 Rent

Mein Auto: 17 F33 B58 xDrive
A front plate is an eyesore no matter how or how well its mounted. There is no excuse for how that was drilled. At least if they were at tha same height and a tad lower they could be later faked with push in plugs and not look too bad. Knowing that cars often cross state lines once a few years old you would think they would just use two way tape to fix a bracket to the bumper cover. It won't come off under normal use and can be carefully warmed up and removed without a scar.

The front bracket for Euro Delivery cars it just on with two way tape. The stuff is all that's holding many trim items on millions of cars. Maybe a white frame would stand out less?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2017 440i xDrive M Sport Convertible - European Delivery March 2017 - Glacier Silver - Black - Ash Grain - M Sport Brakes - 442M 19s Orbit Grey - Variable Sport Steering -
Adaptive M Suspension - Driving Assistance Package - Technology Package - Top / Side View Cameras - JB+
Old 06-15-2019, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 435i RWD Convertible
That is an ugly shame. Demand a new bumper and perhaps get a "no holes" mount such as this:
https://carbonio.com/products/bmw-fr...nt-msport-cell

Best to you.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin

2016 435i Individual - Citrin Black / Nutmeg Extended Merino Leather
Old 06-22-2019, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: 328ix sdn; M240ix cpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaker55 View Post
None of my cars have front plates and we live on a two plate state. I've never had a cop even look at me wrong and i had two accidents that weren't my fault in two different cars in the past year. Both times the cops had to walk to the back of each car to get the plate numbers and neither cop said a word about no front plate. My daughter is based in California in the Navy and has two BMW's and neither have front plates and has never had a problem. If some idiot from a dealership even came close to my cars with a drill he wouldn't be able to walk away. The dealership I deal with doesn't even install the front brackets.

First, just because you've gotten away with it, doesn't mean it isn't still compulsory where it's compulsory. Second, I'm sure the dealership has come close to your cars with a drill or otherwise. In states that have two plate requirements, dealership are supposed to be required to install, but obviously people just hardly see the laws being enforced. Third, if you don't like license plates, then don't buy a car.

Last edited by imtjm; 06-22-2019 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: depends
On one of my cars I use double sided tape and on the other I use a tow-hook mount. No holes drilled in either one.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search