Cooling system overhaul issues bleeding - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto:
Cooling system overhaul issues bleeding

I installed the mishimoto radiator with expansion tank, hoses and a Stewart Water Pump. I've been stuck with bleeding air out of the system. I ran the car for close to 2 hours revving the engine and running the heater at full blast. The heater will get hot when revving it. But as soon as I let off the gas, coolant will start to splurge from the bleeder valve on the mishimoto tank and the heater will get mildly warm again. I open the valve a little more and more coolant start spraying out and the. Eventually a lot of foamy air and bubbles again. I turn the car off and coolant will start to spill out the valve again, followed by air and then nothing. My friend says it can't be the head gasket, but idk. It's not smoking, the oil looks fine. But still can't bleed the air right...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2019, 03:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535iX M Sport
What car is this?
Old 06-13-2019, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto:
1994 BMW E36 325i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2019, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto:
What is over heating before??
Old 06-13-2019, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto:
Yeah. It had a leak in the plastic expansion tank. I'd top it off every once in a while, but forgot to keep up with it one week and started to overheat. I pulled over right away. As soon as I noticed it started to get past the half mark
Old 06-14-2019, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto:
The way I remember doing those would remove the bleeder screw from where it is. Fill coolant until It starts to bubble out the bleeder.continue to fill once you have a steady flow out the bleeder. Close bleeder off with screw then run car w/ heat to windshield ac off. Temp should be hot. Like piping hot easy to tell with hand near vent at windshield. Shut off allow to cool. Top of. Test drive. Still with heat to windshield. High revs ever so often. Recheck coolant leve make sure no leaks. That should be it
Old 06-16-2019, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto:
It's the process I've been following. I also jacked up the car. It'll hiss out air, and then coolant, and then air. When I shut the car off it splits coolamt out of the bleeder hole and won't stop until it's spilt at least half a liter of coolant and then air. Is this normal? I don't want to keep running the car and risk doing damage
Old 06-19-2019, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto:
Next best thing is testing. If you can get hold of a combustion leak tester. It would be easier to tell. Also check your dipstick. See if you're getting milky

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search