F30 electric seats retrofit - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects that have helped you keep your BMW running. For questions about how to fix your BMW use the model specific forums. All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 01-16-2016, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto: F30
F30 electric seats retrofit

My 2012 F30 320d originally come with cloth manual seats. Luckily, sourced a set of leather sport seats with full electric adjustment + memory +heating + rear split folding. Several month ago, I spent a whole day got this fitted according to wiring diagram in ISTA-D. Since there's nobody help, haven't took photos. So this is mainly a brief guide of parts purchase and wiring.

Parts: (I always buy extra pin/contacts just in case. So the quantity below is usually one or two more than what you actually need.)

Contacts in front fuse box (Z7)

Double leaf spring contact 2,5 MM˛ *2 61130007438 (For mini fuses)

Double leaf spring contact 2,5 MM˛ *5 61130007440 (For standard fuses)

Contacts in Yellow sockets under front seats (Driver side X14*1b; Passenger side X12*1b)

Socket contact ELO-Power 5,2x0,63 1,0- 2,5 MM˛ *5 61138364842

Socket contact ELO-Power 2,8x0,63 1,5-2,5 MM˛ *3 61138364834

Bushing contact 0,2- 0,5MM˛ *5 61130005197

Bushing contact 0.75MM˛ *3 61130006663

Ground Point

Flat contact, fan connector 1,5-2,5 MM˛ *4 61131387144

Wiring:

Before start, its necessary to disconnect battery. If not, the airbag light gonna light up. You will have to use scan tool or ISTA-D to delete fault memory. Seats, door sills, side & upper panels of both side footwell need to be removed. Open bonnet, remove one plastic trim and locate the front fuse box (Z7). After removing its water proof lid, insert something in to the gap between either side of fuse panel and waterproof box. Try to gentally pry the panel out. Don't use too much force. If you pry the right position, it should be very easy to come out. If not, move the pry tool up and down to try another place. According to my faded memory, there should be two clips on each side bottom conner. Prying on any one would do the trick. Besides, since you will need to feed some wires from driver side to passenger side through the gap between centre console and firewall, some feeding tool would be very helpful. Depend on the ground points you choose, you may need to remove some more trims for access. The ISTA-D shows the factory use points beneath carpet which are not easy to access.

1. X14*1b Driver side yellow socket

Click image for larger version

Name:	X14.jpg
Views:	3111
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	546513

Since my driver seat has memory module, the heating function is controlled by this module which is on K-can. However, if yours have only adjustment and heating, these will be controlled by heating module on LIN, whose wiring will be similar to my passenger side.

PIN1, Back width & lumbar power (0.75 MM˛ wire) - Z7(front fuse box) Fuse 27

PIN5, K-CAN L (GN);0.35 MM˛ wire - A88*1b iDrive Controller PIN4;
PIN6, K-CAN H (OR/GN), 0.35 MM˛ wire -A88*1b iDrive Controller PIN3;
(Above two pins eventually connect to FEM A173*8B PIN51 and FEM A173*8B PIN52 respectively. But considering the accessibility, tapping to iDrive controller is a better choice.)

PIN15, Control/memory module power, 2.5 MM˛ wire, - Z7 Fuse 67

PIN16, Ground, 2.5 MM˛ wire, - I use the factory ones behind two rear side bolsters. Use fan connectors.

2. X12*1b Passenger side yellow socket

PIN8, LIN Bus, this control seat heating, 0.35 MM˛ wire - REM, (above battery in the trunk) A174*14b PIN18

Name:	REM A174 14b.jpg
Views:	1835
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	546515

PIN15, seat heating power, 2.5 MM˛ wire, - Z7 Fuse 68

PIN16, Ground, 2.5 MM˛ wire, I use the factory ones behind two rear side bolsters. Use fan connectors.

PIN25, Power of seat adjustment, 2.5 MM˛ wire, Z7 Fuse 64

PIN26, Ground, 2.5 MM˛ wire, I use the factory ones behind two rear side bolsters. Use fan connectors

Coding

Now all adjustments and memory should be functional. But if you wanna link the positing memory to the keys, you will need to add 459 to VO and VO code FEM and HU. In some cases, CAFD injection to SM/SM2 may be also required.

For seat heating, obviously, a new AC panel with heating buttons is a must. Then add 494 and vo code IHKA.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Z7.jpg
Views:	1676
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	546514  

Last edited by everywill; 01-17-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2016, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: bmw f30m
Electric seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by everywill View Post
My 2012 F30 320d originally come with cloth manual seats. Luckily, sourced a set of leather sport seats with full electric adjustment + memory +heating + rear split folding. Several month ago, I spent a whole day got this fitted according to wiring diagram in ISTA-D. Since there's nobody help, haven't took photos. So this is mainly a brief guide of parts purchase and wiring.

Parts: (I always buy extra pin/contacts just in case. So the quantity below is usually one or two more than what you actually need.)

Contacts in Yellow sockets under front seats (Driver side X14*1b; Passenger side X12*1b)

Ground Point

Wiring:

Before start, its necessary to disconnect battery. If not, the airbag light gonna light up. You will have to use scan tool or ISTA-D to delete fault memory. Seats, door sills, side & upper panels of both side footwell need to be removed. Open bonnet, remove one plastic trim and locate the front fuse box (Z7). After removing its water proof lid, insert something in to the gap between either side of fuse panel and waterproof box. Try to gentally pry the panel out. Don't use too much force. If you pry the right position, it should be very easy to come out. If not, move the pry tool up and down to try another place. According to my faded memory, there should be two clips on each side bottom conner. Prying on any one would do the trick. Besides, since you will need to feed some wires from driver side to passenger side through the gap between centre console and firewall, some feeding tool would be very helpful. Depend on the ground points you choose, you may need to remove some more trims for access. The ISTA-D shows the factory use points beneath carpet which are not easy to access.

Attachment 546513

Since my driver seat has memory module, the heating function is controlled by this module which is on K-can. However, if yours have only adjustment and heating, these will be controlled by heating module on LIN, whose wiring will be similar to my passenger side.

(Above two pins eventually connect to FEM A173*8B PIN51 and FEM A173*8B PIN52 respectively. But considering the accessibility, tapping to iDrive controller is a better choice.)

PIN16, Ground, 2.5 MM˛ wire, - I use the factory ones behind two rear side bolsters. Use fan connectors.

PIN8, LIN Bus, this control seat heating, 0.35 MM˛ wire - REM, (above battery in the trunk) A174*14b PIN18
Attachment 546515

PIN16, Ground, 2.5 MM˛ wire, I use the factory ones behind two rear side bolsters. Use fan connectors.

PIN26, Ground, 2.5 MM˛ wire, I use the factory ones behind two rear side bolsters. Use fan connectors

Coding

Now all adjustments and memory should be functional. But if you wanna link the positing memory to the keys, you will need to add 459 to VO and VO code FEM and HU. In some cases, CAFD injection to SM/SM2 may be also required.

For seat heating, obviously, a new AC panel with heating buttons is a must. Then add 494 and vo code IHKA.

Hello

I followed the post.
when you connect the battery, I retention system error.
any solution??
Thanks

Last edited by carallo; 10-29-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 420d F32 2015
Hi everywill!
Great writeup and impresive work!
I got some questions as im about to do the same retrofit.

My passenger seat and driver seat looks kind of the same. Both have the big module and missing pin 25 and 26 (into seat)

Should i do the wires like the driver seat x2 then?
What about the LIN to REM?
Should i tap pin5 and pin6 from both seats to iDrive controller?

Many questions now..Hope you dont mine!

Great work you have done anyway!

Best regards Chris

Last edited by haack; 05-09-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2017, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 420d F32 2015
@carallo:
Was the system error on airbag system or anything else?

Best regards chris
Old 11-24-2017, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: F31
Quote:
Originally Posted by haack View Post
Hi everywill!
Great writeup and impresive work!
I got some questions as im about to do the same retrofit.

My passenger seat and driver seat looks kind of the same. Both have the big module and missing pin 25 and 26 (into seat)

Should i do the wires like the driver seat x2 then?
What about the LIN to REM?
Should i tap pin5 and pin6 from both seats to iDrive controller?

Many questions now..Hope you dont mine!

Great work you have done anyway!

Best regards Chris
Hi, did you manage to make it work?

Thank you
Old 09-20-2018, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: E93 328i
Awesome write up. I am so happy with this and that you also mentioned the part numbers and everything. It has given me the courage to try it myself.

I switched from manual cloth seats to manual leather sport seats. But the new seats have lumbar support and seat heating which my previous seats did not have so some wiring is needed.

I will attempt to connect pin 1 to fuse 27 in z7.

If that works I will try to figure out the seat heating part also.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto:
Hello guys,

Since this is quite an old thread, i am not even sure you guys are still on the forum. I am basically new to this forum and was about to do this diy by myself. This is one the nicest write up on how to wire the electronic seats. Since i am still a beginner at this type of stuff, I was hoping if someone can assist me with this installation.

According to my understanding :

There are two wires coming separately from Fuse 27 (Z7 fuse box) and then being connected to Pin 1 in each individual seat right or can i have 1 wire coming from the Fuse 27 and then split into two connections?

Also what type of wires am i using for the install?

Any help or guidance you can provide will be extremely helpful. Thank you
Old 04-07-2019, 12:53 AM

Mein Auto: E93 328i
Hi, the cable you need is described in the first post. For mini fuses (lumbar support) you need cable 61130007438 and for standard fuses (seat movement and seat heating you need 61130007440. You can order these from the dealer.

On my car I needed a special wire with double head for fuse 27. Fuse 27 has a and b entry on the back of the fuse box.

For seat movement and seat heating you have the bigger fuses. You need to pull one cable per fuse to a seat. Best to look at the fuse box diagram of you car to know which fuse exactly. I think on my car it was from fuse 56 to driver seat and from 57 to passenger seat.

Then on the yellow connector from the side of the seat you can see where the wire should go in if you look closely. Some numbers will be empty and some will have a connection behind it. When you look at the yellow connector on the seat you will know what I mean. The wires that go into this yellow connector are different. The numbers are in the opening post.

You also need some wires going from the seat yellow connector to ground point.

On YouTube search for "Z7 fuse box". There is one video that shows how a new connection to fuse box is made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashe View Post
Hello guys,

Since this is quite an old thread, i am not even sure you guys are still on the forum. I am basically new to this forum and was about to do this diy by myself. This is one the nicest write up on how to wire the electronic seats. Since i am still a beginner at this type of stuff, I was hoping if someone can assist me with this installation.

According to my understanding :

There are two wires coming separately from Fuse 27 (Z7 fuse box) and then being connected to Pin 1 in each individual seat right or can i have 1 wire coming from the Fuse 27 and then split into two connections?

Also what type of wires am i using for the install?

Any help or guidance you can provide will be extremely helpful. Thank you
Old 04-09-2019, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto:
Thank you so much for your help. You are a real life saver. I was thinking of doing the install over the weekend and will let you know how it goes.

Your comments did help me get through so much. Thank you again
Old 04-19-2019, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto:
Hello again,

Sorry to bother you all again, i did the retrofit today excluding the coding. My memory button doesnt work, is that normal before coding?

Also i was a little confused about the wiring that goes to the idrive controller.
So i basically cut and spilt the wire 3 and fused the two wires together from PIN5, K-CAN L (GN);0.35 MM˛ wire - A88*1b iDrive Controller PIN4 fused together and then one end connects to the idrive controller and the same thing for the other that comes from underneath the seat and attach to the wire 4 on the idrive controller. I have attached a rough picture of what i thought the idrive controller i thought. Is this the right way and place to wire it? [

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Kashe; 04-21-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto:
Links to the images:

https://ibb.co/kMtxF7H

https://ibb.co/ZJ3590n

Last edited by Kashe; 04-21-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto:
Hello,

Im new to all this, only stumbled across this community because of this post.

I was thinking of doing this retrofit, do you know how much this has cost you in total?

Cheers!
Old 07-08-2019, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerMyBadger View Post
Hello,

Im new to all this, only stumbled across this community because of this post.

I was thinking of doing this retrofit, do you know how much this has cost you in total?

Cheers!

It all depends on how much you can get the heated seats for because you would need to remove your old ones and fit new ones instead. Wires etc dont cost much at all. This thread is really good, if you read it carefully literally everything you need is written in the 1st post and the above comments but if you still need a help just ask.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto:
Hey guys,

I don't if there is still someone who can help me here cause this topic is kinda old, but I will try.
I have bought the same seats as it is described in the first post. Instead of doing all the wiring by myself, I gave my car to some "pros" to handle it. Unlikely they weren't so good at it. As I know they did all the wiring but the driver seat is still not working properly, while the passengers seat works perfectly all the time. What can be the reason that when I unlock the car, driver seat works just for about 3 minutes? After 3 minutes all the driver seat functions stop working, while the passengers still work without ant problem. Also, ISTA-D is not showing the driver seat module (SMFA) on the control unit tree.
Where could be the problem?
Old 10-14-2019, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto:
Not sure what could be causing that. Even if you dont code your car for electric seats the normal seat operation should work. You should still be able to move your seats as the already are getting a power from the FEM but the heated seats wont work until coded.

ISTA-D wont show the module if they are not coded in.
Also does your memory button light up when pressed?
Old 10-17-2019, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashe View Post
Not sure what could be causing that. Even if you dont code your car for electric seats the normal seat operation should work. You should still be able to move your seats as the already are getting a power from the FEM but the heated seats wont work until coded.

ISTA-D wont show the module if they are not coded in.
Also does your memory button light up when pressed?
The thing is that after my car has been locked for a while or it is in "sleeping mode" (dont know how to call it) and once I unlock it, driver seat works normally for a few minutes and yeah the memory button also lights up.

I will try to check the wiring this weekend, maybe something is not connected properly...
Old 11-03-2019, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 320D F31 Luxury
Hi,
I did this retrofit with success.
I have only one issue.
Missing Lin Slave seat heating passenger.

I connected LIN from Pin 8 of Seat Connector x12*1b to rem pin 18 a174*14b.

Any Hint about it?
Old 11-10-2019, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by everywill View Post

Ground Point

Wiring:

Attachment 546513

Attachment 546515

Coding

this interesting is very good. However, I believe some pictures and maybe a video will help with an excellent visual aid, please. Thank you.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto:
following

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Today's Posts Search