E34 or E39 Help! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:46 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 518i e34
E34 or E39 Help!

Hi. I have a Bmw 518i 1995 E34 driver for 300tkm which i bought from a car dealership for 2500€ but after driving it for a year it has started to push out gear. (The gears won't stay in for a long while) and the clutch is getting worn out. but the interior and exterior is in perfect condition. there is almost no rust whatsoever. But then this same dealer who i bought my e34 from now have a e39 528i 1996 driven:420tkm for sale for 1900€ it has some rust on the exterior but the interior is in perfect condition almost brand new. So basicly my question is would you guys trade in my e34 for the e39 (No money in between just exchange cars).

Thnaks for all the Replys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2016, 04:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Welcome to Bimmerfest!

Rust is something that is always a concern. If the car has enough rust, the structural integrity of the whole car may be in question. I would have a professional body shop look at it before buying. The E39 under consideration is now 20 years old.

BMW CCA member
Old 08-31-2016, 04:44 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 518i e34
I have the tools so i might be able to fix it myself. But what about the 420tkm, is that to much? How long do you think its gonna last until it needs a major repair. The Engine is a m52b28 which iv heard is a really good motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2016, 07:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragster View Post
I have the tools so i might be able to fix it myself. But what about the 420tkm, is that to much? How long do you think its gonna last until it needs a major repair. The Engine is a m52b28 which iv heard is a really good motor.
I think the M52 series engines are really great. I have an M52B25 in my E46 sedan. It has (so far) been a durable and reliable engine. But I maintain my engine meticulously. I keep the oil changed, and have replaced the cooling system.

That said, 420.000 km is a LOT of kilometers! The engine in that E39 is probably fairly tired. With good maintenance, the engine may reach 500.000 km. But (in my opinion), that engine may need repairs or replacement, in the not-too-distant future.

BMW CCA member

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search