4862 and 4990 on 2010 X5 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 07-16-2017, 01:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Diesel
4862 and 4990 on 2010 X5

Just picked up 2010 X5d with 100k

Coolant temp was hanging around low 60s*, horrible fuel econ, a couple pending codes but no CEL and passed emissions as-is (as-was).
I put in a thermostat yesterday, desperately trying to get the car to regen.

After the thermostat (main only), I went on a 30 min highway drive.
Temps were good ranging from 85* to 88*. There was an ordered Regen that looks like it started to take place, egt up to 1050*f, then dropped (cancelled?).

I pulled over, cleared all the pending codes from earlier and started again. It looks like the car tried to regen again, getting to about 900* before dropping back to normal. I still read 22+bar (I think?) pre cat pressure.

I have two soft codes that keep returning after driving short distances (on 3 consecutive trips):
4862 Air System, Air to EGR Mass Flow Plausibility
and
4990 Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor Before Turbocharger Plausibility

The Thermo job went alright, one of the coolant connections got caught behind the EGR after install, so I had to squeeze it past the plastic arm on the EGR vacuum valve underneath the cooler. Hoping that didnt damage the arm assembly. Thinking that was a culprit, I tested it with vacuum. First attempt held no vacuum, so I cut 1/4" off each end of the lower hose for a better seal. Now it will actuate the valve at 15 in hg, and the valve returns when released. When I try to actuate it from the T-junction further up, it appears I have a small leak, not sure how to test the electric valve, going to replace both lines with new today and retest.

I saw lpcapitals thread posts where he had to trick the DDE into thinking the pressure was closer than it was, but I don't think mine is as severe since I didnt get any lights for DPF and dont have any glow issues. (plus it seems like the car made a legitimate effort to regen after the thermo).

Any insight to what my biggest hurdle is? How I can make this regenerate? My (general service) scanner can read most pids and can operate some actuators, but can't test SCR functions.

Thanks
Sorry for the crosspost, just registered here.

Last edited by dzlbimmer; 07-16-2017 at 01:44 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts
Today's Posts Search