Dynamic Damper effect - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 G01 (2018 - current)

X3 G01 (2018 - current)
The third generation X3 starts production in August of 2017 and will include the new X3 M40i top of the line performance model.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: Soon to be X3 xDrive30i
Dynamic Damper effect

Hi all. New here. Eyeing a new X3 soon.

Is the Dynamic Damper Control add-on merely automatic handling of the Sport/Comfort/Eco options, or does it add something else to the mix?

Thanks.

Soon to be X3 xDrive30i
Currently 2017 Jeep Cherokee V6 ADII
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2020, 04:09 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
I believe that it adds something else to the mix, something very expensive. Damper is Euro-speak for shock absorber.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:11 AM

Yes, it's expensive. But almost everything BMW is expensive. I asked because I've read materials that SEEM to imply that Dynamic Damper only decides, without driver intervention, whether to press the Sport, Comfort or Eco buttons. Maybe it's VERY good at that, but the question remains whether it does anything else but that.

Soon to be X3 xDrive30i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2020, 07:30 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
It adjusts the Dynamic Damping of the Damper / Shock Absorbers.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:38 AM

But isn't that what manually pressing the Sport/Comfort/Eco buttons does? Am I missing something obvious?

Soon to be X3 xDrive30i
Old 05-24-2020, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: F25 28xi
check my previous post where I asked this question along with a bunch of other questions, and fellow bimmerfesters answered in details

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1380453

They also shared these links with me that proved to be very informative

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...t+differential
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...t+differential
Old 05-24-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreg376 View Post
But isn't that what manually pressing the Sport/Comfort/Eco buttons does? Am I missing something obvious?
When you don't have the adaptive suspension option, these buttons merely control the engine response, transmission and steering, but not the dampers. When you have the adaptive M suspension option, there's an additional "adaptive" button that is added to those modes, that signifies that changing modes will also change the suspension stiffness.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbec View Post
When you don't have the adaptive suspension option, these buttons merely control the engine response, transmission and steering, but not the dampers. When you have the adaptive M suspension option, there's an additional "adaptive" button that is added to those modes, that signifies that changing modes will also change the suspension stiffness.
Ahhh, I see, thank you. Do you know if the adaptive suspension has a significant impact on ride comfort on-road but on rougher roadways?

Soon to be X3 xDrive30i
Old 05-24-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreg376 View Post
Ahhh, I see, thank you. Do you know if the adaptive suspension has a significant impact on ride comfort on-road but on rougher roadways?
I am yet to drive one with the adaptive suspension as dealers don't usually spec their cars on the lot with it, and you usually have to custom order one to get it - which is exactly what I did. I'm not sure if you're interested in the 30i or the M40i; I felt the base suspension on the 30i was too soft for my likings, so I would strongly consider it if you're getting the 30i. However, the M40's base suspension imho is a lot better. I'm not sure what your budget is, but the difference between the 30i and the M40i in general is night and day, so I would take the M40 for a drive before making any decisions.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 G01 (2018 - current)
Today's Posts Search