Radio Static when Headlights on - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)

X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
The second generation X3 added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 05-20-2020, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Check for shorts is pretty general. Shorts where? Most shorts will blow a fuse.
You ever had a short so miniscule that it drains a battery but doesn't blow a fuse? I would start by measuring the impedance across ground to the negative lead, ground to the positive lead, then the positive lead to the negative lead. That's just a start. If there are any large variances from connector to connector, I'd say it's a possibility for a short.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 01:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4MC , Corrado G60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NytWolf View Post
You ever had a short so miniscule that it drains a battery but doesn't blow a fuse? I would start by measuring the impedance across ground to the negative lead, ground to the positive lead, then the positive lead to the negative lead. That's just a start. If there are any large variances from connector to connector, I'd say it's a possibility for a short.
Generally, impedance is used to measure AC circuits, and resistance is used to measure DC circuits. Most of the circuits in the vehicle are DC. Are you saying to measure impedance in the antenna system path? Not even sure what values would be good or bad.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:43 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Generally, impedance is used to measure AC circuits, and resistance is used to measure DC circuits. Most of the circuits in the vehicle are DC. Are you saying to measure impedance in the antenna system path? Not even sure what values would be good or bad.
You're overthinking it.

Any short circuit can cause RFC interference, and it doesn't have to be in the path of the antenna. But since OP's issue occurs when the light switch is switched on, that would imply to check all circuits that have to do with the lighting, right? I know I wasn't explicit about it, but I would start with all the bulb connectors.

Without a proper technical manual, I doubt anyone would be sure what values are good and which are not. But since a car is usually symmetrical, I mentioned that if variances are large, that would be a suspect circuit.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
You're overthinking it.

Any short circuit can cause RFC interference, and it doesn't have to be in the path of the antenna. But since OP's issue occurs when the light switch is switched on, that would imply to check all circuits that have to do with the lighting, right? I know I wasn't explicit about it, but I would start with all the bulb connectors.

Without a proper technical manual, I doubt anyone would be sure what values are good and which are not. But since a car is usually symmetrical, I mentioned that if variances are large, that would be a suspect circuit.
Not overthinking it, was just wondering where you were going with taking impedance measurements on DC circuits.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Not overthinking it, was just wondering where you were going with taking impedance measurements on DC circuits.
Not all shorts will blow a fuse.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Not all shorts will blow a fuse.
Resistance measurements are taken to verify shorts, not sure what impedance measurements on DC circuits will prove?
Old 05-20-2020, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Resistance measurements are taken to verify shorts, not sure what impedance measurements on DC circuits will prove?
Sure you can. Just gotta be practical about it. Can't take everything you read in a book and not apply it. In either case, you're arguing semantics and that's not helping OP.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Sure you can. Just gotta be practical about it. Can't take everything you read in a book and not apply it. In either case, you're arguing semantics and that's not helping OP.
You and maybe the OP understand how to take impedance measurements to troubleshoot their issue. I was trying to learn how you can diagnose DC circuits using impedance measurements, but I'll just stay out of it.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
You and maybe the OP understand how to take impedance measurements to troubleshoot their issue. I was trying to learn how you can diagnose DC circuits using impedance measurements, but I'll just stay out of it.
Yeah, it's best that you do (stay out of it, that is). Arguing semantics just isn't helping OP.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it's best that you do (stay out of it, that is). Arguing semantics just isn't helping OP.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:46 PM
From Chevelle to Novell

Mein Auto: x3/x5
Quote:
Check for shorts is pretty general. Shorts where? Most shorts will blow a fuse.
Well found the issue!! Thanks guys. I turns out it is the X3 F25 LED DRIVER for the rear taillights that I replaced last year. Not sure why I did not notice it then!

They are from HPL en.hiperlights.ru and I know others that have used them without issue. If I plug in the OEM one there is no issue. As soon as I plug in the HPL one my static returns. I only used 2 but I tried all 4 that I had and the same thing!

I sent them a email. I am curious on what they say.

Thanks all..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F25 Driver Board causing static.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	893757  
Old 05-24-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTTech View Post
Well found the issue!! Thanks guys. I turns out it is the X3 F25 LED DRIVER for the rear taillights that I replaced last year. Not sure why I did not notice it then!

They are from HPL en.hiperlights.ru and I know others that have used them without issue. If I plug in the OEM one there is no issue. As soon as I plug in the HPL one my static returns. I only used 2 but I tried all 4 that I had and the same thing!

I sent them a email. I am curious on what they say.

Thanks all..
That's great you got if figured out. So it was the tail lights like I recommended checking by unplugging. I thought that since they are so close to the antenna it may be causing the static. They weren't shorted, but are probably putting out some high frequency noise effecting the radio reception.

I've used these drivers on several vehicles with great success and they're only $6. https://www.ledsupply.com/blog/commo...ail-light-fix/
Old 05-24-2020, 05:13 PM
From Chevelle to Novell

Yep, that was it. I went from front to back with all the lights. That hard part was is that I had the AMP fixed and was out of the car for 4 months. When I got the AMP back I thought it was the issue. Then maybe it was the head unit as I sent that in with the AMP.

All in all it was the driver board. I am going to try a Ferrite Magnet to see if it help.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTTech View Post
All in all it was the driver board. I am going to try a Ferrite Magnet to see if it help.
Not sure is a Ferrite Magnet will make a difference since I believe the driver is putting out RF in the air and the antenna is picking it up, but it might be worth a try. Maybe try somehow shielding the driver with metal or aluminum foil to see if it effects the static.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:57 AM
From Chevelle to Novell

Well Ferrite Magnets did not fix the issue. It seems like it might of reduced it a little but it's still there.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search