Questions for e39 DICE Silverline users - Page 5 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
I concur with chiefwej as playlists may be the answer. I never used albums so I can't comment on that mode but I set up playlists or simply used shuffle. Both worked fine for me. My playlists worked fine, playing back in their recorded order, so finding a song was easy. Setting up the playlists on your ITunes is pretty easy and straighforward.

Alas, my poor e39 has gone to BMW heaven so unless I replace it, it's adios. I've greatly enjoyed this forum. Thanx for all the help and feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
playlists may be the answer
This seems logical. Right now, I don't use playlists and I have none set up in iTunes but I can, with a little work, set them up). I guess that's the way I'll go. I'll still try, someday, to write up an instruction set for using the DICE Silverline, if I could only figure it out (half the time it's stuck in some whacko mode where either the songs or the display are doing nothing like what I want).

Quote:
my poor e39 has gone to BMW heaven
I'm saddned, not only for you and your E39, but, for all of us, including me, who've benefited from all the help and advice you've provided! Good luck!
Old 01-23-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
I'll still try, someday, to write up an instruction set for using the DICE Silverline, if I could only figure it out (half the time it's stuck in some whacko mode where either the songs or the display are doing nothing like what I want).
Finally. Here is the instruction set for my DICE Silverline that I said I'd write up.

The intent is to print out this one page and store in the glove box, either for when you forget, or when your passenger hankers for a particular song.

Not only does the DICE Silverline with a 2nd generation iPod touch sound beautiful, but, finally, I can navigate through my five thousand songs (all organized by ID3-tagged albums).
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dice_silverline_instruction_set.gif
Views:	795
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	172800  

Last edited by bluebee; 01-23-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:49 AM

We need to more strongly consider alternative locations than the glove box

Quote:
Given four months of use, what is your opinion of the Silverline? Would you do it again?
The DICE Silverline in the E39 is a learning experience.

To update this thread, there are some conversations over in the other thread which make me want to recommend that people new to DICE more strongly consider locating the iPod closer to the driver than the glovebox.

See discussions over there ...
Old 01-29-2009, 10:38 AM

Amazing to see this thread still active. Anyway, I liked my DICE so much, I had to buy another e39 just to put it in!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:52 AM

Which is more useful? PHONO or RCA jacks (for DICE Silverline AUX)

Quote:
Amazing to see this thread still active.
Good for you on the replacement E39! I'm glad to see you still here.

As for this thread, I think it's great to ask specific questions of people who already installed their Silverline; certainly I'd do mine differently.

I have my replacement DICE so I'm going to put it back in. This time, I may as well add an AUX.

But, I'm not sure if it's 1/8th inch stereo or mono (I presume stereo if nobody says otherwise). More importantly, what should the other end be? (I have no immediate use so it should be whatever is most used.)

Should the other end be:
a) RCA male
b) RCA female
c) 1/8 stereo male
d) 1/8 stereo female

What is the most useful glovebox connector for a DICE Silverline AUX jack?
Old 02-02-2009, 12:53 PM

I don't know what AUX you are referring to so my answer may be inaccurate. If this is to establish an INPUT jack to a powered component (e.g. DICE) and will be used to rapidly connect or disconnect a source to the input, I would recommend using the 1/8" female jack. RCA jacks are intended for fixed connections between components (e.g. preamp to tuner) and are not intended for repeated disconnection/reconnection. 1/8" jacks are intended to be used for repeated disconnect/reconnect applications. The use of a female jack will preclude potential shorting of the conductors to the INPUT (if that is a problem). Male jacks are typically used on non-powered components (e.g. headphones) when shorting of the conductors does not create a problem.

Last edited by Fudman; 02-02-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:00 PM

Recommended 3 feet 1/8th inch male stereo plug to 1/8th inch female stereo plug

Quote:
I would recommend using the 1/8" female jack. RCA jacks are intended for fixed connections between components
Interesting.

To clarify, the DICE Silverline has TWO inputs:
- iPod input (which comes with an iPod-specific wire & connectors)
- AUX input (which does not come with a wire)

At the moment, I am using the iPod cable input.

But, while I'm at it replacing the DICE Silverline, I may as well add the AUX input just in case I hook up something to the radio (maybe my cell phone MP3 player, or a DVD player playing MP3 DVDs, or a non-Apple MP3 player, etc.).

That way, I can switch to AUX input, if I want to.

My question was which connector in the glovebox makes most sense, and, you seem to have answered that since it would be a multi-connect multi-disconnect kind of operation. That would make me lean toward the 1/8 inch stereo jack.

Likewise, you've said the female is the 'safer' of the two so I'd get a female 1/8th inch phono on the end for the glovebox.

Of course, I do realize that once I pick a piece of auxilliary equipment to connect, whatever is on THAT piece of equipment will be the right cable connector! But I don't know what that it at this time.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:50 PM

I should look at my DICE or at least, read the manual (but real men don't read the manual) as I didn't even KNOW that it had two inputs! As long as it works with my iPod, I guess I am good. lol
Old 02-02-2009, 06:25 PM

Just curious what other people use for the glovebox AUX connection?

Quote:
I didn't even KNOW that it had two inputs!
Yes. I comes with two inputs, but only one wire (the one for the iPod).
They leave you to choose what you want for your AUX wire.

I guess the 4 main choices are:
1. 1/8" male stereo to two RCA phono plugs (female)
2. 1/8" male stereo to two RCA phono plugs (male)
3. 1/8" male stereo to one 1/8" stereo plug (female)
4. 1/8" male stereo to one 1/8" stereo plug (male)

If I want to integrate my cellphone as an MP3 player, it would use the 1/8" male stereo plug; but if I want to use the portable DVD player as an MP3 player, it would use the two RCA phono plugs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dice_connectors.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	173786  
Old 02-23-2009, 11:13 AM

4. 1/8" male stereo to one 1/8" stereo plug (male)

BTW, I decided upon option #4 because it worked with my Blackberry if I ever want to use the Blackberry as an MP3 player ... (not sure why I'd want to if I already have an iPod but just in case)...

Three-foot (too short) 1/8" male stereo to one 1/8" male stereo plug

My only recommendation to others (which I wish I had understood before I bought and installed it) was that the three-foot cable from Radio Shack is about a foot too short to reach the driver comfortably. I'll add this to my list of things I wish I knew that I know now.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bmw_ipod 049.gif
Views:	30836
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	175649  

Last edited by bluebee; 02-23-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:26 PM

Check out http://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSCMM1 They have a 5 foot 1/8" plug to 1/8" plug for just $5.49. Too bad shipping is $6.99!!
Old 02-23-2009, 03:41 PM

Yup. That's the right size. I forget what it cost but it was around 8 or 9 dollars out the door for my 3-foot cable and Radio Shack only had a 6-foot cable for about 13 or 14 dollars out the door (including California 8.5% tax) so the price for your five footer is good.

I went for the 3 feet 'cuz 6 feet was too long. Five feet seems just about right. Thanks for the tip for others to benefit.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto:
Buy cables from Monoprice unless you need it same day and radioshack is the only option. Much, much, much cheaper and very high quality.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:36 PM

Having had the DICE Silverline for a few months now, I have another non-obvious comment for future E39 users.

Maybe mine is defective, but, are the rest of you experiencing charging "issues"?

What I see is if the 2nd generation iPod nano is somewhat charged, then the DICE charges it fine.
But when the iPod battery is dead - the DICE does not charge it.
Basically, the DICE only charges the iPod if the iPod supplies enough juice to the DICE to get it started.

This makes the DICE less useful (a lot less useful) in my use model which is to leave the iPod in the glove compartment (disconnected to prevent DICE freeze).

What I find myself being forced to do on the road is ...
0. I plug the iPod into the DICE connector in the glovebox; but it won't charge (if the iPod battery is very low)
1. I stop the car and open the trunk to pull out my laptop computer
2. I plug the Apple-supplied iPod USB cable to the laptop computer USB port
3. I disconnect the latest-generation iPod nano from the DICE cable and connect to the Apple cable (which is connected to the PC)
4. I note that the iPod invariably begins charging ... I leave it on PC charge for five or ten minutes (or whatever)
5. Only after the PC has charged the iPod somewhat, I can then connect back to the DICE cable where the DICE will charge the iPod now.

Obviously this is a non-intuitive detail. Technically the DICE charges the iPod but in reality, if the iPod battery is low, you have to charge the iPod first before the DICE will even begin to charge it. On more than one long trip, I had no DICE/Ipod because of this "feature'.

Has anyone else experienced this DICE-dead-no-charge issue? (I'm using the blue connector DICE cables from earlier this year. I know the older ones, which are black, didn't charge the latest iPods and the newest connectors, which are green, are supposed to do the same as my blue (interim) connector).

QUESTION:
Does your DICE fail to charge a very-low-battery second-generation iPod nano where the PC has no problem charging it?

Last edited by bluebee; 04-23-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: 328i XDrive
Quote:
Having had the DICE Silverline for a few months now, I have another non-obvious comment for future E39 users.

Maybe mine is defective, but, are the rest of you experiencing charging "issues"?

What I see is if the 2nd generation iPod nano is somewhat charged, then the DICE charges it fine.
But when the iPod battery is dead - the DICE does not charge it.
Basically, the DICE only charges the iPod if the iPod supplies enough juice to the DICE to get it started.

This makes the DICE less useful (a lot less useful) in my use model which is to leave the iPod in the glove compartment (disconnected to prevent DICE freeze).

What I find myself being forced to do on the road is ...
0. I plug the iPod into the DICE connector in the glovebox; but it won't charge (if the iPod battery is very low)
1. I stop the car and open the trunk to pull out my laptop computer
2. I plug the Apple-supplied iPod USB cable to the laptop computer USB port
3. I disconnect the latest-generation iPod nano from the DICE cable and connect to the Apple cable (which is connected to the PC)
4. I note that the iPod invariably begins charging ... I leave it on PC charge for five or ten minutes (or whatever)
5. Only after the PC has charged the iPod somewhat, I can then connect back to the DICE cable where the DICE will charge the iPod now.

Obviously this is a non-intuitive detail. Technically the DICE charges the iPod but in reality, if the iPod battery is low, you have to charge the iPod first before the DICE will even begin to charge it. On more than one long trip, I had no DICE/Ipod because of this "feature'.

Has anyone else experienced this DICE-dead-no-charge issue? (I'm using the blue connector DICE cables from earlier this year. I know the older ones, which are black, didn't charge the latest iPods and the newest connectors, which are green, are supposed to do the same as my blue (interim) connector).

QUESTION:
Does your DICE fail to charge a very-low-battery second-generation iPod nano where the PC has no problem charging it?
Have you tried using repeat daily silent alarms (maybe even a few per day) on your IPod to try to keep it from shutting down completely in an attempt to resolve the DIce lockup issue you are having? Wouldnt that work similar to the calander events y ou were trying in the past?
Old 04-23-2009, 09:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 E39 M54
My IPOD touch 2nd gen w/ dice silverline.....

I installed a usa spec for my girfriends honda accord, quick and simple......i installed a Mopar iPod Integration Kit for my jeep grand cherokee....quick and simple.......i installed the dice silverline w/the optional 2point5 spec dock....NOT SO SIMPLE!!!

Mods: 2011 Mazda MX-5. Mazda Ipod kit,weathertech liners,garmin nuvi 1390 LMT,eclipse sunshades,front plate delete. Soon: tint 20% sides 5% back. Covercreaft NOAH car cover
Old 04-23-2009, 09:52 PM

RE:My IPOD touch 2nd gen w/ dice silverline.....

sorry i pressed enter...
any way,the seat back and seat bottom had to come out since i was doing a suspension upgrade....... routing the wires completely sucked!!! especially under the dash....
then drilling the hole in the unused ashtray didnt go well either.....after the install the little "ashtray" doesn't open like it should....maybe i need to take center console out again.......the flapping of the ipod in the dock while driving, maybe they should let u put the dock that pertains to your ipod,not the generic white one............
then trying to learn how to use this f'ing thing.......its like calculus, only harder.......
"press cd6,then track 4,then got to cd 1-01............WTFingF!!!!!!called dice....
like at least 3 times already.....nice guy Adam....helped me out again....
other than this , i think i love it, i think......

Mods: 2011 Mazda MX-5. Mazda Ipod kit,weathertech liners,garmin nuvi 1390 LMT,eclipse sunshades,front plate delete. Soon: tint 20% sides 5% back. Covercreaft NOAH car cover
Old 04-24-2009, 01:58 AM

Mein Auto:
Thumbs down No dice!!

Regardless of the good or bad experiences that others have had with Dice Electronics, you should consider one thing when weighing you ipod integration options - warranty length.

I bout a Dice kit and it worked great for about 5-6 weeks until one day I no longer could control my iPod through my Nav Screen or steering wheel.
I called their Customer Support and they were no help - told me what I already read on the site. He then told me that I need to take it back to my installer and have them call Dice Cust. Support.
I did and Dice told them the same thing they told me. "Weird. It should work".
But here is the kicker. Dice is so proud of the craftsmanship and product, that they only offer a 30 day warranty on their products. 30 DAYS? That's barely enough time to have it shipped, installed and working for more than a week.
So after having the pleasure of paying to have their crap installed and removed, I'm going to have another junk unit sent to me so that I can pay to install again (and most likely removed after it breaks).
What a joke. DONT BUY ANY ELECTRONIC PRODUCT THAT'S NEW ON THE MARKET AND ONLY OFFERS A 30 DAY WARRANTY - i.e. Anything from Dice Electronics Catalog
Old 04-24-2009, 05:38 AM

ok,so......

I drove to work today and on the way there , go over a few bumps in the road and guess what? Yep, my iPod touch was jarred loose from the really cool spec dock.....NICE! Real nice, WTF!!!!!!

"Nice one,nurse"

Old 04-24-2009, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 328i XDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony MV View Post
I drove to work today and on the way there , go over a few bumps in the road and guess what? Yep, my iPod touch was jarred loose from the really cool spec dock.....NICE! Real nice, WTF!!!!!!

"Nice one,nurse"
That must be frustrating to have that problem after buying and installing one of those spec docs...They arent cheap aither are they? Are you saying they do not come with inserts for different IPod models? Or are you saying the matching insert for your IPod does not hold it slugly?
Old 04-24-2009, 11:03 AM

Printable instructions for operating the DICE Silverline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony MV View Post
"press cd6,then track 4,then got to cd 1-01............WTFingF!!!!!!
I had the same confusion since my DICE Silverline didn't come with decent use-model instructions.

I always try to solve the problems I run into (with your help) and then help others so, in January, I posted "Printable instructions for operating the DICE Silverline".

A month later, in February, I posted an update of the printable DICE operating instructions which covered more topics such as the battery-reboot procedure and ipod charging concerns.

On a separate note: I've found what appears to be an undocumented bug/quirk in the DICE Silverline that I posted about yesterday in this E39 thread where the DICE fails to charge the iPod when the iPod battery is low (just when you need the DICE most). More about that in that thread.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dice.gif
Views:	793
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	182744  
Old 04-24-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasquale View Post
Regardless of the good or bad experiences that others have had with Dice Electronics, you should consider one thing when weighing you ipod integration options - warranty length.
Personally, I'd also consider only buying from Tom at EAS as he's verrrry helpful whenever you need him.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Personally, I'd also consider only buying from Tom at EAS as he's verrrry helpful whenever you need him.
+1, good technical support is a requirement. And Tom is as good as it gets (try calling Microsoft sometime!).

The Dice has been far from perfected. After about 10 months with the Silverline (used with a Gen 1 iPod Mini), I can say it is far from perfect but having my full personalized music selection available at my fingetips, while driving, is "priceless", even if I have to reset it periodically.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:07 PM

Someone please publish the steps to keep the DICE from freezing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
Have you tried using repeat daily silent alarms (maybe even a few per day) on your IPod to try to keep it from shutting down
Nobody yet has published here repeatable steps to keep the iPod from shutting down so I just tried these alarm-setting steps and documented setting the alarm exactly here. Let's cross our fingers and hope setting alarms keeps the iPod alive so the DICE doesn't freeze.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	alarm.gif
Views:	1402
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	182747  

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search