BMW recall for N63 engines!!?? (read: all 550i GT/V8 Owners) - Page 5 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - 2017)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - 2017)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo - 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 F07 550i GT
Sure, post his info. If I don't use him it might help someone else.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 11:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '10 550GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
That is impressive. I can only get around 14.0mpg on my N63TU 550 GT when I have a tank that is >90% city driving (stop and go - 22.0 mph average) -- all on EcoPro
why buy the 550 and then drive around in eco pro??? I cant help but choose "sport" mode on DHP and "DS" on the shifter every time I get in the car.....I try to remember on the highway to go back to comfort and "D" for better mileage.....
2010 550 GT Black Sapphire, Active Ventilated Seats, Convenience, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance, Dynamic Handling, Luxury Rear Seating, Premium Sound, Sport, Rear-View Camera, Ceramic Controls, Ski Bag, Side View Camera, Sirius and Triple3_O Coded.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:16 AM

Quick update, just got back from a 2600 mile road trip after the CCP work. All was good, no adverse oil consumption. getting 26 mpg at 77 mph. On the return leg going up a steep incline running around 80 in drive comfort, punched down to get around some Semi Trucks playing tag and got: " Drivetrain Malfunction. Drive moderately. Maximum drivetrain output not available. Consult service center." Well I just kept on trucking along, it's a CPO so if it's gonna blow, let 'er go. The wife was not pleased.

Stopped to grab a bite and stretch. Got back in, Service triangle in lower left of display was gone and the malfunction never happened again that trip. Got home, the next day running some errands in Sport Sport it happened twice. I drive hard but not that hard! I was able to pull over and send the data to BMW and take pictures of the error and dash showing mileage and entire dash for my SA.

Took it in to shop 4/3/15 AM, got a nice 2015 xdrive 35d X5 with 10 miles on the speedo for a loaner. No word from my SA yet so it must not be good news or they haven't got in to it yet.

Will update as I am informed. My guess is something with the turbos engine management software or maybe a bad seal or gasket, even though I felt nothing while driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krux100 View Post
Quick update, just got back from a 2600 mile road trip after the CCP work. All was good, no adverse oil consumption. getting 26 mpg at 77 mph. On the return leg going up a steep incline running around 80 in drive comfort, punched down to get around some Semi Trucks playing tag and got: " Drivetrain Malfunction. Drive moderately. Maximum drivetrain output not available. Consult service center." Well I just kept on trucking along, it's a CPO so if it's gonna blow, let 'er go. The wife was not pleased.

Stopped to grab a bite and stretch. Got back in, Service triangle in lower left of display was gone and the malfunction never happened again that trip. Got home, the next day running some errands in Sport Sport it happened twice. I drive hard but not that hard! I was able to pull over and send the data to BMW and take pictures of the error and dash showing mileage and entire dash for my SA.

Took it in to shop 4/3/15 AM, got a nice 2015 xdrive 35d X5 with 10 miles on the speedo for a loaner. No word from my SA yet so it must not be good news or they haven't got in to it yet.

Will update as I am informed. My guess is something with the turbos engine management software or maybe a bad seal or gasket, even though I felt nothing while driving.
sorry....not good. But curious how you are liking the x5 3.5d?? I had the same loaner and just about fell in love with it.....
2010 550 GT Black Sapphire, Active Ventilated Seats, Convenience, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance, Dynamic Handling, Luxury Rear Seating, Premium Sound, Sport, Rear-View Camera, Ceramic Controls, Ski Bag, Side View Camera, Sirius and Triple3_O Coded.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:06 PM

Got it back today. Just about what I thought, it was a vacum line feeding bank 1 an 2. New line and away we go. Also had the master key go bad while in their care so they replaced the key and the Antenna amplifier Diversity 315 MHZ 65 20 9 276 01.

The 35d X5 is a very nice SAV. The diesel has gobs of torque to move it down the line. Got 31 mpg over a 500 mile week. Loved the new backup camera brightness and the better lcd nav screen. Fit and finish typical perfect BMW. No strange noises, quiet cabin, ride was very good and while not a track rat handled very well for a tall box, and USA spec cup holders!

Didn't like the sport seats in mine, too used to the luxury seating. I'm a tall guy and the entry was small for me, kept knocking my hat off when I got in. Didn't seem to have much more luggage capacity. Would still have to fold down a seatback to get two sets of clubs and a suitcase in for a trip. For a family with kids it would be great, roof racks and trailer hitch for all the fun stuff.

I'll keep the GT. Maybe if the diesel works out in the 7 series it will move to the GT by the time I want euro delivery next year.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:04 PM

Mein Auto: A German car of sort
Quote:
Got it back today. Just about what I thought, it was a vacum line feeding bank 1 an 2. New line and away we go. Also had the master key go bad while in their care so they replaced the key and the Antenna amplifier Diversity 315 MHZ 65 20 9 276 01.

The 35d X5 is a very nice SAV. The diesel has gobs of torque to move it down the line. Got 31 mpg over a 500 mile week. Loved the new backup camera brightness and the better lcd nav screen. Fit and finish typical perfect BMW. No strange noises, quiet cabin, ride was very good and while not a track rat handled very well for a tall box, and USA spec cup holders!

Didn't like the sport seats in mine, too used to the luxury seating. I'm a tall guy and the entry was small for me, kept knocking my hat off when I got in. Didn't seem to have much more luggage capacity. Would still have to fold down a seatback to get two sets of clubs and a suitcase in for a trip. For a family with kids it would be great, roof racks and trailer hitch for all the fun stuff.

I'll keep the GT. Maybe if the diesel works out in the 7 series it will move to the GT by the time I want euro delivery next year.

Glad all is straightened out @Krux100 (crossing fingers) and hope you can now enjoy her for miles and years ahead! By the way she is looking very clean and tight!

Old 04-14-2015, 10:02 AM

Good luck Krux100!
Old 04-14-2015, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
BMW has had diesel engines in the GT since introduction in Europe. I think that now, there are three choices in diesel engines: a twin tubo 6, a twin-power single tubo 6, and a turbo 4-cylinder.

Given the volume of the GT in the USA, not sure they are interested in integrating the US spec 6-cylinder twin-power (single turbo) as used in say that X5d. Wouldn't seem all that hard, but spread over the smaller volume, probably not economically viable. Too bad, as I'd have preferred it and actually delayed my purchase back when while they were waffling on that decision (at least from the people I could contact). The other thing that frosts me, is in Europe, the gas verses diesel choices, there's no premium to buy the diesel, but there's a pretty significant one in the USA. IT may have to do with the perceived maintenance costs during our standard 4-year factory warranties, verses most other places where it is an add-on option to include maintenance.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:20 PM

Mein Auto: Buick, A6, Toyota
Hello,

Is it smart to buy new 550i now? I mean risk of V8 engines.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:08 AM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
I would fully expect all of the known updates to the engine covered in this service campaign have been applied to all current production vehicles, so it would depend on when it was produced. But, unless they have reconfigured the battery charging algorithm, that means a new battery with every oil change. Not an issue if you replace the car before the warranty expires, but I've not heard how it affects one after that. If they continue to replace the battery with the oil change and effectively you aren't paying for it, that's one thing. But, if you actually need to buy a new battery every time along with paying for that oil change, it would get very expensive very quickly...the battery is huge, and it's more than just swapping it physically...the computer needs to be updated to understand the age and type of battery installed, and that just adds to the costs.

So, I'd ask the dealer how this aspect is being addressed. Otherwise, the car is fine, and would probably work fine without a battery change, depending on your use pattern. The V8 tends to use some oil, but otherwise has been pretty reliable.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: Buick, A6, Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Not an issue if you replace the car before the warranty expires,...
Who wants to buy that car? How to replace it?
Old 06-02-2015, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 550GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstoja View Post
Who wants to buy that car? How to replace it?
It says that you're in the United States, but your English says otherwise.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:57 AM

Any N63 BMW before May 2012 will have to have the N63 CCP done. The N63TU motors after that date are fine to my limited knowledge.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: A German car of sort
Quote:
Any N63 BMW before May 2012 will have to have the N63 CCP done. The N63TU motors after that date are fine to my limited knowledge.
More or less this is an accurate statement. Since I have had this service performed on my '12 GT back in February of this year (crossing fingers) car has been running like a champ and performing very well. Granted I have less than 9,800 miles as I type this but glad this entire ordeal is over with and hope those GT owners pending the service has the same experience as I have documented well in this forum thread.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:05 PM

Well, less than 5k miles since CCP and I just got the low oil light.....it is actually showing below the minimum line. Does anyone know how "low" it actually is now that TSB tells the dealer to overfill the oil? I am guessing it is down at least 2qts? Pre-CCP, my oil consumption seemed to have tapered off a bit. Car has 32k miles.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:51 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07, 2017 F31
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueshot View Post
Well, less than 5k miles since CCP and I just got the low oil light.....it is actually showing below the minimum line. Does anyone know how "low" it actually is now that TSB tells the dealer to overfill the oil? I am guessing it is down at least 2qts? Pre-CCP, my oil consumption seemed to have tapered off a bit. Car has 32k miles.
Ugh, that's not promising. No idea about quantity loss, I would tend to agree with your presumption assuming the measurement is like gas tank warning and old dipstick method. You mention consumption tapering off previously, how much difference (wrto mileage)?
Old 06-08-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daders View Post
Ugh, that's not promising. No idea about quantity loss, I would tend to agree with your presumption assuming the measurement is like gas tank warning and old dipstick method. You mention consumption tapering off previously, how much difference (wrto mileage)?
Pre-CCP my oil consumption had slowed down to about 1qt every 7500 miles. I assume that they overfilled the oil when I went in for CCP (per the TSB) by 1 qt. It appears that I was down at least 2qts in 5k miles. My SA offered to top it off while I waited. I actually had 2 other warranty issues for them to handle so I left it (including the battery upgrade/replacement being overlooked when I was in for CCP). I was pleased that the SA left me a message later in the day that the tech wants to investigate the increased oil consumption and they need to keep the car for a few days. More to come....
Old 06-09-2015, 03:03 PM

Heard from my SA today......they think/know that the excessive oil consumption is through the valve stem seals. apparently a pretty common problem on high mileage N62/N63 engines (seals dry out) and looks like a problem on a few low mileage N62/N63 that did not break in properly (valves didn't seat fully/properly). Not clear to me if this means dropping the motor to pull the heads and/or what else is involved. Anyone been through this? (I already started reading the other models using the N62/N63)
Old 06-09-2015, 04:01 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07, 2017 F31
Fortunately (knock on wood) we haven't experienced this on ours. I would imagine they have to lift the top half off. Not sure if the $$ is an issue, however if it were me I would make certain to have them identify carbon buildup and press for a walnut blasting (perhaps suggest go halfsies on cost with the dealership). Worth a shot at least wrto the cost defray, but since you have had consumption I would definitely make sure they know it is a concern of yours. Only makes sense to remove previous buildup so you have a better shot at a "clean" slate.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:28 PM

Makes sense although I am hearing that there is procedure that allows seal replacement without removing the heads/intake manifold and thus no intake cleaning/inspection...

Last edited by rogueshot; 06-09-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:43 PM

Car is back. The dealer noted excessive smoke from tail pipe at idle. Turbo intakes supposedly not fouled. 4 Plugs were fouled. Performed service bulletin 11 08 15 which I believe is the intake valve seals. Can anyone confirm? I cant find a description of SIB 11 08 15 on the web.....

Rear left air spring on backorder from Germany.....so I will be going back in again in a few weeks.....fortunately my dealer/SA have been great running things down and doing their best to make the car right.... I just hope everything can get sorted on the car before the 4/50 warranty runs next month (yes I am pulling trigger on the Rt66 warranty for $2395!)
Old 08-05-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Car is back. The dealer noted excessive smoke from tail pipe at idle. Turbo intakes supposedly not fouled. 4 Plugs were fouled. Performed service bulletin 11 08 15 which I believe is the intake valve seals. Can anyone confirm? I cant find a description of SIB 11 08 15 on the web.....

Rear left air spring on backorder from Germany.....so I will be going back in again in a few weeks.....fortunately my dealer/SA have been great running things down and doing their best to make the car right.... I just hope everything can get sorted on the car before the 4/50 warranty runs next month (yes I am pulling trigger on the Rt66 warranty for $2395!)
Same issue here, rogueshot. I had an issue with oil consumption and a drivetrain malfunction and, later, noticed smoke at idle. My SA said that it was the valve stem seals allowing oil to move past the cylinder head and burn. I am hoping that they do a thorough clean-up job.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:54 PM

The car has been back for about 2 weeks now. Seems fine...Virtually no throttle lag at any point and still no DTM. Will be curious to see if oil consumption drops over the next few thousand miles....
Old 08-05-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
The car has been back for about 2 weeks now. Seems fine...Virtually no throttle lag at any point and still no DTM. Will be curious to see if oil consumption drops over the next few thousand miles....
Good to hear. I'll only have to wait 750 miles to know if the oil consumption issue was fixed. I've gone through 4 quarts in a bit over 3,000 miles. All that burned oil! I made it a point to have my SA request a turbo inspection I see if they are fouled due to the oil in the exhaust, and to see if they can do an intake cleaning at the same time.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:04 PM

They claimed that my turbos were not fouled and that the intake cleaning was not covered by warranty. My car was only burning about 1-2qts every 3-5k miles.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search