Best Gasoline/Mixture - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:32 AM
2020 Z4 M40i

Mein Auto: 2020 Z4 M40i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjez View Post
You can think whatever you want but if you do your research you'll soon find that use of ethanol is mandated by government and is not added to help your car in any way.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Actually you should do what you say & educate yourself about ethanol & performance. The problem is when people are trying to make a point they find what they want, cut & paste then stop looking.

A little further research on the subject for some BMW turbo cars is that ethanol in addition to premium gas significantly improve performance because of its naturally high octane number.

E-10 has been mixed with premium 91/93 in 335/328 turbo cars (N54-N55) since they have been released to enable boost increases with products like JB4, Dinan, COBB etc. These cars could handle an approximate 35% mix with no ill effects. Mixes over that going up to 100% E-85 required higher capacity fuel pumps because of the lower BTU content in ethanol.

For people who either could not get 100 octane at the pump or it was to expensive for them mixes of E85+ 91/93 were known as "poor mans race gas"

When my station was out of 100 an E85/93 mix indicated 410WHP on a DynoJet in my 335is which went for 4 years before being swapped for a 435. No fuel system issues over that time

I have not bothered with the mix on the B58 440 because its a pure stock MPPSK & would provide no real gain over the 93 premium in NC.

The government did not do anyone except the corn farmers a favor in mandating E85 but sometimes unintended consequences work out well for some people.

These cars are designed to run on E10 but if you want to put in pure gas no harm no foul. That said in many eastern states where 93 is the standard premium & pure gas is 90 + more expensive why would I want to do that.

Bottom lines is the BMW fuel systems are hardened to take ethanol mixed fuel.

This site has a history of ethanol in BMW's going back to the start of the turbo series engines

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/index.php

CURRENT:
2020 Z4 M40i
2019 Chevy Suburban 4X4 RST 420BHP
2013 BMW 135is JB4 convt 6MT
2009 Yamaha V-Star
1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash 5MT
1965 COBRA 550BHP FORD Racing COYOTE TKO-600
FFR Cobra Mk-IV COYOTE 5MT Build Thread
480 WHP of BURBBLES
I LOVE THE SMELL OF BURNT 100 IN THE MORNING

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 10-08-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2017, 07:57 AM
2015 328x

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW 330i xdrive
The Government in the end is the winner. We get about 4% less MPG with E10. That means we buy more gas than if it did not have Ethanol. Look at the amount of tax you spend on each gallon. Where is that going? Speaking of additives I find it amazing that Tetraethyllead (lead) was added instead of ethanol way back. One of the main reasons it was phased out in the 70's was because it would ruin the catalytic converters. You would have thought it was for your health. NAh...we dun knee no stinkin health.

Last edited by Mykatie; 10-09-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Tetraethyllead also protected the valves and valve seats. That was before hardened valves and seats, though.

E10 has an effect on both gasoline and diesel fuel prices. It takes about a joule of energy to produce and distribute a joule's worth of ethanol. Most of that energy used to produce and distribute ethanol comes from using diesel fuel (farm equipment, tanker trucks). So, the government E10 mandate increases the demand for diesel fuel while also reducing the demand for gasoline. That keeps our gasoline prices relatively low and our diesel prices relatively high.

About 50% off the new passenger cars put on the road in western Europe are diesels. European refiners can't sell all the gasoline they produce. So, a lot of that gasoline gets exported to us, pushing down our gasoline prices.

The Corn Lobby is trying to get E15 mandated.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 16 435 CV Msport PPK, Q5
I first get 93 octane top tier fuel. IMHO that is the most important thing. Then if you can find that with E0, I would go with that. If not I would go with E10, 93 top tier.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
Actually you should do what you say & educate yourself about ethanol & performance. The problem is when people are trying to make a point they find what they want, cut & paste then stop looking.

A little further research on the subject for some BMW turbo cars is that ethanol in addition to premium gas significantly improve performance because of its naturally high octane number.

E-10 has been mixed with premium 91/93 in 335/328 turbo cars (N54-N55) since they have been released to enable boost increases with products like JB4, Dinan, COBB etc. These cars could handle an approximate 35% mix with no ill effects. Mixes over that going up to 100% E-85 required higher capacity fuel pumps because of the lower BTU content in ethanol.

For people who either could not get 100 octane at the pump or it was to expensive for them mixes of E85+ 91/93 were known as "poor mans race gas"

When my station was out of 100 an E85/93 mix indicated 410WHP on a DynoJet in my 335is which went for 4 years before being swapped for a 435. No fuel system issues over that time

I have not bothered with the mix on the B58 440 because its a pure stock MPPSK & would provide no real gain over the 93 premium in NC.

The government did not do anyone except the corn farmers a favor in mandating E85 but sometimes unintended consequences work out well for some people.

These cars are designed to run on E10 but if you want to put in pure gas no harm no foul. That said in many eastern states where 93 is the standard premium & pure gas is 90 + more expensive why would I want to do that.

Bottom lines is the BMW fuel systems are hardened to take ethanol mixed fuel.

This site has a history of ethanol in BMW's going back to the start of the turbo series engines

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/index.php
I wasn't talking about performance gains from using ethanol but its negative effects on fuel systems. Then again, like you said, some people will only see what they want to make their point.

Last edited by mjez; 10-10-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:23 PM
2020 Z4 M40i

Mein Auto: 2020 Z4 M40i
Quote:
I wasn't talking about performance gains from using ethanol but its negative effects on fuel systems. Then again, like you said, some people will only see what they want to make their point.

Thought you said:

Quote:
is not added to help your car in any way.
Might not be 'intended" to help but their are things like unintended consequences. Major power gains for turbo & belt driven supercharged cars. A major power boost can HELP most any car.

There are no negative effects in using E-10 in modern cars. They are designed to take it as its the standard fuel in the US the second largest car market in the world. China the worlds largest consumer of new car is converting. 9 major provinces are running E10 now & the goal is to convert the rest by 2020.

Thing is globally E-10 is as common as dog dirt & mandated in most places that have heavy car populations. German research says about 3% of the cars now on the road may be subject to harm with E-10. That automatically leaves out current production as it only effects legacy cars. No manufacturers could afford to build cars that can't run on E-10 without self destructing.

CURRENT:
2020 Z4 M40i
2019 Chevy Suburban 4X4 RST 420BHP
2013 BMW 135is JB4 convt 6MT
2009 Yamaha V-Star
1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash 5MT
1965 COBRA 550BHP FORD Racing COYOTE TKO-600
FFR Cobra Mk-IV COYOTE 5MT Build Thread
480 WHP of BURBBLES
I LOVE THE SMELL OF BURNT 100 IN THE MORNING

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 10-10-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:

bear says it above but I will repeat, modern engines are designed for E10 fuel. Seals and surfaces are compatible with ethanol mixed fuels. It's not an issue.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search