Lost Lug Nut Adapter - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

Old 07-20-2019, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: E60 5 series
Lost Lug Nut Adapter

So I got a flat yesterday and when I went to put the spare on my adapter to take the antitheft lug nuts off was missing. Must have been taken/lost by last people to change my tires a few months ago because it was there that day when I put the spare on and they clearly got it off. Anyway, I heard that theres multiple of those adapter pieces it could be and that I'd have to take it to a BMW dealership where they can give me the code with their master set to get a new one. My dilemma is that nearest BMW dealership is in another city 30 minutes away and I'm not paying that tow. So an idea I came up with is to use some clay or something to make a mold of the adapter piece by sticking it in the lugs and take that up to the dealership to compare it to their master set. Anybody else gone through this and know what material would be best? It's like 100 out here and I'm scared sticking it in and out would just produce a warped mold and leave some clay in there making it like impossible to use the actual adapter. I feel like if I let it dry in there it will break when I pull it off. Any ideas?

Also, on that rim and that one alone it has a stem that like had 10mm socket head cap instead of a normal rubber one you can remove by hand so I tried to remove that using my ratchet so I could try using fix a flat and it broke the whole stem off. Like whats with that did anybody else have that thing on one of their rims? Is this something the tire place can replace?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2019, 09:50 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Uh, 'master set'? Is this some sort of official BMW wheel lock????

Tire shop should be able to hammer on a junk socket, real hard, and get it out. Same way they all do it....

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 07-21-2019, 07:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 18 X5M, retired 640i vert
You can get e replacement key from a BMW parts department,if locks were BMW, if you have the two digit code. Lookin your console, glove box, trunk for box of four nuts with 1 x 2 piece of paper with two prominent digits. Rubber stem...???pictures would help here

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2019, 09:21 AM
Casual Fanatic

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi 6 speed manual
Believe it or not, most good tire shops would have a set of wheel lock keys that might match your particular locks. Your dilemma is not as uncommon as you might think and tire shops have to deal with this on a periodic basis. It's worth a shot.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: E60 5 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640ijims View Post
You can get e replacement key from a BMW parts department,if locks were BMW, if you have the two digit code. Lookin your console, glove box, trunk for box of four nuts with 1 x 2 piece of paper with two prominent digits. Rubber stem...???pictures would help here

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
Looked dont have that. When I had the adapter it was by itself where the first aid stuff was. Previous owner must have lost it.

I'll go take a picture of what I'm talking about later. The stem I mean the thing you pump air into your tires with. Like normally you have a rubber cap on the top that twists off. The one on the tire that popped had like a bolt head and broke off when I used the ratchet.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:31 PM

The square or octagonal thing on top of valve stem should have turned with hand pressure. If you can re- inflate tire & go to neared major tire shop, they usually have lock keys for all major systems. Have them tell you code as well as take tire rim off car and do a proper repair on tire
Old 07-22-2019, 11:36 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Arras View Post
Believe it or not, most good tire shops would have a set of wheel lock keys that might match your particular locks. Your dilemma is not as uncommon as you might think and tire shops have to deal with this on a periodic basis. It's worth a shot.
Ive seen most shops have a box of beat up, bent sockets- that they hammer onto the lug to twist off.

Have YOU seen their 'assortment of keys'????? or they just say that?

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Old 07-22-2019, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Thumbs down W h a t !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Ive seen most shops have a box of beat up, bent sockets- that they hammer onto the lug to twist off.

Have YOU seen their 'assortment of keys'????? or they just say that?

Precisely the kinda place I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TOUCH MY BMW!
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!

Click on the MrRebates logo/link for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!Mr. Rebates
Old 07-22-2019, 12:56 PM

Everyone I've do tire wok has a set or box
Old 07-22-2019, 01:05 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi524td View Post
Precisely the kinda place I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TOUCH MY BMW!
Yeah, they tell you that have a selection of only the finest keys.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Today's Posts Search