Turning rotors? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1
Turning rotors?

Has anyone turned the rotors on their X1?

Just curious as I've been told by both my dealer and a BMW specialty shop that they do not. The dealership says they install pads without turning the rotors if they are in spec and the specialty shop says they replace the rotors every time.

I'm not sure what would be unique about BMW rotors that you couldn't turn them???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2017, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
I suspect there is no technical reason, but the most shops today don't want to bother. Much easier (and faster) to just put new ones on vs taking the time to machine the old ones. Not just BMW that is doing this.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: X1 2.0L xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH46 View Post
I suspect there is no technical reason, but the most shops today don't want to bother. Much easier (and faster) to just put new ones on vs taking the time to machine the old ones. Not just BMW that is doing this.
I suspect this is because with most common cars the rotors made in china are as cheap as dirt.

I am the same dilema and wanting to keep my oem zinc plated bmw rotors and not pay the dealer price for new ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2017, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: x1 ride kawasaki zx12r
Hi Guys from what I've seen on these cars (mine has done 40000km 24000miles) since last pad and rotor change and will need replacing within another 20000km, the pads and very aggressive on the rotors and when you need a pad change the rotors are out of spec or almost out, so turning them would be pointless, you can get aftermarket rotors from the same company that supplies the genuine ones but without the BMW logo and zinc plated also bendix make a nice set of pads they sell them as "euro" they have a coating on them for fast bedding, they sound like you have a problem for the first couple of miles then all good, they seem not to be as sensitive as the OEM pads but little to no brake dust good luck here is a link to an "eBay" site you can read about them Craig

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/142098403...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	601150
Old 06-18-2017, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1
After having everything looked at my pads have tons left and the issue (no surprise) is that I've had some heat warping on the rotors. I see no impact on my day-to-day driving and other than the chatter I experienced on the track have only felt some minor pulsing after extended downhill braking.

So for now there is no rush to do anything other than look a little more closely at my options. I see no reason to do anything until my next track day gets closer and at this point with how much I have left on the pads I may just replace the rotors and hold off on upgrading the pads (planning on Hawk HPS 5.0).

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search