6th RFT replacement in one year - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-06-2016, 08:44 AM
535kjp 535kjp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 437
Mein Auto: 2011 535i XDrive
6th RFT replacement in one year

Last night I was slowing down into a turn to take a turn and picked me head up to look at the turn and managed to miss a huge pothole in the road that I hit perfectly in the middle.

I pulled over right away knowing that the tire would either have a bubble or would be losing air. When I looked, the sidewall had collapsed but the tire was still holding pressure. Of course I just had the tires rotated, and this tire was one of the two that was in the back and never replaced..so $$$ would be involved since my road hazard was up.

The roads here in Jersey are horrible, I got my alignment done at the same time and it was WAY off.

These are Bridgestone DriveGuard RunFlats, does anyone think that I should over inflate my tires by 5psi so the impact won't cause bubbles or pops? I'm currently going by what BMW puts in the door jamb
__________________

Last edited by 535kjp; 02-07-2016 at 11:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 02-06-2016, 05:50 PM
tourstagefan tourstagefan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NYC Metro Area
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 234
Mein Auto: '12 535iX MSport, CaymanS
I have the infamous 19" Goodyear LS-2 runflats and I do add ~ 3 - 4lbs. of additional pressure over the factory recommended 35-Front/39-Rear to TRY and prevent bubbling/sidewall bursts.

I'm going to switch to non-runflats in the Spring since I carry a spare w/jack.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-06-2016, 06:02 PM
flexstar flexstar is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Alabama
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 295
Mein Auto: E60, Porsche987, MB320
i would suggest you contact your governor Chris Christy. If he can't take care of your roads, how could he ever manage all the issues we now have in the US. Sorry to hear of your trouble as I despise pot holes.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 02-06-2016, 06:08 PM
samplermike samplermike is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 318
Mein Auto: BMW 535i M-Sport
Those darn New York/New Jersey values...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-06-2016, 07:46 PM
zoombie99's Avatar
zoombie99 zoombie99 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bergen County, New Jersey
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 973
Mein Auto: 2019 540x
Quote:
Originally Posted by 535kjp View Post
Last night I was slowing down into a turn to take a turn and picked me head up to look at the turn and managed to miss a huge pothole in the road that I hit perfectly in the middle.

I pulled over right away knowing that the tire would either have a bubble or would be losing air. When I looked, the sidewall had collapsed but the tire was still holding pressure. Of course I just had the tires rotated, and this tire was one of the two that was in the back and never replaced..so $$$ would be involved since my road hazard was up.

The roads here in Jersey are horrible, I got my alignment done at the same time and it was WAY off.

These are Bridgestone RunFlats, does anyone think that I should over inflate my tires by 5psi so the impact won't cause bubbles or pops? I'm currently going by what BMW puts in the door jamb

Do you have 19"?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-06-2016, 07:48 PM
535kjp 535kjp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 437
Mein Auto: 2011 535i XDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombie99 View Post
Do you have 19"?
Stock 18. However on the tire invoice it's still considered a low profile tire
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-06-2016, 07:58 PM
gpan gpan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 139
Mein Auto: 2016 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 535kjp View Post
so $$$ would be involved since my road hazard was up.
Can you elaborate, was it up because of policy time limit or mileage limit or tread wear limit? Given that you say that you are on your 6th replacement, I assume you must have gotten the hazard warranty recently?

I picked up this: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoCertificate.do for my LS2s. I am hoping it should cover me through my 3 year lease.
__________________
2016 535i | M-Sport | Cold | Premium | Driver Assistance Plus | Lighting | Soft Close Doors | Side/Rear Shades.

My next ride:
BMW Individual M760Li xDrive Model V12 Excellence THE NEXT 100 YEARS
Yeah, it's a thing..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-06-2016, 08:29 PM
DjD-X5 DjD-X5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fortuna
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 727
Mein Auto: '13 X5 xDrive 35i Premium
You might want to take your lead from off roaders that air down before hitting the trail to minimize tire damage from rocks and ruts that can act like a knife and slice up a hard tire. By lowering the air pressure the tire is more pliable and less likely to be punctured. Keep in mind off road tires are usually taller sidewall and able to absorb more of the blow without damaging the wheel itself. That said, if you have very low profile tires don't drop the pressure very much. Also if you are driving over 100 mph you want higher pressure not lower than recommended.
__________________
Dennis,

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-06-2016, 09:29 PM
ImolaRedM ImolaRedM is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,749
Mein Auto: 2018 M550i; 2017 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD-X5 View Post
You might want to take your lead from off roaders that air down before hitting the trail to minimize tire damage from rocks and ruts that can act like a knife and slice up a hard tire. By lowering the air pressure the tire is more pliable and less likely to be punctured. Keep in mind off road tires are usually taller sidewall and able to absorb more of the blow without damaging the wheel itself. T
This is off topic but off-roaders (at least this one does) lower tire pressure to increase the tire footprint for added traction. Not to minimize tire damage. On soft sand the lower tire pressure will also give you added 'float' to keep the tires from digging into the sand which will cause you to get stuck quickly. Lowering pressure will potentially increase the possibility of pinching the sidewall especially on 75 and 85 series tires when sharp rocks are present. This is quite common on rocks in PA, WV, and along the Appalachians and less common in the slick rock of the Southwest but it still happens. Street tires in the 55 series and narrower sidewalls see little to no benefit by lowering tire pressure to increase the tire foot print. Run-flat tires are completely useless for this approach to work.

Lowering pressure can help the tire protect the rim but the sidewall will get pinched. Increasing pressure will protect the tire sidewall but risk the rim. It's a tradeoff and something has to give.

FWIW, I've been driving on Run Flat tires since 2006 and I hate them but I have yet to replace a RFT due to damage (or a rim).
__________________




Current

2018 M550i Med. Blue|Cognac Dakota|Cold Weather Pkg|DA|DA+|Exec Pkg|Parking Assist|759i 20"|Rear Sun Shade|Remote Control Park|CarPlay|Rear Ent|B&W Sound|Night Vision|Gesture Control
2017 X5 35i Space Grey|Canberra Beige|Cold Weather|DA|DA+|Lux Seating|Premium Pkg|DDC+Rear Axle Air suspension|Soft-close|Rear Shade|Park Assist|HK Sound|

Past

2014 535dx
2013 X5 35i
2007 530i/6
2002 X5 4.4i
2000 540i/6
1999 M Roadster
1989 535iA
1984 533i/5
1983 533i/5
1977 530i/4
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-07-2016, 05:29 AM
pony_trekker pony_trekker is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NY
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,588
Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexstar View Post
i would suggest you contact your governor Chris Christy. If he can't take care of your roads, how could he ever manage all the issues we now have in the US. Sorry to hear of your trouble as I despise pot holes.
Tell him it prevented you from getting to White Manna before it closed. Then he will sympathize.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-07-2016, 10:34 AM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,117
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 535kjp View Post
Last night I was slowing down into a turn to take a turn and picked me head up to look at the turn and managed to miss a huge pothole in the road that I hit perfectly in the middle.

I pulled over right away knowing that the tire would either have a bubble or would be losing air. When I looked, the sidewall had collapsed but the tire was still holding pressure. Of course I just had the tires rotated, and this tire was one of the two that was in the back and never replaced..so $$$ would be involved since my road hazard was up.

The roads here in Jersey are horrible, I got my alignment done at the same time and it was WAY off.

These are Bridgestone RunFlats, does anyone think that I should over inflate my tires by 5psi so the impact won't cause bubbles or pops? I'm currently going by what BMW puts in the door jamb
You have Bridgestone Driveguard right? The sidewall on those are pretty soft, I would try pumping them up a bit. When you buy the Bridgestone replacement tire from tire rack or your local chain store, ask for road hazard insurance for all 4 of your tires, it is less than a $100 each. Better yet, living in NJ or NY, I would trade in the BMW for a truck. Driving on those streets is pretty much going off roading

Last edited by The X Men; 02-07-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-07-2016, 11:04 PM
535kjp 535kjp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 437
Mein Auto: 2011 535i XDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
You have Bridgestone Driveguard right? The sidewall on those are pretty soft, I would try pumping them up a bit. When you buy the Bridgestone replacement tire from tire rack or your local chain store, ask for road hazard insurance for all 4 of your tires, it is less than a $100 each. Better yet, living in NJ or NY, I would trade in the BMW for a truck. Driving on those streets is pretty much going off roading
Yes Bridgestone DriveGuard. They actually come with a supplemental 1 year road hazard warranty thats included in the cost. However, this tire has been on the car since it was initially put on, so I had to get it pro-rated.

I'm probably going to add some more air to them and monitor them to see if I see any increase in tread wear in the center of the tires.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-08-2016, 09:23 AM
DjD-X5 DjD-X5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fortuna
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 727
Mein Auto: '13 X5 xDrive 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaRedM View Post
This is off topic but off-roaders (at least this one does) lower tire pressure to increase the tire footprint for added traction. Not to minimize tire damage. On soft sand the lower tire pressure will also give you added 'float' to keep the tires from digging into the sand which will cause you to get stuck quickly. Lowering pressure will potentially increase the possibility of pinching the sidewall especially on 75 and 85 series tires when sharp rocks are present. This is quite common on rocks in PA, WV, and along the Appalachians and less common in the slick rock of the Southwest but it still happens. Street tires in the 55 series and narrower sidewalls see little to no benefit by lowering tire pressure to increase the tire foot print. Run-flat tires are completely useless for this approach to work.

Lowering pressure can help the tire protect the rim but the sidewall will get pinched. Increasing pressure will protect the tire sidewall but risk the rim. It's a tradeoff and something has to give.

FWIW, I've been driving on Run Flat tires since 2006 and I hate them but I have yet to replace a RFT due to damage (or a rim).
Well aware of all the pluses of airing down off road and was only going into the 1 benefit that might apply here! Yes airing down will reduce the chances of a blowout off road! Ever blow up a balloon nice and hard then bump it on something and have it pop? Ever blow up a balloon part way and try to pop it only to have it squish and resist your efforts to pop it? The answer is yes... Sure tires are thicker than balloons but then the forces placed on a tire on a 4000 lb vehicle are much greater than your hand on a balloon...
__________________
Dennis,

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-08-2016, 10:26 AM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,117
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD-X5 View Post
Well aware of all the pluses of airing down off road and was only going into the 1 benefit that might apply here! Yes airing down will reduce the chances of a blowout off road! Ever blow up a balloon nice and hard then bump it on something and have it pop? Ever blow up a balloon part way and try to pop it only to have it squish and resist your efforts to pop it? The answer is yes... Sure tires are thicker than balloons but then the forces placed on a tire on a 4000 lb vehicle are much greater than your hand on a balloon...
On a conventional tire yes, but the sidewall on a runlfat doesn't have much give at 15 PSI or 35 PSI.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-08-2016, 11:04 AM
DjD-X5 DjD-X5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fortuna
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 727
Mein Auto: '13 X5 xDrive 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
On a conventional tire yes, but the sidewall on a runlfat doesn't have much give at 15 PSI or 35 PSI.
It sure will when you slam it into a pothole! My Michelin Latitude run flats must be way different that what some of you have out there. They look just like conventional tires and the sidewalls soften when you let air out of them. I have not seen them flat but I venture to say they would collapse much like a regular tire (based on the visual difference from 45psi to 30psi) but not go completely down like a conventional tire. My 19" wheels have 50 series sidewalls so maybe something shorter like a 30 series there would be less visual change in air pressure but they will still react to different air pressure.

And I'm not talking dropping the tires to 20psi or installing bead locks and running 7 psi on the street! If you run 40psi drop 5 and watch for tire wear changes. Under inflated will wear the edges of the tread faster and over inflated will wear the middle of the tread faster.
__________________
Dennis,

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-08-2016, 11:39 AM
luigi524td luigi524td is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: The State of Southern NJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,017
Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Exclamation 6 RFTs in one year!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535kjp View Post
Last night I was slowing down into a turn to take a turn and picked me head up to look at the turn and managed to miss a huge pothole in the road that I hit perfectly in the middle.
I pulled over right away knowing that the tire would either have a bubble or would be losing air. When I looked, the sidewall had collapsed but the tire was still holding pressure. Of course I just had the tires rotated, and this tire was one of the two that was in the back and never replaced..so $$$ would be involved since my road hazard was up.
The roads here in Jersey are horrible, I got my alignment done at the same time and it was WAY off.
These are Bridgestone DriveGuard RunFlats, does anyone think that I should over inflate my tires by 5psi so the impact won't cause bubbles or pops? I'm currently going by what BMW puts in the door jamb
Sounds like a streak of HORRIBLE bad luck. Esp if your stock set-up 245/45x18 RFTs are properly inflated. I guess I must count myself EXCEPTIONALLY LUCKY or HAPPY that my stock Continental RFTs have weathered the storm here in NJ. YES, our roads are HORRIBLE and I've driven through a few holes that seem to go on forever :-( Several years ago I did lose a - ONE that is - RFT on my '07 530xi but they were 40 series Bridgestones.

I have to disagree with the RFT haters - I don't think they are any less or more prone to impact damage. I do make it a point of slowing down when it's clear and apparent the roads are horrible. I really don't care if I'm 15 minutes late to a destination or if someone wants to drive in my trunk - I'll give the impatient driver every opportunity to pass me - after all, they are probably rushing to perform a heart transplant ;-)

6 in one year !! YIKES :-( Even when I was driving 50,000-75,000 miles a year I didn't have bad luck like that and I've been on RFTs going back as far as my '01 740. Maybe it's time to step up to 4 - 50 series profile tires (remembering your car's tire rolling radius will affect speedometer readings - e.g. a '13 535xDrive GT rolls on 245/50x18 tires) or buy a half-track army surplus vehicle
__________________
My opinions are free - you'll get exactly what you pay for!
Current: '17 540 xDrive | '13 X1 MSport | '98 Z3 2.8
Past: '13 535xDrive|'07 530xi|'01 740i|'98 740i|'94 740i |'86 524TD
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!


Click on the MrRebates logo/link for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!Mr. Rebates

Last edited by luigi524td; 02-08-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-08-2016, 12:33 PM
u3b3rg33k u3b3rg33k is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,437
Mein Auto: e30, e60, R1100S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD-X5 View Post
Well aware of all the pluses of airing down off road and was only going into the 1 benefit that might apply here! Yes airing down will reduce the chances of a blowout off road! Ever blow up a balloon nice and hard then bump it on something and have it pop? Ever blow up a balloon part way and try to pop it only to have it squish and resist your efforts to pop it? The answer is yes... Sure tires are thicker than balloons but then the forces placed on a tire on a 4000 lb vehicle are much greater than your hand on a balloon...
That comparison is silly, unless you're talking about a 4 ply steel belted balloon. Just because they're both made of "rubber" and hold air does not make them comparable.
__________________
e30: '87 325i: MAF+WAR chip, long tube STAHL headers, 5MT swap, 4.27 torsen
e60: '08 550i M-sport, 6MT, ARC, Active Steering, 19" wheel delete
R1100S - oilhead FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeNoo View Post
Although I have nothing scientific to say, I can confidently say that it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
If you want to use the fuhrers snowmobile you gotta have das tires
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-08-2016, 04:12 PM
HugH HugH is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Arlington TX
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,220
Mein Auto: 2018 BMW 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourstagefan View Post
I have the infamous 19" Goodyear LS-2 runflats and I do add ~ 3 - 4lbs. of additional pressure over the factory recommended 35-Front/39-Rear to TRY and prevent bubbling/sidewall bursts.

I'm going to switch to non-runflats in the Spring since I carry a spare w/jack.
I also have 19" LS-2 and I keep them inflated right at specs. I am surprised that they ride and seem to handle better than the previous Pirelli in my last car, '13 3281.
Maybe it's the difference in diameter from 18 to 19 inches, but so far I am satisfied with the Goodyear product. Very smooth at high hwy speeds.

I lost one Pirelli to a pot hole here in Arlington during the very wet late spring we had. That pothole was in a city street full of water. It was so deep that it even sliced a one inch piece of metal off the edge of the 18" wheel.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-08-2016, 04:19 PM
DjD-X5 DjD-X5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fortuna
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 727
Mein Auto: '13 X5 xDrive 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
That comparison is silly, unless you're talking about a 4 ply steel belted balloon. Just because they're both made of "rubber" and hold air does not make them comparable.
Not really, unless you have enough hand strength to generate the same force as 4000lbs hitting a pothole at high speed!
__________________
Dennis,

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-08-2016, 04:20 PM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,117
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD-X5 View Post
It sure will when you slam it into a pothole! My Michelin Latitude run flats must be way different that what some of you have out there. They look just like conventional tires and the sidewalls soften when you let air out of them. I have not seen them flat but I venture to say they would collapse much like a regular tire (based on the visual difference from 45psi to 30psi) but not go completely down like a conventional tire. My 19" wheels have 50 series sidewalls so maybe something shorter like a 30 series there would be less visual change in air pressure but they will still react to different air pressure.

And I'm not talking dropping the tires to 20psi or installing bead locks and running 7 psi on the street! If you run 40psi drop 5 and watch for tire wear changes. Under inflated will wear the edges of the tread faster and over inflated will wear the middle of the tread faster.
I usually set my tire pressure to 35 PSI, sometime it goes down to 30 PSI, I cannot tell the difference visually. Lowering tire pressure when going off road is for add traction, not to prevent tire damage.

Last edited by The X Men; 02-08-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-08-2016, 04:23 PM
DjD-X5 DjD-X5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fortuna
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 727
Mein Auto: '13 X5 xDrive 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I usually set my tire pressure to 35 PSI, sometime it goes down to 30 PSI, I cannot tell the difference visually.
Not surprised with only 5psi difference, I went from 45 down to 30 and could see a difference.
__________________
Dennis,

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-08-2016, 06:28 PM
u3b3rg33k u3b3rg33k is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,437
Mein Auto: e30, e60, R1100S
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I usually set my tire pressure to 35 PSI, sometime it goes down to 30 PSI, I cannot tell the difference visually. Lowering tire pressure when going off road is for add traction, not to prevent tire damage.
Yes, and the mechanism that it works by is primarily lengthening the contact patch with really tall tires (or sidewall tread with wide tires):
http://www.overlandexperts.com/docs/...r_or_wider.pdf
__________________
e30: '87 325i: MAF+WAR chip, long tube STAHL headers, 5MT swap, 4.27 torsen
e60: '08 550i M-sport, 6MT, ARC, Active Steering, 19" wheel delete
R1100S - oilhead FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeNoo View Post
Although I have nothing scientific to say, I can confidently say that it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
If you want to use the fuhrers snowmobile you gotta have das tires
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-08-2016, 08:48 PM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,117
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
6th RFT replacement in one year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD-X5 View Post
Not surprised with only 5psi difference, I went from 45 down to 30 and could see a difference.

The recommended tire pressure for the front is something like 35 psi, driving at high speed with 25 psi would not be a safe thing to do. Also, the lower the psi, the higher the risk of of damage rim.

Last edited by The X Men; 02-08-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-09-2016, 08:29 AM
DjD-X5 DjD-X5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fortuna
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 727
Mein Auto: '13 X5 xDrive 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
The recommended tire pressure for the front is something like 35 psi, driving at high speed with 25 psi would not be a safe thing to do. Also, the lower the psi, the higher the risk of of damage rim.
I never recommended 25psi, and going back to my very first post in this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD-X5 View Post
Keep in mind off road tires are usually taller sidewall and able to absorb more of the blow without damaging the wheel itself. That said, if you have very low profile tires don't drop the pressure very much. Also if you are driving over 100 mph you want higher pressure not lower than recommended.
__________________
Dennis,

Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-09-2016, 09:14 AM
u3b3rg33k u3b3rg33k is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,437
Mein Auto: e30, e60, R1100S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD-X5 View Post
Not really, unless you have enough hand strength to generate the same force as 4000lbs hitting a pothole at high speed!


Even at the point of failure I'm not seeing that kind of distention.
__________________
e30: '87 325i: MAF+WAR chip, long tube STAHL headers, 5MT swap, 4.27 torsen
e60: '08 550i M-sport, 6MT, ARC, Active Steering, 19" wheel delete
R1100S - oilhead FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeNoo View Post
Although I have nothing scientific to say, I can confidently say that it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
If you want to use the fuhrers snowmobile you gotta have das tires
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.