6th RFT replacement in one year - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i XDrive
6th RFT replacement in one year

Last night I was slowing down into a turn to take a turn and picked me head up to look at the turn and managed to miss a huge pothole in the road that I hit perfectly in the middle.

I pulled over right away knowing that the tire would either have a bubble or would be losing air. When I looked, the sidewall had collapsed but the tire was still holding pressure. Of course I just had the tires rotated, and this tire was one of the two that was in the back and never replaced..so $$$ would be involved since my road hazard was up.

The roads here in Jersey are horrible, I got my alignment done at the same time and it was WAY off.

These are Bridgestone DriveGuard RunFlats, does anyone think that I should over inflate my tires by 5psi so the impact won't cause bubbles or pops? I'm currently going by what BMW puts in the door jamb

Last edited by 535kjp; 02-07-2016 at 11:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2016, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: '12 535iX MSport, CaymanS
I have the infamous 19" Goodyear LS-2 runflats and I do add ~ 3 - 4lbs. of additional pressure over the factory recommended 35-Front/39-Rear to TRY and prevent bubbling/sidewall bursts.

I'm going to switch to non-runflats in the Spring since I carry a spare w/jack.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: E60, Porsche987, MB320
i would suggest you contact your governor Chris Christy. If he can't take care of your roads, how could he ever manage all the issues we now have in the US. Sorry to hear of your trouble as I despise pot holes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2016, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i M-Sport
Those darn New York/New Jersey values...
Old 02-06-2016, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 540x
Quote:
Originally Posted by 535kjp View Post
Last night I was slowing down into a turn to take a turn and picked me head up to look at the turn and managed to miss a huge pothole in the road that I hit perfectly in the middle.

I pulled over right away knowing that the tire would either have a bubble or would be losing air. When I looked, the sidewall had collapsed but the tire was still holding pressure. Of course I just had the tires rotated, and this tire was one of the two that was in the back and never replaced..so $$$ would be involved since my road hazard was up.

The roads here in Jersey are horrible, I got my alignment done at the same time and it was WAY off.

These are Bridgestone RunFlats, does anyone think that I should over inflate my tires by 5psi so the impact won't cause bubbles or pops? I'm currently going by what BMW puts in the door jamb

Do you have 19"?
Old 02-06-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombie99 View Post
Do you have 19"?
Stock 18. However on the tire invoice it's still considered a low profile tire
Old 02-06-2016, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 535i M-Sport
Quote:
so $$$ would be involved since my road hazard was up.
Can you elaborate, was it up because of policy time limit or mileage limit or tread wear limit? Given that you say that you are on your 6th replacement, I assume you must have gotten the hazard warranty recently?

I picked up this: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoCertificate.do for my LS2s. I am hoping it should cover me through my 3 year lease.

My next ride:
BMW Individual M760Li xDrive Model V12 Excellence THE NEXT 100 YEARS
Yeah, it's a thing..
Old 02-06-2016, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 xDrive 35i Premium
You might want to take your lead from off roaders that air down before hitting the trail to minimize tire damage from rocks and ruts that can act like a knife and slice up a hard tire. By lowering the air pressure the tire is more pliable and less likely to be punctured. Keep in mind off road tires are usually taller sidewall and able to absorb more of the blow without damaging the wheel itself. That said, if you have very low profile tires don't drop the pressure very much. Also if you are driving over 100 mph you want higher pressure not lower than recommended.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 M550i; 2017 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD-X5 View Post
You might want to take your lead from off roaders that air down before hitting the trail to minimize tire damage from rocks and ruts that can act like a knife and slice up a hard tire. By lowering the air pressure the tire is more pliable and less likely to be punctured. Keep in mind off road tires are usually taller sidewall and able to absorb more of the blow without damaging the wheel itself. T
This is off topic but off-roaders (at least this one does) lower tire pressure to increase the tire footprint for added traction. Not to minimize tire damage. On soft sand the lower tire pressure will also give you added 'float' to keep the tires from digging into the sand which will cause you to get stuck quickly. Lowering pressure will potentially increase the possibility of pinching the sidewall especially on 75 and 85 series tires when sharp rocks are present. This is quite common on rocks in PA, WV, and along the Appalachians and less common in the slick rock of the Southwest but it still happens. Street tires in the 55 series and narrower sidewalls see little to no benefit by lowering tire pressure to increase the tire foot print. Run-flat tires are completely useless for this approach to work.

Lowering pressure can help the tire protect the rim but the sidewall will get pinched. Increasing pressure will protect the tire sidewall but risk the rim. It's a tradeoff and something has to give.

FWIW, I've been driving on Run Flat tires since 2006 and I hate them but I have yet to replace a RFT due to damage (or a rim).

Current

2018 M550i Med. Blue|Cognac Dakota|Cold Weather Pkg|DA|DA+|Exec Pkg|Parking Assist|759i 20"|Rear Sun Shade|Remote Control Park|CarPlay|Rear Ent|B&W Sound|Night Vision|Gesture Control
2017 X5 35i Space Grey|Canberra Beige|Cold Weather|DA|DA+|Lux Seating|Premium Pkg|DDC+Rear Axle Air suspension|Soft-close|Rear Shade|Park Assist|HK Sound|

Past

2014 535dx
2013 X5 35i
2007 530i/6
2002 X5 4.4i
2000 540i/6
1999 M Roadster
1989 535iA
1984 533i/5
1983 533i/5
1977 530i/4
Old 02-07-2016, 05:29 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexstar View Post
i would suggest you contact your governor Chris Christy. If he can't take care of your roads, how could he ever manage all the issues we now have in the US. Sorry to hear of your trouble as I despise pot holes.
Tell him it prevented you from getting to White Manna before it closed. Then he will sympathize.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:

These are Bridgestone RunFlats, does anyone think that I should over inflate my tires by 5psi so the impact won't cause bubbles or pops? I'm currently going by what BMW puts in the door jamb
You have Bridgestone Driveguard right? The sidewall on those are pretty soft, I would try pumping them up a bit. When you buy the Bridgestone replacement tire from tire rack or your local chain store, ask for road hazard insurance for all 4 of your tires, it is less than a $100 each. Better yet, living in NJ or NY, I would trade in the BMW for a truck. Driving on those streets is pretty much going off roading

Last edited by The X Men; 02-07-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
You have Bridgestone Driveguard right? The sidewall on those are pretty soft, I would try pumping them up a bit. When you buy the Bridgestone replacement tire from tire rack or your local chain store, ask for road hazard insurance for all 4 of your tires, it is less than a $100 each. Better yet, living in NJ or NY, I would trade in the BMW for a truck. Driving on those streets is pretty much going off roading
Yes Bridgestone DriveGuard. They actually come with a supplemental 1 year road hazard warranty thats included in the cost. However, this tire has been on the car since it was initially put on, so I had to get it pro-rated.

I'm probably going to add some more air to them and monitor them to see if I see any increase in tread wear in the center of the tires.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaRedM View Post
This is off topic but off-roaders (at least this one does) lower tire pressure to increase the tire footprint for added traction. Not to minimize tire damage. On soft sand the lower tire pressure will also give you added 'float' to keep the tires from digging into the sand which will cause you to get stuck quickly. Lowering pressure will potentially increase the possibility of pinching the sidewall especially on 75 and 85 series tires when sharp rocks are present. This is quite common on rocks in PA, WV, and along the Appalachians and less common in the slick rock of the Southwest but it still happens. Street tires in the 55 series and narrower sidewalls see little to no benefit by lowering tire pressure to increase the tire foot print. Run-flat tires are completely useless for this approach to work.

Lowering pressure can help the tire protect the rim but the sidewall will get pinched. Increasing pressure will protect the tire sidewall but risk the rim. It's a tradeoff and something has to give.

FWIW, I've been driving on Run Flat tires since 2006 and I hate them but I have yet to replace a RFT due to damage (or a rim).
Well aware of all the pluses of airing down off road and was only going into the 1 benefit that might apply here! Yes airing down will reduce the chances of a blowout off road! Ever blow up a balloon nice and hard then bump it on something and have it pop? Ever blow up a balloon part way and try to pop it only to have it squish and resist your efforts to pop it? The answer is yes... Sure tires are thicker than balloons but then the forces placed on a tire on a 4000 lb vehicle are much greater than your hand on a balloon...

Old 02-08-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Well aware of all the pluses of airing down off road and was only going into the 1 benefit that might apply here! Yes airing down will reduce the chances of a blowout off road! Ever blow up a balloon nice and hard then bump it on something and have it pop? Ever blow up a balloon part way and try to pop it only to have it squish and resist your efforts to pop it? The answer is yes... Sure tires are thicker than balloons but then the forces placed on a tire on a 4000 lb vehicle are much greater than your hand on a balloon...
On a conventional tire yes, but the sidewall on a runlfat doesn't have much give at 15 PSI or 35 PSI.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
On a conventional tire yes, but the sidewall on a runlfat doesn't have much give at 15 PSI or 35 PSI.
It sure will when you slam it into a pothole! My Michelin Latitude run flats must be way different that what some of you have out there. They look just like conventional tires and the sidewalls soften when you let air out of them. I have not seen them flat but I venture to say they would collapse much like a regular tire (based on the visual difference from 45psi to 30psi) but not go completely down like a conventional tire. My 19" wheels have 50 series sidewalls so maybe something shorter like a 30 series there would be less visual change in air pressure but they will still react to different air pressure.

And I'm not talking dropping the tires to 20psi or installing bead locks and running 7 psi on the street! If you run 40psi drop 5 and watch for tire wear changes. Under inflated will wear the edges of the tread faster and over inflated will wear the middle of the tread faster.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Exclamation 6 RFTs in one year!!!

Quote:
These are Bridgestone DriveGuard RunFlats, does anyone think that I should over inflate my tires by 5psi so the impact won't cause bubbles or pops? I'm currently going by what BMW puts in the door jamb
Sounds like a streak of HORRIBLE bad luck. Esp if your stock set-up 245/45x18 RFTs are properly inflated. I guess I must count myself EXCEPTIONALLY LUCKY or HAPPY that my stock Continental RFTs have weathered the storm here in NJ. YES, our roads are HORRIBLE and I've driven through a few holes that seem to go on forever :-( Several years ago I did lose a - ONE that is - RFT on my '07 530xi but they were 40 series Bridgestones.

I have to disagree with the RFT haters - I don't think they are any less or more prone to impact damage. I do make it a point of slowing down when it's clear and apparent the roads are horrible. I really don't care if I'm 15 minutes late to a destination or if someone wants to drive in my trunk - I'll give the impatient driver every opportunity to pass me - after all, they are probably rushing to perform a heart transplant ;-)

6 in one year !! YIKES :-( Even when I was driving 50,000-75,000 miles a year I didn't have bad luck like that and I've been on RFTs going back as far as my '01 740. Maybe it's time to step up to 4 - 50 series profile tires (remembering your car's tire rolling radius will affect speedometer readings - e.g. a '13 535xDrive GT rolls on 245/50x18 tires) or buy a half-track army surplus vehicle
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!

Click on the MrRebates logo/link for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!Mr. Rebates

Last edited by luigi524td; 02-08-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: e30, e60, R1100S
Quote:
That comparison is silly, unless you're talking about a 4 ply steel belted balloon. Just because they're both made of "rubber" and hold air does not make them comparable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeNoo View Post
Although I have nothing scientific to say, I can confidently say that it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
If you want to use the fuhrers snowmobile you gotta have das tires
Old 02-08-2016, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourstagefan View Post
I have the infamous 19" Goodyear LS-2 runflats and I do add ~ 3 - 4lbs. of additional pressure over the factory recommended 35-Front/39-Rear to TRY and prevent bubbling/sidewall bursts.

I'm going to switch to non-runflats in the Spring since I carry a spare w/jack.
I also have 19" LS-2 and I keep them inflated right at specs. I am surprised that they ride and seem to handle better than the previous Pirelli in my last car, '13 3281.
Maybe it's the difference in diameter from 18 to 19 inches, but so far I am satisfied with the Goodyear product. Very smooth at high hwy speeds.

I lost one Pirelli to a pot hole here in Arlington during the very wet late spring we had. That pothole was in a city street full of water. It was so deep that it even sliced a one inch piece of metal off the edge of the 18" wheel.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
That comparison is silly, unless you're talking about a 4 ply steel belted balloon. Just because they're both made of "rubber" and hold air does not make them comparable.
Not really, unless you have enough hand strength to generate the same force as 4000lbs hitting a pothole at high speed!

Old 02-08-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
It sure will when you slam it into a pothole! My Michelin Latitude run flats must be way different that what some of you have out there. They look just like conventional tires and the sidewalls soften when you let air out of them. I have not seen them flat but I venture to say they would collapse much like a regular tire (based on the visual difference from 45psi to 30psi) but not go completely down like a conventional tire. My 19" wheels have 50 series sidewalls so maybe something shorter like a 30 series there would be less visual change in air pressure but they will still react to different air pressure.

And I'm not talking dropping the tires to 20psi or installing bead locks and running 7 psi on the street! If you run 40psi drop 5 and watch for tire wear changes. Under inflated will wear the edges of the tread faster and over inflated will wear the middle of the tread faster.
I usually set my tire pressure to 35 PSI, sometime it goes down to 30 PSI, I cannot tell the difference visually. Lowering tire pressure when going off road is for add traction, not to prevent tire damage.

Last edited by The X Men; 02-08-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I usually set my tire pressure to 35 PSI, sometime it goes down to 30 PSI, I cannot tell the difference visually.
Not surprised with only 5psi difference, I went from 45 down to 30 and could see a difference.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I usually set my tire pressure to 35 PSI, sometime it goes down to 30 PSI, I cannot tell the difference visually. Lowering tire pressure when going off road is for add traction, not to prevent tire damage.
Yes, and the mechanism that it works by is primarily lengthening the contact patch with really tall tires (or sidewall tread with wide tires):
http://www.overlandexperts.com/docs/...r_or_wider.pdf
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-08-2016, 08:48 PM

6th RFT replacement in one year

Quote:
Not surprised with only 5psi difference, I went from 45 down to 30 and could see a difference.

The recommended tire pressure for the front is something like 35 psi, driving at high speed with 25 psi would not be a safe thing to do. Also, the lower the psi, the higher the risk of of damage rim.

Last edited by The X Men; 02-08-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
The recommended tire pressure for the front is something like 35 psi, driving at high speed with 25 psi would not be a safe thing to do. Also, the lower the psi, the higher the risk of of damage rim.
I never recommended 25psi, and going back to my very first post in this thread...

Quote:
Keep in mind off road tires are usually taller sidewall and able to absorb more of the blow without damaging the wheel itself. That said, if you have very low profile tires don't drop the pressure very much. Also if you are driving over 100 mph you want higher pressure not lower than recommended.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Not really, unless you have enough hand strength to generate the same force as 4000lbs hitting a pothole at high speed!

Even at the point of failure I'm not seeing that kind of distention.
Quote:
Quote:

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search