3 Series Diesel - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-16-2018, 02:17 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
3 Series Diesel

There have been a number of threads / posts here recently by folks saying they plan to purchase a BMW diesel and drive it for many, many miles. The following is a public service announcement.

I was at my Indy today getting some tires changed. There was a beautiful Deep Sea Blue E90 335d in his lot. which I commented on. (Those who have been friends of the marque will remember the E90 335d as a veritable rocket sled: a turbo 6 oil burner with prodigious torque. Back in the day, everyone who leased one had a big old silly grin plastered on their faces 24/7.)

I had an X5 35D back then, so could relate to the feeling. But the DEF tank issues and EGR fiasco - plus Mrs. Quack's wrath when I would track the stench of spilled fuel into the house - made me a one-time diesel guy.

My mechanic, a former BMW Master Tech, just shook his head sadly. "I actually have TWO of them on the lot, and they are the WORST cars BMW ever made. We can't get parts to fix them. Up to 80,000 miles the owners were able to go to the dealership and get them fixed under the extended emissions warranty. But they are over miles now.

"The owner of that Deep Sea Blue one has paid for SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS worth of out-of warranty repairs, and it still won't pass the emissions test. He had to petition the RMV to get an exemption. So he can keep driving it till something else breaks, but he's stuck with the car. It has zero trade in or resale value."

Food for thought?

2017 540i MSport
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2018 340i RWD 6MT MSport
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2018, 09:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
More like a reason for looking for another mechanic.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:10 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
I've heard lots of good and lots of bad about BMW's 6 cylinder diesels. To me seems like the older M57 (which is what you will find in the e90 335d) is unreliable while the newer N57 seems to have far less issues. Got lots of owners saying their BMW diesel has been trouble-free, others are experiencing issues. as for the 4 cylinder versions, they are trash.

as for the engine itself, I was very impressed. I was in an e90 335d Uber ages back and loved it. stage 2 tune, the torque was absolutely nuts, very smooth, great sound especially for a diesel. it did not rev or accelerate like a diesel at all. I can't say enough good things about BMW diesels but this older M57 truly does not seem to be reliable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2018, 10:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 320i
Purely anecdotal, but when I bought my F30 last February, I ran into a service advisor, at the BMW dealership, that I had used several years back when I owned a Mercedes (he worked at the Mercedes dealership then). We talked about the diesels (I was coming out of a VW Passat TDI) and he said stay away from the Bimmer diesels. He said they’re quality was hit or miss. Some cars did great. Some were troublesome, particularly their emissions components. That’s too bad. I had been admiring a 335d that usually passed me on the way to work in the mornings. Sweet car.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-16-2018, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCWhybrew View Post
Purely anecdotal, but when I bought my F30 last February, I ran into a service advisor, at the BMW dealership, that I had used several years back when I owned a Mercedes (he worked at the Mercedes dealership then). We talked about the diesels (I was coming out of a VW Passat TDI) and he said stay away from the Bimmer diesels. He said they're quality was hit or miss. Some cars did great. Some were troublesome, particularly their emissions components. That's too bad. I had been admiring a 335d that usually passed me on the way to work in the mornings. Sweet car.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
That's what's ive noticed too. These diesels are a huge hit or miss, but I wouldn't say stay away from them all together unless it's BMW's 4 cylinder. If you found a nice 335d with one owner history that hasn't had several constant weird little issues here and there, chances are you've found yourself a great car.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:08 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by John MS View Post
More like a reason for looking for another mechanic.
Guy is the best wrench in New England. It's not his fault that replacement parts are not available from BMW. But maybe you would just use duct tape and parts from a VW TDI on yours? Let us know how that works out.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Bimmerfest mobile app

2017 540i MSport
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2018 340i RWD 6MT MSport
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 06-17-2018, 12:42 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
For customers in the U.S. and Canada markets, the fake model names used on most diesel powered BMW vehicles is reason enough to boycott them. 335d referenced in the OP is actually a 330d.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:17 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
My best friend in the world owns a smog shop.

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 06-17-2018, 03:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
For customers in the U.S. and Canada markets, the fake model names used on most diesel powered BMW vehicles is reason enough to boycott them. 335d referenced in the OP is actually a 330d.
No it's not. BMW's 6 cylinder diesels are absolutely great engines. Just because Americans don't like diesels for whatever reason does not mean you should boycott 413 LB-FT of torque from barely 1500RPM.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 330i
I owned a 2011 335d from November of 2017 to April of 2018. I loved the car and the handling and the engine (when it was working correctly) was a dream. Mine had 46,000 miles on it when I bought it. However the service engine soon light went on weekly. And it was never ending. The extended warranty did help some, BMW Service threw parts at it and the the SES light would reappear and then we'd go down another rabbit hole. I don't think BMW fixed the new parts or the emission system to be more reliable and the final straw was being presented with a bill to walnut blast the intake that I'd have to pay out of pocket. I bailed - I needed reliability and I was willing to work with it but the constant cycle of emission related failures was too much to give me confidence I could drive the car for the next 5 years as I intended. I love the E90 and the drive but I'd never recommend the 6 inline diesel as a reliable engine...Unless you have lots of money and patience.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: '17 GTI '16 981 CS
I owned 2006 VW TDI and 2013 VW TDI. When the time came to have my car confiscated, I decided, with lot of misgivings, that the time has come to ditch diesel if I was to stay in U.S.

Frankly, I do not think BMW diesels have a problem, but I have no issue believing they do have a problem in U.S. How come? Same way as with how BMWs do not have wheel and tire issues in Frankfurt, but they do have a lot of issues in New York or Boston. Some things are better left where they belong.

That said, my 2013 VW never felt "right" as did my 2006. Tinkering with software to appease The Ignorant And The Corrupted only because changing actual hardware to make it kosher to said bunch certainly didn't help. Actually, I am not talking about "cheat software", I am talking about all other software they had to put there for tailpipe readings (States that have them) and other stuff before it went on dyno for standard test. Diesels made for EU that stayed in EU (I rent at least 3 or 4 cars each year in EU) felt a LOT better than that 2013 VW here. Most brands, VW included. Also, hindsight is 20/20, but I have been saying this even before the bomb went off in Sept of 2015.

So, sadly, you will have to live with decisions that The Ignorant And The Corrupted have brought down on you. You.

Businesses, however - now THAT is a COMPLETELY different story. Want a diesel? Plenty of options there. Did you hear they just dug up the Real Gettysburg Address? You know what Abe really said? He said "... of the business, by the business and for the business ..." - they have been lying to you all along. It was never meant to be "... of the people, by the people and for the people ..." . Never.

/sarcasm

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

2013 VW Golf TDI [CONFISCATED]

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010) [SOLD]
Old 06-19-2018, 08:15 AM

Ooops, timing is everything, as they say I swear I didn't contact the poster nor do I know him/her

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...34&postcount=6

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

Old 06-19-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
Ooops, timing is everything, as they say I swear I didn't contact the poster nor do I know him/her

I wonder if the fact that they’re all European spec diesels has anything to do with their longevity and reliability? How different are the emissions set up?

It’s too bad that the US oil burning diesels get a bad rap. I’d sure like one. I miss my VW Passat TDI.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 06-19-2018, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: F33 435i
Quote:

Yes, I see the surreal coincidence ...

Anyway, to chip in from europe - diesel is strong with us actually it's preferred engine if you intend to keep any vehicle past 100K. Somebody actually pointed out to me that you chaps in usa, don't get low sulphur fuel ... another thing that can point towards the engine problems is bad oil - always go for ACEA-C4 as minimum. And yes, you guys get urea injection... I can only feel sorry for you.

But maybe look at this from outside angle, whenever there is a problem with brake by wire (toyota) or emissions (audi) there is a massive few year long which hunt ... but when GM or FORD releases new death trap on wheel "It's OK"

About the mechanic ... we live in times when some bearded geeks managed to land a spacecraft on comet, we have essentially a nuclear powered SUV driving on mars ... if guy can't fix a car by simply obtaining replacement part, he might just be plain ****. (and the "it's not available" ain't gonna wash - my colleague managed to get headlights for a Isuzu truck that is not being even made for last 12 years).

About the car - if it's ZERO resale value I'll take it from you. I will even organise container and shipment ... here I will sell it for part because it's left hander and I'll be laughing.

bhp has to match the series

http://vonnlu.com/sp33dy
Old 06-19-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_tm View Post
Yes, I see the surreal coincidence ...

Anyway, to chip in from europe - diesel is strong with us actually it's preferred engine if you intend to keep any vehicle past 100K. Somebody actually pointed out to me that you chaps in usa, don't get low sulphur fuel ... another thing that can point towards the engine problems is bad oil - always go for ACEA-C4 as minimum. And yes, you guys get urea injection... I can only feel sorry for you.

But maybe look at this from outside angle, whenever there is a problem with brake by wire (toyota) or emissions (audi) there is a massive few year long which hunt ... but when GM or FORD releases new death trap on wheel "It's OK"

About the mechanic ... we live in times when some bearded geeks managed to land a spacecraft on comet, we have essentially a nuclear powered SUV driving on mars ... if guy can't fix a car by simply obtaining replacement part, he might just be plain ****. (and the "it's not available" ain't gonna wash - my colleague managed to get headlights for a Isuzu truck that is not being even made for last 12 years).

About the car - if it's ZERO resale value I'll take it from you. I will even organise container and shipment ... here I will sell it for part because it's left hander and I'll be laughing.

We have ultra low sulphur diesel fuel. “Some” claim that the low sulphur content leads to modern Diesel engine problems because of the reduced fuel lubricant property. At least that’s what I have read...and I’m certainly no expert. Also contributing to our “problems” is the urea systems that the EPA forces on us. My comments aren’t BMW specific. Just what I’ve read and experienced owning a ford diesel truck and VW diesel Passat.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 06-19-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCWhybrew View Post
I wonder if the fact that they’re all European spec diesels has anything to do with their longevity and reliability? How different are the emissions set up?

It’s too bad that the US oil burning diesels get a bad rap. I’d sure like one. I miss my VW Passat TDI.
I do not know The Truth, of course. If I had to guess, the engines were made native to run in EU with current or even upcoming EuroX set of rules (Euro1, Euro2 ... Euro6). If they do not fit another market, modifications are necessary. Mods, whether done in a tree shade or at OEM are still that - mods. Add to this that the cleanliness of US Diesel fuel is at most debatable (not talking sulfur content) and certified lower cetane level than EU Diesel, then we might have something on our hands. Just my speculation.

Yeah, I am dearly missing my 2006 Jetta TDI. That is the only car I owned that I definitely regretted getting rid of.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i MT
Quote:
Anyway I can only extend my condolences to you guys for urea enforcement ... but you know, try to find out who is the biggest adblue supplier in US and figure out who is lobbing for them, you know "follow the money" ?
This is not about business. Here in the US there is only one emission limit that covers both gasoline and diesel cars. Diesels have a hard time to comply.
In Europe emission limits are higher for diesels than gasolines. It is the diesel lobbying in Europe, not the other way around.
This may change in the short future.

Bosch said they have diesel systems that comply with strict US limits, however even more complex and expensive.
1998 BMW 528i MT @ 231k //sold
1997 Saab 9000 //sold

Last edited by acoste; 06-19-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
I do not know The Truth, of course. If I had to guess, the engines were made native to run in EU with current or even upcoming EuroX set of rules (Euro1, Euro2 ... Euro6). If they do not fit another market, modifications are necessary. Mods, whether done in a tree shade or at OEM are still that - mods. Add to this that the cleanliness of US Diesel fuel is at most debatable (not talking sulfur content) and certified lower cetane level than EU Diesel, then we might have something on our hands. Just my speculation.

Yeah, I am dearly missing my 2006 Jetta TDI. That is the only car I owned that I definitely regretted getting rid of.
Good point. This applies to gasoline engines too. Particularly the quality of fuel here in NA, which is not good.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:17 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I do not know The Truth, of course. If I had to guess, the engines were made native to run in EU with current or even upcoming EuroX set of rules (Euro1, Euro2 ... Euro6). If they do not fit another market, modifications are necessary. Mods, whether done in a tree shade or at OEM are still that - mods...
This is nonsense. Engines are engineered for all markets at once. This isnt some Bavarian Motor Works tinkering with their models to sail them over to the US and hope americans buy them... Just nonsense.

I wont touch on the fuel stuff. Except to say if a manufacturer sells a car in the USA, it must run on the fuel you can buy in the USA. IMO blaming the fuel is a weasel tactic perpetuated by manufacturers and 'gommint is evil' types.

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Old 06-19-2018, 04:36 PM

Ok guys, I have some strong opinions about america, but for f**** sake, it can't be all that bad on fuel there ??? You've got few "fun states" but it's not as bad as some **** holes in europe where they mix solvents with petrol because they stole from some cargo train and now they are trying to flog it with user fuel ... Don't beat your self about it that much, I'm outsider - I'm supposed to take a piss, not you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoste View Post
This is not about business. Here in the US there is only one emission limit that covers both gasoline and diesel cars. Diesels have a hard time to comply.
In Europe emission limits are higher for diesels than gasolines. It is the diesel lobbying in Europe, not the other way around.
Actually the Euro X standards are adjusted per ignition type (compression / spark). So for example CO is tenth of lev160 for diesel and fifth for petrol, NMHC is half of lev160 for petrol (it does not matter for diesel, because those don't even exists on diesel). So it's adjusted more to local problems and some regulations are more realistic than others ... but problems show up then some usa brands show up in europe with 4 cats to make it comply ... than you see M4 CTS with DPF in local dealership.

ps. since F30 diesels were introduced in 2014, than they don't have to comply with lev160 in USA, but with LEV "2" so ... technically speaking you can get away with murder you can decat and dedpf it and still fly through test. Maybe that's the thing, ask the tester, which test he / she is testing agains ? if it's LEV160 for car homologated before 2015, then they have to just re-confirm what are they doing.

ps.2. but hey, as usual ... I'm wrong : D

Last edited by wally_tm; 06-19-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:46 PM

ps 3. so we are on same page here ... your "fun states" have some f up things going on and it's damn funny to take a pis out of them, but as a simple reminder: it was rednecks that went to space and landed on the moon Sooooooo maybe it's not all that bad, huh ???

Old 06-19-2018, 04:55 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
and landed on the moon
Huh. Only if you fell for the Government Fraud

Old 06-19-2018, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 440i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Huh. Only if you fell for the Government Fraud
Please tell me you're not serious.
2019 440i Coupe • ///M Sport Design • Mineral Grey Metallic • Black Dakota/Blue Stitched leather • Aluminum Dark Carbon/Pearl Gloss Chrome trim • Track Handling Package • Orbit Grey 398/Michelin PSS • Driving Assistance Package • Black Kidney Grilles • Stainless Steel Pedals • PCD 4/27/18
Old 06-19-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Actually the Euro X standards are adjusted per ignition type (compression / spark). So for example CO is tenth of lev160 for diesel and fifth for petrol, NMHC is half of lev160 for petrol (it does not matter for diesel, because those don't even exists on diesel).
It is the NOx limit that is hard on diesels, that's why it needs AdBlue. Gasolines emit more CO, Diesels emit more NOx and small particles.
1997 Saab 9000 //sold

Last edited by acoste; 06-19-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
This is nonsense. Engines are engineered for all markets at once. This isnt some Bavarian Motor Works tinkering with their models to sail them over to the US and hope americans buy them... Just nonsense.

I wont touch on the fuel stuff. Except to say if a manufacturer sells a car in the USA, it must run on the fuel you can buy in the USA. IMO blaming the fuel is a weasel tactic perpetuated by manufacturers and 'gommint is evil' types.
Sometimes there are products that are "underperforming" in another country. By looking at the numbers of diesel car sales, Europe vs America, it is easy to see which market is more important for the diesel designers and where they have more data from.
BMW's failure with diesel engines in America - if there is any - could be the result of not having enough local test data.
On the E70 forum there are plenty of high mileage diesel X5s.

SUVs are a lot more popular in America than in Europe, so BMW built the SUV factory here.

VW has a separate factory for US market in Mexico. The VWs in US are inferior to VWs in Europe because here they are competing with Ford, which has a lower price point than the European VW quality. There are many aspects of design vs country.
1997 Saab 9000 //sold

Last edited by acoste; 06-19-2018 at 05:03 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search