New 2012 Audi A6 vs. 2011 BMW 5 Series - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 04:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 17 540i x
I like the aesthetic of the new A6. It is quite beautiful. I find the pop up screen problematic. Most people will just leaver it popped up all the time while driving. Screens are here to stay and need to be integrated into the dash.

17 540i x
14 550i Euro Del, Retired
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
07 330i Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2019 M5 CP in MBB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
I like the aesthetic of the new A6. It is quite beautiful. I find the pop up screen problematic. Most people will just leaver it popped up all the time while driving. Screens are here to stay and need to be integrated into the dash.
Yes a step backwards indeed, I have one bit of "Praise" of the Audi though. The sat-Nav did warn me of a real hazard on a journey to the airport, this actually got me to my holiday flight on time.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 750ix M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronsell View Post
I think Darth Vader must have designed the front end.
That explains it! As I walked passed that Audi the other day and was making observations about its appearance (which I do not like), I thought that I had heard a subtle hissing noise followed by the statement, "Luke, I am your father . . ." Maybe the front end of the Audi is such a mess because it reflects the conflict between the dark side and the good side of the force. Long live Yoda!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 330 Ci
Exterior is hardly exciting, and the interior is no surprise given the A8 and A7 exteriors. At least they finally got ride of that cheap looking silvery plastic around the gauges. The real news is that it will be available with the S-tronic transmission (which is fantastic in the S4), and you can also get the sport rear differential (also used in the S4). Paired with the 3.0 supercharged engine, and it will give a 535 a serious run for its money.

Oh, and it will also have a spare tire.

Last edited by Kouper; 12-04-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
Oh, and it will also have a spare tire.
But still no dipstick. I guess 1 out of 2 aint bad.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
Audi got rid of the dipstick too?

Anyway, in Europe Audi has taken over as the top dog in luxury car volume. In China it's more or less the official vehicle for the government. They are doing something right. In the U.S. it's improving but still lag behind the other 2, but things could change though - Audi is part of the mighty VW group that has added Porsche, so the amount of resources behind the brand is vast.

The new A6 is no more or less beautiful than the F10. The champions of design language these days are Jaguar and Aston Martin.

Audi/VW reliability still befuddles me. My guess is that people in the U.S. drive a lot more than people in EU and Asia due to the distance factor. Of course, MB and BMW aren't so reliable either.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
At least they finally got ride of that cheap looking silvery plastic around the gauges. .
+1

I can't believe how many articles I read praising the Audi's as having the best interiors. The silvery plastic shroud would look out of place in a car costing half the price.

I will withhold commenting on the looks until I see the A6 in person. I always think it is difficult to judge a car by pictures alone.

I really hope it turns out to be a great car - competition is good.

Last edited by 5Xwen; 12-09-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 535i Xdrive +'01 Corvette
OK I'll jump in.

I do not like the front grill of the Audi at all. I know Audi is proud of the grill design and even brags about its size and visual impact. I just don't like it. Never have.

The new model headlights look like they have droopy lids. This is emphasized by the narrower roof top. The pop up Nav is terrible. I do like the side profile of the A6. The butt shot of the A6 has the curved down sides which are emphasized by the narrow roof top and looks like an overweight hind-end of a large animal.

I obviously do not like the styling. The BMW is a much tighter design with more flowing lines and presents a more open stance.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535xi
Biased feedback on the new A6;
1. Love the front end, but keep the cutsie, LED "xmas light" arrays under the headlights.
2. The b-pillar/side view has never done it for me, and the 2012 sniffs of the Ford 500--the overall stance appears to be "leaning back" (esp the new A4s). I prefer lean fwd/ready to pounce stance of the f10.
3. Like the rear end, but am not a fan of the generic-looking tail lights--not distinctive/branded at all.
4. The pop up screen would be a dealbreaker for me. The rest of the interior doesn't flow--too many shapes fighting each other.

Overall, a nice redo. 'Glad I went with the f10.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:42 PM

Car and Driver First Drive

Car and Driver:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review

"The A6 uses the latest version of Quattro, with a nominal front/rear power distribution of 40/60 percent. Add to that an optional sport differential that actually distributes torque instead of cutting it off like stability-control-based "torque vectoring" systems offered on cheaper cars, and the A6 is supremely capable. The electro-mechanical steering is nicely weighted, and its feel is vastly superior to that of the BMW 5-series, which has had most of its feeling snuffed out by a new electric booster.

The A6ís modular-longitudinal platform places the front axle farther forward than the old, nose-heavy A6ís, making for far better weight distribution and greatly reducing the carís tendency to understeer. The dynamic abilities of the new A6 also are enhanced by its lower weight. Audi managed to shave almost 300 pounds off of the old carís heft with extensive use of lightweight materials, mostly aluminum."

Lower weight, torque vectoring, these are the things BMW should be doing to the 5.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
If the new A6 drives anything like the new S4 that went through similar changes it is very serious competition to the F10.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2019 M5 CP in MBB.
Just my 2P, yesterday i spent 100 miles on "B" roads very twisty for much of the time, we went cross country instead of motorway.
Anyway after say 10 miles I started to explore the 550i M Sports capabilities and even in "normal" it was good but "sport setting" suspension only: it was very capable, I was really confident by the end of the trip, it was very sure footed.
The one thing I had to be careful of was the shear "Grunt" out of corners
Old 02-01-2011, 04:43 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
Car and Driver:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review

"The A6 uses the latest version of Quattro, with a nominal front/rear power distribution of 40/60 percent. Add to that an optional sport differential that actually distributes torque instead of cutting it off like stability-control-based "torque vectoring" systems offered on cheaper cars, and the A6 is supremely capable. The electro-mechanical steering is nicely weighted, and its feel is vastly superior to that of the BMW 5-series, which has had most of its feeling snuffed out by a new electric booster.

The A6ís modular-longitudinal platform places the front axle farther forward than the old, nose-heavy A6ís, making for far better weight distribution and greatly reducing the carís tendency to understeer. The dynamic abilities of the new A6 also are enhanced by its lower weight. Audi managed to shave almost 300 pounds off of the old carís heft with extensive use of lightweight materials, mostly aluminum."

Lower weight, torque vectoring, these are the things BMW should be doing to the 5.
excuse my french but C&D has such a hard-on for BMW steering being so un-BMW.

and i still don't understand it.

2016 F15 X5 35i, Spacegrau, Canberra Beige/Black, Fineline wood trim, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance Plus (ACC), DHP, Luxury Seating, Premium Package, Harman Kardon
Old 02-01-2011, 05:45 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
excuse my french but C&D has such a hard-on for BMW steering being so un-BMW.

and i still don't understand it.
Yes, they do. But I do understand it. More C&D editors have bought 3 series with their own money than any other car....haven't you seen the ads? LOL. But honestly, that's the problem. To most C&D editors, the 3 series is the ultimate sports sedan yardstick, and the M3 is the top of the charts. Anything that's outside of that realm is just not good enough for them. They also seemed to have stopped receiving payments from BMW while those from Audi seemed to have started based on their recent comparisons.

In all seriousness, though, the F10 has moved in a different direction, and they don't like it. That's fine with me. My co-worker has a 2009 A6 SLine 3.0T. It's a fast car, but the age of the interior shows and it's not very comfotable. Moreover, the car's ride is bordering on pathetic and the steering is shockingly light. So much so that I wonder why C&D protests so much about the BMW steering being so light. In the Audi, it's like turning a rheostat.

I really love the looks of the outgoing A6, and the 3.0T is just a stonking engine. But I wasn't waiting for a new one, and the old one is just, well, old. Having seen the photos, I'm glad that I made the choice that I did, but I think the A6 is going to be a very nice vehicle, and I look forward to driving it.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-01-2011, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: 535i Xdrive +'01 Corvette
I am sure the A6 is a fine car. I also love my F10. The thing that drove me to BMW rather than Audi is the poor reliability a friend has had with 2 A4 cars 5 years apart. I have an X drive F10 and to me the steering is fine. I love the ride on the highway in Normal or comfort, but I also love the Sport on back roads. I have named the car Sybil due to its dual personality.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ronsell
Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
What's all the hoopla? The side looks very staid, very straight (parallel to ground) lines -- doesn't look fresh or new to me. Somehow the body looks somehow "plopped" onto the wheels, the overall integration doesn't look so great to me (i.e., door handles?). From the other linked image site, the interior side door handle panel, with buttons, looks (dare I say it) somehow Buick-like. The NAV screen and steering wheel look ridiculous, IMO.
Amen...
Old 02-01-2011, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 3.5x
I was really in a dilemma deciding between this car and the F10.

On one hand, I had a less-than-stellar experience with my E60 (we've patched things up but I still hold a grudge sometimes), so I was keen to get out of BMW and back to Audi.

Note: I'm not a brand loyalist to either; both have their strong and weak points.

I had considered an S4, but Audi stripped luxury from that car and they also d*ck you on residuals for the Prestige model, so that was out. I possibly would have waited for the '12 A6, but that was a crapshoot.

In the end, with BMW's ED + decent lease rates on the F10, I went with another 535xi. I also observed in multiple test drives with the F10 that a lot of my b*tch points about the E60 have been addressed in the F10. So that put a smile on my face.

Would I like to be in a 2012 A6? Probably, I think it's a sharp looking car and I really do enjoy driving a quattro car over X-drive.

But I'll take my F10 now, keep it for three years, and then hopefully by 2014 Audi will have a refresh of the A6, including an in-dash screen (you know, like the outgoing generation?!?! ), and I'll get one of those after they've worked out the bugs.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)

Last edited by FastMarkA; 02-01-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:00 AM

Insideline's first take:
2012 Audi A6 First Drive
Old 02-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
Insideline's first take:
2012 Audi A6 First Drive
Methinks in S Line trim it's going to be a strong competitor to the 535.

In the end it will come down to personal preference, I think, but there are likely no losers here.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-01-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Methinks in S Line trim it's going to be a strong competitor to the 535.
In the end it will come down to personal preference, I think, but there are likely no losers here.
Exactly. All three major German midsize sedans are looking very similar at the core. Expensive, massive, and filled to the max with technology. It just comes down to personal preference.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:59 PM

Opinions wise, C&D editors never said anything about the steering in the old E60, or F01. There is a difference there. The new X3 and 6 series now gets the same blame for electric steering. And various other new cars with electric steering, not just BMW.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
Exactly. All three major German midsize sedans are looking very similar at the core. Expensive, massive, and filled to the max with technology. It just comes down to personal preference.
You could not have said it better. Each of the manufacturers have a slightly different feel to them that caters to their brand loyal core while expanding to other costumer. In the end it is all personal perference. All three brands have great cars and all three brands have problems with their cars too .

I don't have an F10, I have an E60 that experienced problems typical for the N54. Given that experience, I would seriously consider the A6 3.0 T. Audi certainly went the right way with a lighter car. If the car drives like a bigger S4 it will an awesome ride. I, too, think that the S-line will be great competition for BMW - which is a good thing for all of us.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sport Package
The Audi A5 and S5 IMO, is the best looking car Audi builds. But it's like walking down the boardwalk on a hot summers day and this incredibly hot girl is walking ahead. She brings a smile to your face and maybe draws an elbow from your wife or significant other. Then she turns around with that grill!
I just couldn't pull the trigger.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Audi.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	264794 Click image for larger version

Name:	Audifront.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	264795
BMWCCA Member #458528 www.bmwcca.org

"If Things Seem Under Control, You're Not Going Fast Enough"
Mario Andretti
Old 02-01-2011, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymaster View Post
The Audi A5 and S5 IMO, is the best looking car Audi builds. But it's like walking down the boardwalk on a hot summers day and this incredibly hot girl is walking ahead. She brings a smile to your face and maybe draws an elbow from your wife or significant other. Then she turns around with that grill!
I just couldn't pull the trigger.....

Attachment 264794 Attachment 264795
Great analogy! +1. I never considered an Audi, however.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
Great analogy! +1. I never considered an Audi, however.
They're worth considering. I really like the styling, but here in LA, RWD with summer tires is the ideal set up for 90% dry and 10% rain. If I lived in say Minnesota, I would be thinking differently. I'd much rather have the new A6 than the E class
Closed Thread

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search