iDrive died today - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 X1 xDrive 28i
I do not believe CPO covers the entertainment system. I know it did not in my e90, but that was before iDrive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2017, 02:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Kommissar View Post
I do not believe CPO covers the entertainment system. I know it did not in my e90, but that was before iDrive.
Yep, I asked my SA a little earlier today and she said the CPO warranty would not have covered this.

I can kind of understand not covering an entertainment system, but this is kind of the main communication tool in the car, so while I'm not all that surprised, it is still a little disappointing.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:19 PM
Northern BMW Fan

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1 xdrive28i
Same here - it's how you interact with the main computer and is completely integrated into the car unlike in other makes. CPO should cover this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2017, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucketfoot View Post
Yep, I asked my SA a little earlier today and she said the CPO warranty would not have covered this.

I can kind of understand not covering an entertainment system, but this is kind of the main communication tool in the car, so while I'm not all that surprised, it is still a little disappointing.
Thanks for the follow-up and info on warranty coverage. My iDrive has been fine since the incident last week so appears the gremlins have moved on for awhile. I'll leave as is until it completely dies, hopefully never.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:31 PM
Northern BMW Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyX1 View Post
Thanks for the follow-up and info on warranty coverage. My iDrive has been fine since the incident last week so appears the gremlins have moved on for awhile. I'll leave as is until it completely dies, hopefully never.
Keep in mind that if it's a loose connection causing the issue, it might be the reason why iDrive dies - quick repetitive switching on/off of any electronic device is a certain way to shorten it's lifespan. Disconnecting and reconnecting all plugs might solve the issue permanently (if one plug is sitting funny for example), plus you can check harness for any corrosion / wear. Although if the issue is software based then this will just be a waste of time of course.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:26 AM

Thank you. In respect to checking for a loose connection, has anyone seen a guide or video kicking around on exactly what/where any connections are located that should be checked? Is this a DIY activity or something that requires major dash removal? Appreciate any knowledge or advice that someone with first hand experience can share. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:30 AM
Northern BMW Fan

Check out YouTube for aftermarket installation guides - they'll show you how to take apart the central console and just how much needs to be taken apart.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstolpner View Post
Check out YouTube for aftermarket installation guides - they'll show you how to take apart the central console and just how much needs to be taken apart.
Will do...thanks.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search