Thoughts on buying 2017 X3 CPO - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)

X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
The second generation X3 added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 02-16-2020, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: 528XI
Thoughts on buying 2017 X3 CPO

Greetings. I recently changed jobs that now requires me too drive around 100 miles a day. I realize leasing is too difficult at this point (Need over 20000 miles). Any thoughts on buying a 2017 CPO X3, the dealers seem to have tons of them in and you can find cars with less then 20K miles in the mid $20Ks. I am also thinking about a Lexus NX, but the BMWs are much more plentiful and seem to go for a few grand less.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2020, 08:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3, X1
Consider the mpg ratings if you are going to be driving that much.The PO program changed a few years ago and hence check if unlimited miles is now the standard (it used to be limited to up to 100k miles when I got my X3 some 3 years ago). An xDrive will get slightly worse mpg than a 2WD, hence consider if you need AWD or not, as well. As to comfort, they are quite good; I cannot speak compared to a Lexus, not having been in an NX. Mainly, it's what you feel most comfortable in and the only way to know for sure is to test drive all your options and see what makes the most sense then financially.

Current:
2014 X3 and X1 xDrive 28i
Previous:
2013 X3 xDrive 28i
Subaru Outback sport, Saab 99 and 99 Turbo, Volvo 264, Honda CRX, Jaguar E-Type drophead coupe and Mk II sedan
Old 02-16-2020, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 528XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-BMW View Post
Consider the mpg ratings if you are going to be driving that much.The PO program changed a few years ago and hence check if unlimited miles is now the standard (it used to be limited to up to 100k miles when I got my X3 some 3 years ago). An xDrive will get slightly worse mpg than a 2WD, hence consider if you need AWD or not, as well. As to comfort, they are quite good; I cannot speak compared to a Lexus, not having been in an NX. Mainly, it's what you feel most comfortable in and the only way to know for sure is to test drive all your options and see what makes the most sense then financially.
Thanks for the feedback. I have actually once had the car, as a lease. I liked the car very much and expect the MPG in a BMW to be worse then a Honda or the non luxury car.

I am most concerned about the car quality and any issues it might have. The CPO is one year unlimited added to the new car warranty. I figure most of the cars coming off lease have about a year left and then I get the one year CPO. I should put 40-50 thousand before the warranty ends. Is the assumption after the warranty I should try and sell or can I be ok with keeping to go with it. as a comparison Lexus gives two years CPO and unlimited and has a very good quality record over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2020, 12:23 PM

You used to get up to a grand total of up to six years years or 100k miles (whichever came first) for a BMW CPO, back when I got my '14 around 3 years ago. It was 4 years/50k miles before the main warranty expired and then you could get up to two more years or 100k miles of coverage. It frankly sucks that the CPO available now is so limited by comparison. I have no intention of getting a BMW CPO again under such limited conditions and am currently eyeing an MB or Porsche as a better replacement option, given the more generous CPO conditions. One year of unlimited mileage might be good for a few but not for average drivers. Even in your case, you're not going to be putting on anywhere close to that many miles. Do look into the Audi or other options that are more generous on CPO coverage. If you're going to spend that much, you may as well get the peace of mind that comes with it and not have to start fretting about warranty coverage that soon.

Current:
Previous:
2013 X3 xDrive 28i
Subaru Outback sport, Saab 99 and 99 Turbo, Volvo 264, Honda CRX, Jaguar E-Type drophead coupe and Mk II sedan
Old 02-17-2020, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 x3
I wanted a smaller SUV than my 2015 x5 and found that the new x3 was almost as big. Looked at many other brands and then decided on the x3 model year just prior to upsizing. The in-service date of the CPO I bought was 8/17. I saw some for sale in late 2016. I did buy extended warranty and 4 year extended breakdown coverage. I am happy with the switch to this size x3.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpaNow View Post
I wanted a smaller SUV than my 2015 x5 and found that the new x3 was almost as big. Looked at many other brands and then decided on the x3 model year just prior to upsizing. The in-service date of the CPO I bought was 8/17. I saw some for sale in late 2016. I did buy extended warranty and 4 year extended breakdown coverage. I am happy with the switch to this size x3.
Good find. I drove a 2020 loaner a few months ago and yes, it seems about as big now as the older X5 model! Why in the world do companies keep making models bigger and bigger?! Even the new Toyota RAV4 is about as big now as the older X3. Ridiculous.

Current:
Previous:
2013 X3 xDrive 28i
Old 02-17-2020, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 xDrive28d
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-BMW View Post
Good find. I drove a 2020 loaner a few months ago and yes, it seems about as big now as the older X5 model! Why in the world do companies keep making models bigger and bigger?! Even the new Toyota RAV4 is about as big now as the older X3. Ridiculous.
Unfortunately I'm bigger than when I bought my 2015

I don't know what route I'll go next time. Could be bigger, could be smaller. Depends on my mood at the time. But if it is bigger, it will probably be because I bought a pickup.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:59 PM

No one vehicle can possibly satisfy all needs, and yes they do change over time. Owning multiple vehicles isn't always an option, either. Worst case, you can always rent something for a while to fulfill a special need and it will in many cases be less expensive than owning yet another vehicle.

Current:
Previous:
2013 X3 xDrive 28i

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search