X3 30i or m40i? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 G01 (2018 - current)

X3 G01 (2018 - current)
The third generation X3 starts production in August of 2017 and will include the new X3 M40i top of the line performance model.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:18 PM
My M...not Hers

Mein Auto: 19 X3M40i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
FWIW, we did decide to replace her leased X5d with an X3 M40i as I said we might in my first post in this thread. We are getting one that is pretty loaded as we tend to like vehicle options (and I like all the safety tech, makes me feel better about her driving around).

Our X3 M40 MSRP is 67,390, which is more than the cost of the entry level new X5, but her current X5 is also loaded (MSRP north of 75k for an X5d), so in effect she would be losing options (as well as losing size) if we did not get the options.

She loved (loved) the car on the test drive, wanted the smaller size, and said it would be easier to navigate parking lots and such. She (and I) absolutely do... not..."need" the extra speed from the M40i but the enthusiast in me likes it, and she also likes to "get up N go" sometimes. She had a huge grin on her face when she test drove it. I didnt even test drive it actually, as how she felt about it was more important to me than how I felt about it, even though we both will drive both of our cars.

To answer the thread, for me the M40 is absolutely worth it, but I think there is zero wrong with the 30i. We like the bigger engine (and like the noise of the bigger engine), and optioned the way we like them, the difference in price is closer to 5k to 5500 (once you put the same options on an 30i equivalent to how we have the 40i specced).
Congrats. What's in it. Color? Gonna love it. Everyday is day one. I leave it in sport mode. I'm 71.. I need all the action and excitement I can get. Only regret is I don't drive it enough. Just give me a reason to go on an errand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2018, 05:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITEX View Post
Congrats. What's in it. Color? Gonna love it. Everyday is day one. I leave it in sport mode. I'm 71.. I need all the action and excitement I can get. Only regret is I don't drive it enough. Just give me a reason to go on an errand.

She wanted the Blue (phytonic blue?) with the black leather with blue stitching. We are getting all options except ventilated seats (because of the difference in bolstering / comfort in the ventilated vs non ventilated seats) and trailer hitch (as we have no toys to tow).. Oh and no manual built in shades as I will be getting 3m crystalline tint on it.

We dont have it yet, its on order and just started production. Looking like Mid Jan. We will have 2 blue cars in the garage, as I just replaced my blue 2016 435 with a blue tesla model 3 performance edition.

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance |blue /blk|Perf. pack|FSD

BMW CCA #477341
Old 12-09-2018, 06:07 PM
My M...not Hers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post

She wanted the Blue (phytonic blue?) with the black leather with blue stitching. We are getting all options except ventilated seats (because of the difference in bolstering / comfort in the ventilated vs non ventilated seats) and trailer hitch (as we have no toys to tow).. Oh and no manual built in shades as I will be getting 3m crystalline tint on it.

We dont have it yet, its on order and just started production. Looking like Mid Jan. We will have 2 blue cars in the garage, as I just replaced my blue 2016 435 with a blue tesla model 3 performance edition.
Nice...love that Blue. You won't miss the vented seats....they are worthless. It's hers huh...like my wife's Macan S is hers. We are married men sir. Never forget that. It means HALF.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITEX View Post
Nice...love that Blue. You won't miss the vented seats....they are worthless. It's hers huh...like my wife's Macan S is hers. We are married men sir. Never forget that. It means HALF.
Haha, yeah we both drive both cars, but the tesla is "mine" and the X3 will be "hers". She is not currently working (she got laid off last year and we sort of decided she could stay at home since she had some carpal tunnel issues), so I drive both cars to work to split miles on them.

My commute to work is 70 miles round trip so this ensures we have somewhat equal miles on both cars. Only had the tesla a week and its like driving a go cart (like when you go to one of those go cart places like K1 speed or something).

Anyway, She is excited for it.. more excited than she was getting the X5 in fact.

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

BMW CCA #477341
Old 12-10-2018, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto:
Thanks to all of you providing feedback. I have a (hopefully) less subjective question regarding the X3 30i vs M40i.

From your experience, how well do the two models hold their CC or ACC settings on the highway? Does it hold the set speed reasonably well when encountering hills and rolling terrain? I realize sport/eco/comfort modes will have an effect, but I'm hoping one doesn't have to leave it in sport mode just to maintain a consistent highway cruising speed or ACC following distance behind another vehicle.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:52 PM

Thats actually a good question, I would like to hear the answer to. From what I read earlier about ACC with stop N go on the X3 (maybe the other board?) was that it sort of "ping ponged" in the lane back and forth instead of staying centered in the lane. Now that I think about it, I dont remember if that was the X3 or the new 5 series but it was one of those, both BMW products so probably behave similarly.

I ordered it anyway on for our X3 but am interested in the feedback on it as well.

BMW CCA #477341
Old 12-10-2018, 11:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 BMW X1
For me the difference is more like $11K with a minimally optioned M40i (Leather, Premium, HK) tallying $62K vs. $51K for a similarly configured 30i before negotiation. I'll probably opt for the 30i based on the positive comments above and the fact it's a lot cheaper. Just wish we had a better blue option, Phytonic is cool but I wish we could get Long Beach Blue as a standardly available color (have to special order). The Volvo XC60 I also was looking at has a totally cool blue called Bursting Blue as one of it's standard colors (requires RDesign trim). It's a bit brighter and more eye-catching. Thanks for all the comments.

Current:
2016 X1 xDrive 28i/Mineral Grey/Black
Premium/Driver Assistance/Nav Business
Previous:
2013 335is/Mineral White/Coral Red
2008 335i /Jet Black/Tan

Last edited by scbieber; 12-10-2018 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:27 PM
Certified Car Nut

Send a message via AIM to mwpepper
Mein Auto: 2008 E90 335i
For the 3.0 and how well it holds it's speed, as stated earlier in the thread, I had the N54 i6 in the 08 335i. surprisingly, this is holding its speed as well as the 335. I have not had it in the mountains or anything, but there is still enough torque and the transmission is smooth enough that either I never feel it, or it pulls the hills in high gear with having the bleed speed. Typical BMW experience.
'19 G01 X3 | Dark Graphite Metallic | X-Drive | Black Sensa-Tech | Drivers Assistance Package | Navigation | Convenience Package | 19" Wheels Style 692 | Heated Seats | Heated Steering Wheel | Apple Car Play
Old 12-11-2018, 06:22 PM
Uber Olive Brain

Mein Auto: 2018 X3 x30i, 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz3D View Post
From your experience, how well do the two models hold their CC or ACC settings on the highway?
(The two models should be the same, given identical options.)

If you spend any significant amount of time in stop-and-go traffic, the Active Cruise Control (ACC) will save your mind: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1488325. It's a must have for those people who live in that traffic.

The Lane Keeping Assistant, on the other hand, does ping-pong between the lines. However, some people think that it might have gotten better over time, although there's no real proof: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1560576
Old 12-11-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post
(The two models should be the same, given identical options.)

If you spend any significant amount of time in stop-and-go traffic, the Active Cruise Control (ACC) will save your mind: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1488325. It's a must have for those people who live in that traffic.

The Lane Keeping Assistant, on the other hand, does ping-pong between the lines. However, some people think that it might have gotten better over time, although there's no real proof: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1560576
Thanks for the links, I was not sure where I read the "ping ponging" comments. The lane keeping assist / Cruise control suite of options is something that I really like about the tesla model 3 I just got to replace my 435. It does hold the center of the lane very well. The other thing it does well is, you can see "what the car sees" on the big tablet it has. That goes a long way in making you aware of what the car sees in the cameras it has (and it has like 8 cameras around it).

I dont expect the X3 to perform like the tesla even though we got all the auto stuff on the X3 as well. If anyone is interested, when we get the X3 in january, I can come back and compare the two from a usability standpoint.

I hesitate to do that only because the second anyone says "tesla" on these boards, it normally turns into something other than a compare and contrast of drivability and into something else.... but if people are interested in an opinion of the two cruise control systems I would be happy to give impressions when I have both cars and have some seat time in them.

BMW CCA #477341
Old 12-11-2018, 06:50 PM
Uber Olive Brain

Well, I don't know how it compares to a Tesla, but the Active Cruise Control is awesome in stop-and-go traffic. It's not quite perfect, but it's very nice. Of course, you do have to be on your toes (e.g., 60MPH ACC is a Bad Idea when entering a tight cloverleaf turn).

I think many (most?) of us aren't impressed by BMW's lane keeping assistant (and the steering wheel "vibration" is virtually unnoticeable for many of us).

Edit: for Tesla vs BMW, see this: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1541574

Last edited by darrylo; 12-11-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post
Well, I don't know how it compares to a Tesla, but the Active Cruise Control is awesome in stop-and-go traffic. It's not quite perfect, but it's very nice. Of course, you do have to be on your toes (e.g., 60MPH ACC is a Bad Idea when entering a tight cloverleaf turn).

I think many (most?) of us aren't impressed by BMW's lane keeping assistant (and the steering wheel "vibration" is virtually unnoticeable for many of us).

Edit: for Tesla vs BMW, see this: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1541574
The thing about that is, that reveiw was in october I think. The system has been updated since then. Tesla rolls out updates like your smartphone gets updates which is unlike just about any other car manufacturer.

I am not 100% sure of when version 9 rolled out, because I just got my Model 3 in november... but I DO know that they turned on more of the already installed cameras and made significant changes to the system.

The BMW system will likely be what it is throughout the life of the car, while the tesla one will be updated regularly (for better, or worse, however one feels about that).

Anyway, I am excited to have it on my wifes car as well (back to BMW as I was not trying to derail this thread).

BMW CCA #477341
Old 12-11-2018, 07:20 PM
Uber Olive Brain

Oh, I've no doubt that Tesla's system will be better in the long run.

Tesla owners have come to expect periodic software updates. General BMW owners, not so much. Besides, BMW's bean counters try to squeeze and eliminate "unnecessary frills". Why would they waste money on "software upgrades" unless they're safety- or emissions-related? They have our money and "software upgrades" are just lost profit (well, BMW does seem to occasionally tweak the software and improve it, but the improvements are not easy to get). Unlike Tesla, BMW's also screwed by having constantly-changing hardware platforms (computer, instrument cluster, and probably sensors).
Old 12-12-2018, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW X3 xDrive30i
I got my Model 3 in June. The big software update (V9?) that occurred a couple months ago made a HUGE difference in quality of autopilot. The software updates are so cool. I got one last night but I haven't gotten a chance to look at the release notes to see what it happened. I do like being able to initiate the update from my phone now, instead of having to start it from the car.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 X3 M40i
Just an fyi, you can order the ACC without having to order the safety package that includes it, then you donít have to deal with Lane Keep Assist.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
2015 X5 xDrive35i (sold)
2015 X3 xDrive28i (sold)
Old 12-13-2018, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 X3 M40i
Go with the 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrdad View Post
I'm looking to lease one so not to concerned about value down the road, other than residual value. I've driven them both and they are both really nice, has anyone gotten a 30i that now wishes they had the m40i, or vice versa?
Well now after I've leased the m40i and have driven it for a few weeks I can probably lend some insight to my original question. My normal commute is along a 3 lane per side road with probably 7 stop lights over 10 miles, half or which I normally make. My normal speed is usually about 40-70mph and I drive relatively aggressively. At this point I honestly can say the 30i would have been just fine for me. With the m40i I find myself constantly covering the brake pedal to avoid the other drivers blocking lanes or dilly dallying around as they drive. Just my $.02.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: locally
Quote:
Well now after I've leased the m40i and have driven it for a few weeks I can probably lend some insight to my original question. My normal commute is along a 3 lane per side road with probably 7 stop lights over 10 miles, half or which I normally make. My normal speed is usually about 40-70mph and I drive relatively aggressively. At this point I honestly can say the 30i would have been just fine for me. With the m40i I find myself constantly covering the brake pedal to avoid the other drivers blocking lanes or dilly dallying around as they drive. Just my $.02.
Hey Dad, that's really down to earth advise you've given on the M40i & the 30i. Someone in the market should really take it to heart and think long & hard on it.

Joe
Old 12-13-2018, 02:59 PM
My M...not Hers

Quote:
At this point I honestly can say the 30i would have been just fine for me.
That's always the case. We should have bought the other one. Enjoy what you got...it's a special vehicle

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 G01 (2018 - current)
Today's Posts Search