To Run on Flat Tires or Not? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)

X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
The second generation X3 added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 03-19-2020, 05:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 BMW X3, 98 QX4
To Run on Flat Tires or Not?

I currently have Goodyear Eagles (Run on flat) on my F25 X3 and I need to change tires, thanks to the previous owner/Open Road BMW who cannot tell the difference between AWD and FWD. One tire, the drivers side, meters at 9/32 and the rest meter at 5/32. No driveline damage since caught early. Recommendation was to replace the 3 5/32 tires with Goodyear eagle ROF....but the price is around $1.2K....I've learned how expensive ROF tires are....lol. Or I can do regular tires like Pirelli Cinturato and replace all 4 tires....that comes to be around $1K. Shop recommend to stick with ROF and go with option 1 since price difference isn't much. What do you all think?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2020, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
The critical tread depth metric for damage to the xDrive is average front rolling diameter vs. average rear rolling diameter. Any difference in tread depths between tires will create a small, steady grind on the clutches in the xDrive's transfer case. They don't fix transfer cases, they just replace them for about $4k.

There are many different types of Goodyear Eagle's. My 535i came with Eagle LS2's and they were the worst tires I've ever owned. Switching to non-RFT's transformed the car.

You cheapest path would be to get the 9/32" tire shave down to 5/32". It that's not possible, Tire Rack will sell you a new tire and shave it down before sending it to you for $35.

If you go to non RFT's, you should have a spare. My hatred of RFT's and need for a spare stopped us from buying an F25. We waited for the G01, which offers non-RFT's and a spare tire as options.

By selecting a European spec' F25, I found a OE spare tire and wheels for an F35:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=36_1274

I don't know if that is available in the U.S. through BMW's parts operations.

Here's a company in the UK that sells a spare wheel for the F25 X3, and they ship to the U.S.

https://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/op...are_wheel_kits

This is similar to what comes on the G01. But, the rolling diameter is 2" less than the four other tires. I suspect (but don't know for sure) that the xDrive software can detect if the spare is installed, and then disengages the AWD to save the transfer clutches from being burned to a crisp. The G01 owner's manual doesn't warn about xDvive damage when using the spare for an extended distance, only that driving characteristics will change... whatever that means.

Bimmerzone.com sells a spare tire kit for F25's. But, the rolling diameter is about 0.6" less than the other four tires. If xDrive software can detect a 2" difference in rolling diameters and disengage AWD, it might not do so with a 0.6" difference in rolling diameters:

https://bimmerzone.com/products/bmw-...ncy-spare-tire

Getting a spare wheel, spare tire, jack kit, and tire bag will be a sizable expense, probably around $500. But, non-RFT's will be cheaper, ride better, and will last longer than similar RFT's. That spare tire would disrupt the cargo area, and the cargo area is one of the reasons to get an SUV in the first place.

If the G01 didn't come with a spare, we would have bought an Audi Q5, and sent a picture of it to BMW NA.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 03-19-2020 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4MC , Corrado G60
Non-runflats with a compressor/plug kit/needle nose pliers, unless you're incapable to use a plug kit. This should get you back on the road unless you have a very rare slice in the side of the tire or a large hole which the plug kit can't seal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2020, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 F31
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbeeguy View Post
I currently have Goodyear Eagles (Run on flat) on my F25 X3 and I need to change tires, thanks to the previous owner/Open Road BMW who cannot tell the difference between AWD and FWD. One tire, the drivers side, meters at 9/32 and the rest meter at 5/32. No driveline damage since caught early. Recommendation was to replace the 3 5/32 tires with Goodyear eagle ROF....but the price is around $1.2K....I've learned how expensive ROF tires are....lol. Or I can do regular tires like Pirelli Cinturato and replace all 4 tires....that comes to be around $1K. Shop recommend to stick with ROF and go with option 1 since price difference isn't much. What do you all think?
Thanks
Continental DWS 06

Retired:
2014 F31
2013 Q5 3.0T PP Sline
2013 WK2...HEMI
2011 E90 Sedan
2008 E70
2004 E46 Sedan
Old 03-19-2020, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: 07 BMW X3, 98 QX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
The critical tread depth metric for damage to the xDrive is average front rolling diameter vs. average rear rolling diameter. Any difference in tread depths between tires will create a small, steady grind on the clutches in the xDrive's transfer case. They don't fix transfer cases, they just replace them for about $4k.

There are many different types of Goodyear Eagle's. My 535i came with Eagle LS2's and they were the worst tires I've ever owned. Switching to non-RFT's transformed the car.

You cheapest path would be to get the 9/32" tire shave down to 5/32". It that's not possible, Tire Rack will sell you a new tire and shave it down before sending it to you for $35.

If you go to non RFT's, you should have a spare. My hatred of RFT's and need for a spare stopped us from buying an F25. We waited for the G01, which offers non-RFT's and a spare tire as options.

By selecting a European spec' F25, I found a OE spare tire and wheels for an F35:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=36_1274

I don't know if that is available in the U.S. through BMW's parts operations.

Here's a company in the UK that sells a spare wheel for the F25 X3, and they ship to the U.S.

https://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/op...are_wheel_kits

This is similar to what comes on the G01. But, the rolling diameter is 2" less than the four other tires. I suspect (but don't know for sure) that the xDrive software can detect if the spare is installed, and then disengages the AWD to save the transfer clutches from being burned to a crisp. The G01 owner's manual doesn't warn about xDvive damage when using the spare for an extended distance, only that driving characteristics will change... whatever that means.

Bimmerzone.com sells a spare tire kit for F25's. But, the rolling diameter is about 0.6" less than the other four tires. If xDrive software can detect a 2" difference in rolling diameters and disengage AWD, it might not do so with a 0.6" difference in rolling diameters:

https://bimmerzone.com/products/bmw-...ncy-spare-tire

Getting a spare wheel, spare tire, jack kit, and tire bag will be a sizable expense, probably around $500. But, non-RFT's will be cheaper, ride better, and will last longer than similar RFT's. That spare tire would disrupt the cargo area, and the cargo area is one of the reasons to get an SUV in the first place.

If the G01 didn't come with a spare, we would have bought an Audi Q5, and sent a picture of it to BMW NA.
Thanks for the detailed explanation! Fortunately, the tread depth differences have only been on the vehicle for less than a month...hasn't been driven much at all, and recently changed t-case fluid, so all good for that part
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Non-runflats with a compressor/plug kit/needle nose pliers, unless you're incapable to use a plug kit. This should get you back on the road unless you have a very rare slice in the side of the tire or a large hole which the plug kit can't seal.
Yeah, been doing this exactly for all my vehicles to date, and will continue with this one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scostuart View Post
Continental DWS 06
Getting this tire

Last edited by frisbeeguy; 03-19-2020 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 X3
Have 5K miles on Bridgestone DriveGuard run flats. Been happy with ride, using Bridgestone tires.
Since wife drives car, feel more comfortable with run flats.
2019 BMW R1250GSA
BMW F650GS

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search