2014 models Apple CarPlay - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: 428i
2014 models Apple CarPlay

Does anyone know when CarPlay will be able for 2014 Models? (Owning a 428i)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2014, 05:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i XDrive

Six months to a year after BMW announces it has decided to begin offering it. But it will only be offered on new cars. Since 2015s are already out, your chances are next to none of getting it on a 2014.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Polite Canuck; 09-25-2014 at 05:46 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:08 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2016 M3 SO ZCP
what is this?
My Drive Style

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2014, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 F82 M4
https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
what is this?
BMWCCA #495455
2017 F82 M4 ZCP
Old 09-25-2014, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i
looks really cool. i'm hoping this dramatically decreases the price of the in car navigation since you can now use the iphone nav on your screen. bmw navi is nice looking but not worth $2K
Old 09-25-2014, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 435i M-Sport
Can anyone with a 2015 confirm CarPlay works?
Old 09-25-2014, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post
Can anyone with a 2015 confirm CarPlay works?
I don't think it's available in any 2015 models yet.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 435i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin42 View Post
I don't think it's available in any 2015 models yet.
...and how awesome is that?!?!?!
Old 09-25-2014, 10:43 AM

Does anyone know whether Carplay capability could be added via an iDrive software update, or are we going to have to wait for LCI and new hardware?
Old 09-25-2014, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
looks really cool. i'm hoping this dramatically decreases the price of the in car navigation since you can now use the iphone nav on your screen. bmw navi is nice looking but not worth $2K
Oh, you know BMW will find some way to rip you off and make you pay for Nav... they'll package something essential with your whiz bang toy. Something like "advanced driver's package":

- Carplay
- Nav
- Power Steering

...and they'll do that as long as possible. (like they did with bluetooth music streaming - my wife's VW had it standard for a couple of years before bmw made it standard - actually, i'm not sure if they have)

Old 09-25-2014, 12:56 PM

Carplay has a requirement for both hardware and software components. Since iDrive is not a touchscreen, I don't see how it could be integrated into a current BMW with just a software update. Furthermore, BMW cannot just throw carplay into the F30 because the current screen is positioned too far from the driver for touch capability. So, either BMW will wait for the next generation 3, or attempt to re-position the screen for the 2016 LCI. There are also far bigger issues with respect to integration of Carplay into BMW's system, the fact that BMW has spent millions on developing it (whether you like the system or not), and the impact of BMW replacing a proprietary (read: exclusive) system replaced by a system you can also find in say a Civic.

Audi on the other hand has already announced it will offer Carplay in 2015 and that might be because the new A4 (A5 as well?) is due to be released next year and Audi has already factored in how to incorporate the system in the next generation.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polite Canuck View Post
Carplay has a requirement for both hardware and software components. Since iDrive is not a touchscreen, I don't see how it could be integrated into a current BMW with just a software update. Furthermore, BMW cannot just throw carplay into the F30 because the current screen is positioned too far from the driver for touch capability. So, either BMW will wait for the next generation 3, or attempt to re-position the screen for the 2016 LCI. There are also far bigger issues with respect to integration of Carplay into BMW's system, the fact that BMW has spent millions on developing it (whether you like the system or not), and the impact of BMW replacing a proprietary (read: exclusive) system replaced by a system you can also find in say a Civic.

Audi on the other hand has already announced it will offer Carplay in 2015 and that might be because the new A4 (A5 as well?) is due to be released next year and Audi has already factored in how to incorporate the system in the next generation.
If I read all the information on Carplay correctly it does not require a touch screen. Apple's advertisement even appears to show the new Mercedes C-Class interior with their "knob." This suggests that it may be possible for a software only requirement.

2018 //M3 | Black Sapphire | Black Merino | Competition | Executive | Driver Ass | CarPlay | DCT |

2014 328 M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Black Dakota | Premium | Lighting | Cold Weather | Driver Ass | Driver Ass Plus | HK Sound | Dynamic Handling | Tech Pkg | Alarm |
Old 09-25-2014, 03:03 PM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
In case you (like me) are wondering what CarPlay does ...

https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW MPPK w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taint fair View Post
If I read all the information on Carplay correctly it does not require a touch screen. Apple's advertisement even appears to show the new Mercedes C-Class interior with their "knob." This suggests that it may be possible for a software only requirement.

Yea. I forgot about the new C-class and its touchpad and knob interface. But it would be a lost opportunity to offer it without touch when it is clearly optimized for that interface. Even if BMW could offer it as a software only solution, it is unlikely to be offered for vehicles that have already been sold.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M Sport 335i
There was a story in the news this week mentioning the Apple was going to delay CarPlay... Maybe a web search will find it?

I subscribe to the theory that CarPlay isn't like to be a solution for those looking to avoid the Tech Package... CarPlay implementation is probably going to require it.

Last edited by glennQNYC; 09-25-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:26 PM
Thread Necromancer

Mein Auto: 2018 540i M Sport
The new idrive controller has touch built in. They could use that with the apple software.

I learned it takes Germans 8 weeks to make a baby.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW Z4 28i M Sport
Quote:
If you're counting on CarPlay to make it cheaper for you to have nav in your car than don't hold your breath. Manufacturers are gonna make you buy their Nav just for you to be able to get CarPlay.

Hyundai, on their 2015 Sonata, is going to require customers to buy their navigation package just to have the ability to have CarPlay. I would bet that if a mainstream brand is doing this, a luxury brand is going to make you pay more (above the cost of the nav) to get CarPlay.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatonZ26 View Post
If you're counting on CarPlay to make it cheaper for you to have nav in your car than don't hold your breath. Manufacturers are gonna make you buy their Nav just for you to be able to get CarPlay.

Hyundai, on their 2015 Sonata, is going to require customers to buy their navigation package just to have the ability to have CarPlay. I would bet that if a mainstream brand is doing this, a luxury brand is going to make you pay more (above the cost of the nav) to get CarPlay.

Considering that "enhanced Bluetooth" is 500 for what is just a few lines of code and no hardware (that I know of), this is a very safe bet.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatonZ26 View Post

not really counting on making nav cheaper but maybe to where i wouldnt have to get nav at all. why pay $2K for a crappy system (multiple issues with routing) when i can just use google maps or apple maps for free? superior routing and they are constantly updated so you never have old maps
Old 09-26-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
not really counting on making nav cheaper but maybe to where i wouldnt have to get nav at all. why pay $2K for a crappy system (multiple issues with routing) when i can just use google maps or apple maps for free? superior routing and they are constantly updated so you never have old maps
I can't imagine BMW ever offering that though. They'll almost surely make any CarPlay implementation part of a larger Technology Package that costs the same (or more) ~$3000... As with now, it will be bundled with other stuff, like a larger screen, HUD, etc.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin42 View Post
I can't imagine BMW ever offering that though. They'll almost surely make any CarPlay implementation part of a larger Technology Package that costs the same (or more) ~$3000... As with now, it will be bundled with other stuff, like a larger screen, HUD, etc.
You're probabky right. Guess we have to wait and see
Old 09-26-2014, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 528i

I agree. It won't be standard until 2 years after every other manufacturer makes it stabdard. So maybe by 2022...

Until then I could see this being something they charge $500 for over and above the nav or tech package

Last edited by bmw325; 09-26-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:01 AM

Mein Auto: 14 x335i, 12 S4
Carplay

Just added a Pioneer 4000NEX HeadUnit (supports Carplay) to my 06 Ram 2500....my truck went from Media Garbage to surpassing my S4 Audi MMI / x3 LCI iDrive....it's a game changer and it's in it's infancy and will only get better.

- Truck now has access to iPhone music (lightening and BT Stream) - and it's native iPhone music features like genius, iTunes radio,....easier to use than the rotator knobs and much prettier vs. orange text

- Truck now has Nav via apple maps (granted dependent upon cell connection) - carplay specific improvement in that it pulls address from texts and emails for quick access.

- Messages - notify with a banner like iOS, reads and takes voice response to texts - pretty awesome

- Calendar notifications pop up - you only get header info, not details - but still nice if on the way to work and have a call scheduled

- Phone Audio much better quality than the standard dodge audio (important because truck is a diesel and noisy vs. normal cars)

- Siri - i hate it on my phone, seems better in CarPlay - aka "play metallica" - starts music and shuffles thru their songs

- Display - looks like classic iOS - simple and easy

So overall it's a huge improvement (especially for my truck which didn't have much), but i also think it's better than my 2 modern german cars

FYI, the Pioneer Head Unit is reasonable but of course the screen isn't as nice as the iPhone itself, and you also have both Carplay or Pioneer Apps Mode - which require different cable connections - so it's not perfect, but the CarPlay aspect is pretty awesome and that's what we'll all get at some point in the future (in our next new car)

CarPlay needs more apps and apple has been really restrictive apparently - i could use a weather app and would like WAZE, Google Maps, Browser (parked of course),...

Also, you can still use your phone screen while connected

and i was / am a fan of the latest mmi / idrive - but like most things apple competes in they're very hard to beat!

12 S4 Prestige, 06 Ram 2500, KTM 990/450/350
Old 01-02-2015, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: Acura
That's the one thing about Car Play, only certain apps. are supported.

Certainly it won't project Google Maps app from your iPhone to the screen on the dash.

Google is doing something similar, called Android Auto I believe.

I think one car company announced their screen with support both Car Play and Android Auto.

Yeah I tend to believe most luxury car makers won't sell Car Play a la carte. You will have to get Nav with it probably.

I think also the car makers will want to continue developing their in-car electronics systems and the UI/UX (no matter how horrible) because they want a hedge in case Car Play and Android Auto becomes too popular and defines the UX for electronics in their cars.

To a certain extent they are yielding control by signing on because they supposedly have no say on which apps. are supported. So if they had cut their own deal with Pandora say, there's no guarantee that Pandora will set up when someone puts the in car electronics in Car Play mode.

So they'll continue to work on things like deals for mobile data, which requires subscribing to a separate data plan for your car, when all you really need is to use your phone and cast it on the bigger screen on dash, with some steering wheel mounted controls and microphone on the visor for Siri or hands free.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2014, 428i coupe, carplay

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search