Brought a 2010 528i xdrive with around 266k on the odometer for $400 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 07-24-2017, 05:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2018 M550i, 2011 760i
Brought a 2010 528i xdrive with around 266k on the odometer for $400

Brought a 2010 528i xdrive with around 266k on the odometer for $400 at auction. Planning on selling to my friend for car cost and parts who is in need of another car. I need some of your thoughts on it.
Frist off this isnít my first BMW, as of right now I drive a 2013 550i xdrive, but this is my first time buying a e60 with this amount of millage. Frist off I do some car buying and reselling on the side, less now than in the past. Iím 28 and Iíve done for it for almost 11 years now.
Frist off why did buy it? Well first off I had to attend a sell that a family friend just started, did ok for being his first car dealer auction. There was a lot of dealer junk, some repos, and maybe some off leases. I didnít want to be rude and not buy something. I saw coming down a lane this white 5 series coming down the lane with some paint chips and missing the driver side door handle. Saw the millage written on the windshield and thought wow that looks pretty good and sounds good as well. Took a look on the inside though the window just to see the interior. When it went for bidding they started it at $1000, not one bid on it, than they dropped it too 800, than to 400. That was when I raised my hand to bid on it, no one decided to outbid me. No one really seemed to care. Iím kind of shock that one of the cheap car dealerships didnít bid on it. Didnít get charge a fee, so it just a flat $400.
Turns out it was a Bank Repo, but it was a turn in. Meaning the person turned in the car instead of it getting repossessed.
After I got home with it, talked to a good friend of mine who lives in Florida who just brought a house. He told me is in need of another car to be used as a secondly car due to only having one as of right now and canít afford a new car right now. Itís true that an e60 many not be an ideal for this and a super high millage more so.
Now howís the shape of the car. Very good despite some of the problem it has. Frist off does not even feel like it has over 200k mi on it, If I didnít see mileage and someone told me it had around 80k on it I would believe them. Iíve driven high millage cars before with 100k less and they feel high millage cars. This e60 doesnít feel like it and I very impressed that it has held up. Another shocker with it being 2 owner car(now 3rd owner) that pretty much complete maintenance record for a car like this with it being job recipes all in order in the glove box. It ranges from 40k when a 2nd owner took ownership right to the last oil change ago before getting repoed, some things are missing from it. Gives a decent ideal work which was done to it.

What are the current problems with the car?
1. Tires are worn in need of replacement soon. Easy fix, which I picked up 4 General AltiMAX RT43 for $53 each.
2. Codes are on and off with the steering angel sensor. From What I understand I have to ether replace it or take it off and clean it.
3. Diver side door Handel is missing, got a $5 boneyard one which I have to paint white from a 08.
4. Driver side head rest broke or was broken when I moved the car. Got both sides from a 08 for $15 bucks, which are different. But looks like they will fit with no problem, could be wrong. Along with some other odds and ends.
Now with looking it over with the records and with the ďSo You Just Bought an E60 PDFĒ of what it needs or could need.

Motor Oil Change: needs it.
Brake Fluid Flush: done 3 years ago: needs it.
Coolant Flush: done 3 years ago: needs it.
Power Steering Flush: done 3 years ago: needs it.
Transmission fluid: 90,000 on the current fluid, needs replacement.
Plugs: Have around 100k on them. Need of replacement, Iím going to look at them before replacing them.
Brakes: have some life on them, but will need replacement within 5k about.
Battery: Close to 6 years old, judging from AutoZone recipe.
Serpentine Belt: looks good, but just going to replace just to be safe.
Shocks/Strut: were done at 210k. They look and feel good.
Tie Rods: See nothing about them being replace, might be safe and just replace them.
Control Arms and Bushings look good.
Alternator: was changed at about 100k.
Fuel system: nothing seem to have been done on it, not even a fuel fitter.

There much more I could list, but other than that the car drives well.

With all of that being said, I wouldnít mind any feedback or thoughts on this. I can post photos of the car, I donít mind. I can keep you updated with what I used and spent on the car, going to have to use mostly aftermarket to keep the cost down. I wouldnít mind any preventive maintenance suggestions, like one of my friends made that I should just replace the coils. I can get the Delphi ones pretty cheap. Also keep in mind this will be handed off to someone who has very little DIY skills car wise and only has some idea what a BMW is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2017, 10:21 PM

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2077.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	628185

I decided to post a pick of it(as brought), Decided to change fuel fitter on it. That was dirty, grimy, and high pressure fuel mess. Turn out it was cracked and it was being held together by grim. When I started to take of the connection, that's when it cracked into two pieces.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:34 PM
5 series addict

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi 6MT
Looks good for a 260k mile car! Mine is approaching 170k (I have a 2007 530xi) and It feels the same as an E60s I've driven with 40-60k miles. Remarkable how well these things hold up.

For the brakes I'd recommend getting Duralast brand pads from Autzone. They have a life time warranty, so if you keep the receipt and the old pads with the box, you can return them to autozone and get another set for free (idk how they make money from that business model). They aren't quite as good as stock, and emit a decent bit of dust (as the stocks do) but they are fine for normal use and an economical option for your buddy if he's on a tight budget with maintaining the car. I had these pads on my Volkswagen Golf and they did the job just fine.

Also, has the transfer case fluid been changed recently?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2017, 11:44 PM

I'm going to be doing some body work to it soon,I got a can of paint for the new door handle. My thoughts are why waste it and I was plaining touching up the front bumper. I may not be a daily E60 driver, but very I'm impressed how well they hold up. Brakes I already picked up a day ago. I was able to get a full set of AC Delco Brakes on a wholesale clearance sale for 60 bucks, 4 brake rotors and pads. Pretty much 20 cents on the dollar about and I've had pretty good luck using the AC Delco parts. Got a battery for 75 and a 5 serpentine belt and some other odds and ends. Ac Delco is known for doing big blow outs twice a year. Sale like that come in handy for doing a budget repair job. I'm hoping to have everything done at about $1500 with some preventive maintenance, that's the goal. Transfer case fluid been has not been changed recently and that's on the do list.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:02 AM
5 series addict

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi 6MT
Sounds like a pretty good deal Post some pics of the bumper touch up when you get around to it, I'm thinking of taking on a similar project myself.

Sent from my slouch beanie using Tapatalk

2007 530xi Silber Grau Metallic 6MT "Effy Stonem"
Sport pkg|Cold Weather pkg|Premium pkg|Black Dakota Leather|HK Logic7|Dynamic Xenon

OEM+Build in progress
ZHP shift knob, CableJive, LED plate bulbs & projector puddle lights, smoked reflectors, SAF delete, Akebono Euro Ceramic, 18" AC Schnitzer Type III
Old 07-28-2017, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: e46
Lol too many first offs!
Old 07-28-2017, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
No major engine or transmission issues? Heck a purchase if the answer is no. Hard to imagine that mileage is not mostly highway at nearly 37,000 per year or over 100 miles every single day.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19birel View Post
Sounds like a pretty good deal Post some pics of the bumper touch up when you get around to it, I'm thinking of taking on a similar project myself.

Sent from my slouch beanie using Tapatalk
Body work is last on the list, but I'm going to get around to it. I think I'm going to have to do a blend on the whole front, might be able to do some small blends on the bumper.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i; 2007 328 xit
You can get a good deal on these if you're DIY.

They're pretty longer than reliable, which is (counter-intuitively) good, since a DIY is the only economic way to bring it back to reliable. Everyone else gets scared off. Fix the stuff you listed and you get a pretty decent car for tolerable $$.

Only real tarpit is the tranny. If it holds up, all is well. If is craps out, life sucks. Even so, if it wasn't abused, a rebuilt mechatronics for $1K will usually bring it back.

Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

2007 328xiT
2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 15+ Years

Last edited by banglenot; 07-28-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
Lol too many first offs!
Very true, but I haven't been able to find any other decent budget autos that didn't have any major problems. That's a pretty much a problem with many cheap car general and it's been a money pit even with on sale components.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bixaman View Post
No major engine or transmission issues? Heck a purchase if the answer is no. Hard to imagine that mileage is not mostly highway at nearly 37,000 per year or over 100 miles every single day.
From what I can tell both seem to be solid.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: 09 750 li
Seems like a sweet deal
Old 07-28-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglenot View Post
You can get a good deal on these if you're DIY.

They're pretty longer than reliable, which is (counter-intuitively) good, since a DIY is the only economic way to bring it back to reliable. Everyone else gets scared off. Fix the stuff you listed and you get a pretty decent car for tolerable $$.

Only real tarpit is the tranny. If it holds up, all is well. If is craps out, life sucks. Even so, if it wasn't abused, a rebuilt mechatronics for $1K will usually bring it back.

Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.
Same can be said about many DIY deals at auction, when it comes to German luxury many get scared off. This is only really affordable as a DIY project.

If the tranny craps out, that would be more than just a set back.

I was able to get all of the Tie Rods ends inner and outer moog for under $100(another sale) Plugs it needs, I was able to get an oem bosch set for $25. I got Delphi coils for around 32 bucks for all 6, if I went with bosch that would have been over 100 bucks. If I went to one place for parts I would be over 2k now and as of right now I'm still under $1500.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i; 2007 328 xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenzeta View Post
Same can be said about many DIY deals at auction, when it comes to German luxury many get scared off. This is only really affordable as a DIY project.

If the tranny craps out, that would be more than just a set back.

I was able to get all of the Tie Rods ends inner and outer moog for under $100(another sale) Plugs it needs, I was able to get an oem bosch set for $25. I got Delphi coils for around 32 bucks for all 6, if I went with bosch that would have been over 100 bucks. If I went to one place for parts I would be over 2k now and as of right now I'm still under $1500.
Cool.

2007 328xiT
2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 15+ Years
Old 07-29-2017, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530Xi
I have been following this thread with interest. I did some looking into wholesale prices on the car and given the milage and condition as you described it , it might have been worth less than $1500- $2000.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 530i, 2012 VW Passat
Well, no matter what, a couple of parts off of the car are worth more than you paid for it! Headlights, tail lights, would possibly be worth a grand or more. I'm surprised that it sold for $400.00! Great score for you!
Old 07-29-2017, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit188 View Post
Well, no matter what, a couple of parts off of the car are worth more than you paid for it! Headlights, tail lights, would possibly be worth a grand or more. I'm surprised that it sold for $400.00! Great score for you!
Yup. Heck of deal, all things considered. I am surprised a wrecker didn't scoop it up but they tend to frequent salvage auctions, I suppose.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmabmw View Post
I have been following this thread with interest. I did some looking into wholesale prices on the car and given the milage and condition as you described it , it might have been worth less than $1500- $2000.
I learned form going to many auctions that whole sale prices are all over the place. From me going to auctions for going to many small to big sales. For selling stuff like this before, I think the car was going to got for around $1000 bucks, could have went for 1500 with a small biding war, I doubt it. I have seen stuff like this before, but not with a e60.

But were or when I would see it going for $1500- $2000. I would think you would see it doing winter time when a lot of cheap car dealers(under 5k dealers/buyer beware) stock up on cheap 4x4's and do next to nothing to them. Which raises the prices at auction on those type of cars and with the xdrive being part of that group. meaning in this case a door handle that would most likely being mismatch color wise and the one tire that was really bad would mostly be replaced with an used tire. Might get an oil change or fluid top up. That would go to the front of the lot from anywhere form 3 to 4k to make a quick buck. They would find some way too make the abs light disappear, if they could they would paint it out if it was just on a cluster gauge. Just to make a quick buck.

A dealer retail price book wise would within 5 to 6k. The problem is the revamp cost could be from anywhere from $1000 with many corners cuts to over 2k due to many dealers don't do there own work. Ether they hire someone or have a shop that gives them a cheaper labor rate. The problem is I can see is trying to sell it for book price, I think very few ppl would buy a car with over 200k for 5k or 6k. A salesman at a big dealer I know,he thinks he could get 4k with all the work I'm doing to it on a lot. It would take awhile and if that person needs to take a small loan(good luck trying to get one with a high millage car). He told me his boss would tell him to send it to the local junkyard . He did tell me they had sent cars off under 10 year old car with super high millage that were traded in to the yard before.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit188 View Post
That's very true(looking at some eBay prices), it's a shame to do that to a running car. Cheapest place for headlight and parts in general like that, is a pull it off yourself yard. There's a good number of e60 in junkyards. I did thought about it, till I heard my friend needing a 2nd car. I though this could work or end really bad. Only time will tell. Headlights are fogy, but that's an easy fix. One has a small crack, easy fix.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmabmw View Post
Yup. Heck of deal, all things considered. I am surprised a wrecker didn't scoop it up but they tend to frequent salvage auctions, I suppose.
That's very true because, but they do buy some stuff at dealer auctions. Also many insurance companies sell right too junkyard/boneyards.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglenot View Post
Cool.
I popped the tranny pan and it doesn't look bad. The fluid is cleaner than I though it would have been. Did the little bit of engine work it needed and fluid change as well. The front passenger side wheel bearings is a little noisy, tire wheel(old tire) and rotor wheel shows as a indicator as well on that side. I'm going to change it along with the other side just to be safe.

Last edited by stephenzeta; 08-25-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 E61
great find! If you can be all in for under $2k, that's pretty solid. nicely done.

just curious - some of the parts prices you have mentioned seem extremely low - even considering the sale. do you have wholesaler access to parts or something?
Old 08-01-2017, 04:22 PM

I don't mind telling you.

Rockauto 20% code, most dealers can get(not on all items)

Ac Delco wholesale distributor/Chevy dealer: treats me very well. Passes sales on to small dealers and shops.

Local Napa: I get the dealer/shop discount which is all over the place. A lot of there name parts it doesn't pay to buy from them. NAPA brand can come very cheap or if u you need the part and it's the only one in town it's cheaper than retail. Like the A/Trans Filter Kit is 169 online retail, my price is 110. I got the BECK/ARNLEY for $50, rock auto price for that is 90(20% off $72). There aftermarket parts on not competitive full retail. But I was able to get an napa air filter for 7 bucks, which retails for more for the MANN. I know owner and I'm able to get really good deals on aging inventory.

A and A: local auto part chain which pretty is around rock auto price on most items or cheaper even. I have the shop discount which helps and I really know the manger well. Very good in giving aging inventory deals. Like a BECK/ARNLEY A/Trans Filter Kit for $50, oem plugs $25 bucks. Which the plugs they had on the self for almost 10 years. They talked me into the Delphi coils for preventive maintenance, if I didn't get a good deal on them I would have most likely keep the old ones on. The Moog tie-rods ends inner and outer/ both sides were an on-going sell item were about rock auto prices without the 20% off.

There's other places as well and I know a fair number of tire wholesalers. In this case brought an on-sale tire. If not I would have spent like $89 on each on firestones. It comes down to having a shop discount and shopping around. I would have put cheaper parts on the car, like DURA-GO or CENTRIC rotors as an example and done less preventive maintenance if it wasn't for certain sales . Also keep in mind there many cars that get traded that no longer pays even with DIY jobs that get fixed and are for sale on dealer lots.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:34 PM

[Click image for larger version

Name:	img 0239.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	636433

Well it doesn't look like a high millage car in the inside anymore, does have some stuff from a wreaked 528i from a boneyard. Interiors was in good shape to begin with, just needed some work. I did had to dye over a stain in the rear floor, I was able to get some of it out. The headrest are from an older year and as of right now are place holders(better than no headrests and pretty much get all the codes to do with active headrests ). Still on the look out for a seat of active headrests which are standard on 10's. Next I move onto body work and I have to fix a sunroof leak.

Click image for larger version

Name:	img 0240.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	636441
Old 08-23-2017, 12:44 AM

Mein Auto: E61
Sounds like a very nice car!
Well kept high mileage cars are underrated in my opinion. I've owned a 180k 525xiT for 4 months now, driven about 8k miles, spent about 200 dollars in parts and it still runs great.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
528i, e60, high mileage, xdrive

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search