Part clarification - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328xi GT
Part clarification

I'm trying to clarify which side a part fits on a front bumper.
Looking on either Real OEM or BMW Parts the part I'm interested in states Left or Right.
How does that correlate to Drive side Passenger side?

I would think parts are designated from the drivers seat perspective but BMW is strange sometimes with other things.
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2018, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i MT
It is referenced from the driver's point of view as you mentioned. So driver side is left side.
1998 BMW 528i MT @ 231k //sold
1997 Saab 9000 //sold
Old 01-08-2018, 02:21 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our BMW View Post
I'm trying to clarify which side a part fits on a front bumper.
Looking on either Real OEM or BMW Parts the part I'm interested in states Left or Right.
How does that correlate to Drive side Passenger side?

I would think parts are designated from the drivers seat perspective but BMW is strange sometimes with other things.
Parts on all cars are referenced from which is the front and rear end of the car. Looking towards the front, the left is on your left, right on the other side.

It is necessary to use that orientation rather than "drivers" side, as on RHD cars (notice that the R is Right) in UK and other left-drive countries are on the right, not the left.

You never refers to things in the driver's compartment (or cabin or trunk) are references when standing at the front of the car looking aft. This is just like in boats with port and starboard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2018, 02:44 PM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Parts on all cars are referenced from which is the front and rear end of the car. Looking towards the front, the left is on your left, right on the other side.

It is necessary to use that orientation rather than "drivers" side, as on RHD cars (notice that the R is Right) in UK and other left-drive countries are on the right, not the left.

You never refers to things in the driver's compartment (or cabin or trunk) are references when standing at the front of the car looking aft. This is just like in boats with port and starboard.
Clear as mud.

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW MPPK w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: '74 tii / E28s / '03 530i
And you'll find that most (if not all) times, left-sided parts (driver's side in USA) end in an odd number & right side end in an even number.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search