Sunroof Issue Question - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-02-2018, 05:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 BMW X3, 98 QX4
Sunroof Issue Question

Hello everyone!

It was a nice sunny day outside, so I decided to work on the Project X3 . The sunshade vent mode does not work (the sunshade does not split to reveal the mesh grill), so I am currently working on fixing that with the sunshade rebuild kit. The second issue: the wind deflector sometimes cause the glass to "bounce back" after closing the glass, so I'd have to hold the deflector down and slowly push the glass forward until it is able to close properly... (I read the solution is to slightly bend the wind deflector arm: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=771451). I noticed as I removed the front glass, there are cracks/fractures on certain plastic components...primarily for the front glass....the rear mechanisms for tilting the rear glass are fine. The front and rear glass mechanisms operate like normal. Should I replace the mechanisms shown in the pictures, or should I leave them as is...if those cracks are normal? I'm assuming they're not normal...seems like fatigue over time when the vehicle is left outside under sunlight. Also if I should replace them, can you provide the links/part #'s (I don't mind ebay parts as well). I attached all pictures below. If any more pictures are needed, let me know

Last edited by frisbeeguy; 05-02-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2018, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: bmw++many
start with post 5 then fan out

>looks like all the kits are needed ...also ....good to stash a large piece of 6mil ish plastic sheet and some painters tape to get you out of the rain if the roof fails open

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...79#post9822279
Old 05-02-2018, 06:00 PM

kits ...shopping

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...XIKdAhGg%2c%2c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2018, 06:02 PM

other good links ...covers some liner swaps too

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...99#post9243499
Old 05-02-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampX3 View Post
>looks like all the kits are needed ...also ....good to stash a large piece of 6mil ish plastic sheet and some painters tape to get you out of the rain if the roof fails open

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...79#post9822279
LOL. I was hoping for an easy fix Assuming that I need this kit: https://parts.bmwofstratham.com/p/BM...BoCW0oQAvD_BwE (The $$$ ), and this one for the shade: https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/194...BoCC6YQAvD_BwE
Any reason why I would also need the rear kit? This one: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/54103454098/ If the parts for the rear glass are fine, then can I just use those existing pieces?

Last edited by frisbeeguy; 05-02-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 2.8i F25 N52
You should also replace the surround seal, the seal between glass, as well as the felt strip. I don't think these are in the kit. I recently resealed mine and it makes a world of difference. Use RealOEM to find the part numbers, and newTIS.info to learn how to repair. Shop the part numbers online, I found the best deal on one of the seals on Amazon. Clean the drains located in the drivers side corners,

Adjusting the glass pieces and re-initializing the sun roof after your repairs are complete.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:06 AM

Mein Auto: 04' X3 3.0i
or...
close the sunroof, adjust manually with hex tool the alignment, pull the fuse
Old 05-03-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknmy View Post
or...
close the sunroof, adjust manually with hex tool the alignment, pull the fuse
For this vehicle to be "fun," for me everything has to be in proper working order. That means the sunroof too since that is one of the highlights of the X3.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolShirtDude View Post
You should also replace the surround seal, the seal between glass, as well as the felt strip. I don't think these are in the kit. I recently resealed mine and it makes a world of difference. Use RealOEM to find the part numbers, and newTIS.info to learn how to repair. Shop the part numbers online, I found the best deal on one of the seals on Amazon. Clean the drains located in the drivers side corners,

Adjusting the glass pieces and re-initializing the sun roof after your repairs are complete.
Yeah, they're not in the kits. newTIS is a great resource plus there's this video:
Got the part numbers from realoem for the seals+felt. Now to save up and buy each kit one at a time...LOL...this is going to be the biggest expenditure on this vehicle for parts.

Last edited by frisbeeguy; 05-03-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampX3 View Post
>wouldn't take the chance on 11 year old plastic ....if the budget allows ...go for the full monty
Gotcha. Makes sense....especially since it looks like the previous owner(s) used the sunroof a lot.....or did not, I can't tell.
Edit: Checked the rear portion. Same stress cracks, so it also needs replacement. However, there's little to no debris in the drain channels and drains are clear...there were like 2 small leaves only....maybe the sunroof was just rarely opened and the lube dried up over time? If so that would be awkward since this was a BMW dealer only serviced vehicle....lol.

Last edited by frisbeeguy; 05-03-2018 at 01:38 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search