For those of you who Installed the AVIN Unit - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-15-2019, 11:15 AM
frisbeeguy's Avatar
frisbeeguy frisbeeguy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 458
Mein Auto: 07 BMW X3, 98 QX4
For those of you who Installed the AVIN Unit

Quick question,

I do have the OEM aux jack (it's standard on 07 X3), but I noticed that there's no sound when I just connect the harness as-is. I did try swapping the aux plug like seen in a E83 install video on youtube, but still same results. I verified that the OEM aux jack does work and audio comes out of the 3.5mm jack like in the picture. Did you all just connect a 3.5mm audio cable to the aux jack to get sound? (or a similar idea like BMW plug to 3.5mm which is what i'm gonna do most likely)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 07-30-2019, 09:32 PM
FireFly1 FireFly1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9
Mein Auto:
Interesting as I couldn't get my 2005 X3 to work with the AVIN product, its pretty intuitive as far as the touch screen and car play but no matter what we have tried, I can't get audio from the AVIN unit to the X3 Radio and it doesn't see the "AUX Mode" when you hit the mode button. Ironically my local BMW dealership said they would look at it for free because they where intrigued but the after market device that looks similar to what's in their newer vehicles. Regardless the so called plug and play video if you have an issue, isn't fun to deal with! LOL The only other way to make it work is to buy a less expensive head unit with rear Aux on it and install it and then loop the AVIN product through the new radio. Hopefully the dealership can shed some light on this..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-31-2019, 06:32 AM
frisbeeguy's Avatar
frisbeeguy frisbeeguy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 458
Mein Auto: 07 BMW X3, 98 QX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly1 View Post
Interesting as I couldn't get my 2005 X3 to work with the AVIN product, its pretty intuitive as far as the touch screen and car play but no matter what we have tried, I can't get audio from the AVIN unit to the X3 Radio and it doesn't see the "AUX Mode" when you hit the mode button. Ironically my local BMW dealership said they would look at it for free because they where intrigued but the after market device that looks similar to what's in their newer vehicles. Regardless the so called plug and play video if you have an issue, isn't fun to deal with! LOL The only other way to make it work is to buy a less expensive head unit with rear Aux on it and install it and then loop the AVIN product through the new radio. Hopefully the dealership can shed some light on this..
Ty for replying...lol. Finished installing it...pic here:https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...269608&page=24
USB ports in center console....Unit works perfectly...cable management/figuring out each wire, and modifying the main cable/routing all cables took the most time. I did end up re-wrapping the entire harness/cutting some wires to make room in the dash. (it's just a generic harness that most aftermarket units come with, so there are some useless wires...for me it was mostly on the B plug Aux side. It's also easier to leave the vehicle battery connected and just diagnose issues that way.
Here's the instructions for installing AUX: http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3..._E83_85_86.pdf

Basically you'll need to buy this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and swap out the B plug aux with this. Then you'll need to connect the "audio out" part of the main cable to the new cable. For that you'll need a "lossless" 3.5mm cable...the one they gave in the box is cheap quality, so get this instead: https://www.amazon.com/DuKabel-Lossl...-1-spons&psc=1

If you have BMW phone, then you'll need to de-pin the wires on your old B-plug and re-pin them to the new connector. Then turn on the radio, connect that 3.5mm jack to your iphone/audio source and have music playing....try to switch the mode to aux. If it does not work, then your head-unit needs a software update. See this thread: https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=443508

But it looks like dealers don't update the units anymore? So you'll need to get a newer head-unit then...I'd just get one from a u pick and pull salvage yard...only $10.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 08-01-2019, 08:18 AM
FireFly1 FireFly1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9
Mein Auto:
Thank you for the info and input, much appreciated! I got frustrated and took it to a professional installer I know, and he got more frustrated than I, as I think my whole issue is the Aux on my stock radio is kaput! Nada, no dice. LOL So I basically replace it with a newer one and make sure it has these features, or I slap in another head unit in place of it to make the display stuff work.

So basically the the cable that AVIN supplies won't work? Or do I just need a newer head unit from BMW that I can find online via Ebay. Confusing as hell, they make it seem like a plug and play but for BMW to leave out the use of a Aux plug is ridiculous, this was at the height of the iPod! LOL

Unit is installed, looks great but still no audio.... heck I could get a cheap head unit from Kenwood and or Pioneer with a rear Aux port on back and just do it that way as well. This is a project car, got it from a mother-in-law that pasted basically bought it to help pay for Funeral. Kid will have it next, even though it has 145K on it, it was well cared for. Sounds like I might have a radio that didn't have an Aux and as you stated I might need a newer head unit.

Last edited by FireFly1; 08-01-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-01-2019, 09:41 AM
frisbeeguy's Avatar
frisbeeguy frisbeeguy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 458
Mein Auto: 07 BMW X3, 98 QX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly1 View Post
So basically the the cable that AVIN supplies won't work? Or do I just need a newer head unit from BMW that I can find online via Ebay. Confusing as hell, they make it seem like a plug and play but for BMW to leave out the use of a Aux plug is ridiculous, this was at the height of the iPod! LOL

Unit is installed, looks great but still no audio.... heck I could get a cheap head unit from Kenwood and or Pioneer with a rear Aux port on back and just do it that way as well. This is a project car, got it from a mother-in-law that pasted basically bought it to help pay for Funeral. Kid will have it next, even though it has 145K on it, it was well cared for. Sounds like I might have a radio that didn't have an Aux and as you stated I might need a newer head unit.
The 3.5mm audio cable supplied will work, but it's not braided, so there may be interference while driving (static noise through speakers)...lossless audio cables are for best audio quality. One trick to test if the unit is transmitting audio is to plug in your headphones in the "Audio out" port of the AVIN, and see if sound comes out...if not, AVIN issue, otherwise, BMW Radio/Aux issue. I think you need a newer BMW headunit, and that should solve the audio issue.

Yeah, it's not exactly plug-and-play like they say...lol...took me awhile to figure it out....wish they stated that an aux jack is needed to make sound go to the vehicle...the way the website asks "Do you have an aux jack?" sounds like the harness is already pre-wired and is plug-and play. I had the interior ripped apart quite a bit to just run cables

One other member here did do a Double-DIN fit with a Pioneer I think? There's a thread on it...it's a lot of work (gotta cut the dash), as for looks...depends on each person...I personally like the OEM look better.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-01-2019, 02:15 PM
FireFly1 FireFly1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9
Mein Auto:
Too funny but where is the audio out port on this unit? Is on the left side by the micro SD slot? Thanks for the info, a simple project made harder because I think this head unit isn't Aux ready and never was, hopefully I am wrong will find out tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-01-2019, 06:28 PM
frisbeeguy's Avatar
frisbeeguy frisbeeguy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 458
Mein Auto: 07 BMW X3, 98 QX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly1 View Post
Too funny but where is the audio out port on this unit? Is on the left side by the micro SD slot? Thanks for the info, a simple project made harder because I think this head unit isn't Aux ready and never was, hopefully I am wrong will find out tomorrow.
It's the black cable in the image I posted above...it has a label that says "audio out." I don't remember which harness it runs from, but I think it's the main harness (the one with the quadlocks).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-01-2019, 07:58 PM
frisbeeguy's Avatar
frisbeeguy frisbeeguy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 458
Mein Auto: 07 BMW X3, 98 QX4
I just realized that your unit is already installed...cable is inside the dash...you have to rip out the radio and the headunit again...lol.
__________________

Learn more about your BMW from Radical9Auto!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXN...Hw-og/featured
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-02-2019, 12:44 PM
FireFly1 FireFly1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9
Mein Auto:
firsbeeguy: Yeah, I have had enough of this BS AVIN tech support is like a slow moving freight train. They have no one you can call, which sucks, you and other guys on here have been much more helpful. I have installed boat loads of radio with zero issues, this unit isn't as simple as they make it, not with a BWM that's for sure. The dealership was clueless, and the funny thing is they thought
it was a new BMW because the car is in great shape and they saw the computer and thought it was a 2015, I said you guys are 10 years off..

Last edited by FireFly1; 08-02-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-02-2019, 05:04 PM
NCPCTech NCPCTech is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2
Mein Auto:
Display not turning off when car is off and keys are removed

Hi, I just installed my system last night and the install was pretty straight forward (or so I thought). I've installed 10+ android car stereos in friends and families vehicles. Everything works great except when I turn off the ignition and step out of the car the display for the unit stays on. I can even arm the alarm and it stays on. An hour later and it's still on. Any ideas?

A few notes.
1. I noticed that while the factory "business cd" radio turns off like normal when I turn off the key I can turn it on while the key is out of the ignition. This seems to be a standard feature for the BMWs from my research the last few days but I want to make sure.

2. My Car is a 2007 X3 E83 which did not come with a factory Nav system.

My main concern here is running down my battery. Any workarounds that don't involve pulling the fuse would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.


FYI, THis is my first BMW and we've only had it a few weeks now. Really glad I found this forum. I own a computer sales and repair business and I love tinkering.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-02-2019, 08:45 PM
frisbeeguy's Avatar
frisbeeguy frisbeeguy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 458
Mein Auto: 07 BMW X3, 98 QX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly1 View Post
firsbeeguy: Yeah, I have had enough of this BS AVIN tech support is like a slow moving freight train. They have no one you can call, which sucks, you and other guys on here have been much more helpful. I have installed boat loads of radio with zero issues, this unit isn't as simple as they make it, not with a BWM that's for sure. The dealership was clueless, and the funny thing is they thought
it was a new BMW because the car is in great shape and they saw the computer and thought it was a 2015, I said you guys are 10 years off..
BMW dealertechs get around 3 months training max...so they're usually clueless compared to forum members...they'll think a sack of potatoes with a BMW logo is a 2019 model source: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicAdv...k_for_porsche/
Most people said the same about AVIN support. Install is similar to pretty much all aftermarket headunits....same/similar cables to run...I think if you just play around with the cabling/experimenting, you'll get an idea of how it works...most of the time is spent just stuffing the cables in the dash since there's very little space....don't give up! It really is an easy install once you figure out that audio issue...I still suspect your BMW radio, so swap that out and see what happens...disassembling that center console area is easy...this video:
radio is only held with 2 phillips screws. The quadlock is a simple flip tab down to remove and fm radio connector has a tab to depress, then you pull off. Swap out the B-plug with the one I linked from Amazon....connect that to your phone...then try out Aux on the new BMW radio...if it works, you fixed it and can now remove the 3.5mm connector from your phone and connect the 3.5mm connector to the Audio out port of the AVIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPCTech View Post
Hi, I just installed my system last night and the install was pretty straight forward (or so I thought). I've installed 10+ android car stereos in friends and families vehicles. Everything works great except when I turn off the ignition and step out of the car the display for the unit stays on. I can even arm the alarm and it stays on. An hour later and it's still on. Any ideas?

A few notes.
1. I noticed that while the factory "business cd" radio turns off like normal when I turn off the key I can turn it on while the key is out of the ignition. This seems to be a standard feature for the BMWs from my research the last few days but I want to make sure.

2. My Car is a 2007 X3 E83 which did not come with a factory Nav system.

My main concern here is running down my battery. Any workarounds that don't involve pulling the fuse would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.


FYI, THis is my first BMW and we've only had it a few weeks now. Really glad I found this forum. I own a computer sales and repair business and I love tinkering.
Your "accessory" wire...the red one, is switched with the constant "yellow" wire...I heard it's a common AVIN issue...with the older units. Follow the wiring from the OEM harness to the AVIN...you may need a test light...identify the accessory and constant wiring...de-pin them from the avin harness (you'll need some good electrical pick tools) and swap positions...see if that works.

Last edited by frisbeeguy; 08-02-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-03-2019, 05:27 AM
rmepilot rmepilot is offline
Registered User
Location: Huntsville, AL
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 55
Mein Auto: '06 X3 6MT
Soooo... now what do you use for a cup holder?

Did you also add cams?

I'm looking into installing this on my daughter's X3 this winter.
__________________
“Those who say it can't be done, are usually interrupted by others doing it.”
-James Arthur Baldwin

"Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Master Yoda

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

'15 Tacoma DCLB Limited 4x4 S/C
'06 X3 6MT Silver/Gray w/ Terracotta leather interior
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-03-2019, 05:44 PM
NCPCTech NCPCTech is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2
Mein Auto:
frisbeeguy, THANK YOU! I am going to try this out tonight and I will let you know what I find out. Also, has anyone added a backup camera to your X3? What type of camera did you end up purchasing? I've seen the one that looks like its part of the door latch and it says it's for the E83 but it doesn't really look like it will work since the latch and the housing for the license plate lights are all one long piece of plastic. Any thoughts would be helpful thanks.

------
UPDATE!

That totally fixed it! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Observations:

So I switched the accessory wire with the constant and everything is great now. I noticed now that the radio does not have the option of turning on while the ignition is off. I could care less about this feature but it does seem like its worth noting since people with 2002 or newer BMWs mention that its a feature. I can't confirm that this is how it was before the install or not because I never tried it. Again, for me, it is NOT a problem. I can't really think of any situation where I would really want the stereo playing without the key. (This is not to say that plenty o other people wouldn't find the feature useful)

I also noticed that when turning the key off the stereo immediately turns off. I wish I could tell you I paid attention to how it functioned before but I can't. IF, and that is a BIG IF, the normal function is for the car to wait until you opened a door to get out before cutting the stereo then that would be a lost feature. I am simply stating this for anyone that cares about this feature.

Conclusion:
I am pretty sure that IF the above-mentioned quirks are really "lost" features/ functionality that I could have tracked down the wire that would have the delayed power shut-off (NOT an electrician so I don't know the terms but I think you get my point) and I could have just used that as the power for the head unit.

I'll make a separate post concerning which stereo this is and where I purchased it from. I am fairly sure it's from the supplier for the Avin car stereos.

THANK YOU again to frisbeeguy! You saved me a ton of heartache/ headache.

Last edited by NCPCTech; 08-03-2019 at 06:56 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-04-2019, 07:26 AM
frisbeeguy's Avatar
frisbeeguy frisbeeguy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 458
Mein Auto: 07 BMW X3, 98 QX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmepilot View Post
Soooo... now what do you use for a cup holder?

Did you also add cams?

I'm looking into installing this on my daughter's X3 this winter.
The door pockets...works good enough for me. I may later find a cup mold to fit in there or 3d print one (whenever I can get one...which won't be anytime soon...lol).

I added the wiring for the cams (front+back), but still have to install them...i'll get to that eventually...I have to fix the fm radio issue...get no reception sometimes....like fm radio stops and after letting the car sit for a day the reception for radio works again....why does this happen??????? (I don't know....I thought it was a loose connection but fm radio works after the car sits for a day) as of know...i somehow need to ziptie the connection on to keep it in place...I'm open to ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPCTech View Post
Also, has anyone added a backup camera to your X3? What type of camera did you end up purchasing? I've seen the one that looks like its part of the door latch and it says it's for the E83 but it doesn't really look like it will work since the latch and the housing for the license plate lights are all one long piece of plastic. Any thoughts would be helpful thanks.

------
UPDATE!

That totally fixed it! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.
You're welcome Glad it worked out. As for your observations, all is correct operation of the unit. Have a pioneer camera sitting in my cabinet...gonna use that...I plan to modify the entire license plate light latch area (some cutting possibly)....not sure how yet, I'll only know once I pull it out. Not sure about the door latch one.
__________________

Learn more about your BMW from Radical9Auto!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXN...Hw-og/featured

Last edited by frisbeeguy; 08-04-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-04-2019, 09:18 PM
Be-Em-Ve Be-Em-Ve is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto, ON
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPCTech View Post
I also noticed that when turning the key off the stereo immediately turns off. I wish I could tell you I paid attention to how it functioned before but I can't. IF, and that is a BIG IF, the normal function is for the car to wait until you opened a door to get out before cutting the stereo then that would be a lost feature. I am simply stating this for anyone that cares about this feature.
I can tell you that this is normal, on my car the parking lights stay on until the driver's door is opened but the radio turns off with the ignition, and yes it will turn on without the key for a certain period of time

Edit: Coincidentally, I was in the garage tonight and needed some music, seems it shuts off after 10-15 mins at a time without the key for the stereo

Last edited by Be-Em-Ve; 08-05-2019 at 12:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-06-2019, 07:32 PM
frisbeeguy's Avatar
frisbeeguy frisbeeguy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 458
Mein Auto: 07 BMW X3, 98 QX4
Fixed the fm radio issue...turned out to be a bent connector on the radio, so I just bent it back to shape and slightly repaired the fakra connector.
__________________

Learn more about your BMW from Radical9Auto!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXN...Hw-og/featured
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-10-2020, 11:15 AM
rmepilot rmepilot is offline
Registered User
Location: Huntsville, AL
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 55
Mein Auto: '06 X3 6MT
Still happy with this?

Anything you would change, if you bought it right now?
__________________
“Those who say it can't be done, are usually interrupted by others doing it.”
-James Arthur Baldwin

"Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Master Yoda

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

'15 Tacoma DCLB Limited 4x4 S/C
'06 X3 6MT Silver/Gray w/ Terracotta leather interior
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-21-2020, 05:39 PM
frisbeeguy's Avatar
frisbeeguy frisbeeguy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 458
Mein Auto: 07 BMW X3, 98 QX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmepilot View Post
Still happy with this?

Anything you would change, if you bought it right now?
Hello

Unit is still in the vehicle and is working great. It is similar to idrive, but idrive is still better for user interface. As for stuff i would change, carplay may stutter/freeze at times, and a phone restart usually solves that...I wish it would integrate better with an aftermarket microphone and carplay, but sadly does not...oh well, I just rely on the original bluetooth system for that....it also starts up slowly, takes about a minute for the wireless carplay to work....and it should have come with better instructions. Other than those gripes, had no other issues with it.

Edit: Make sure to line up the dash cavity with some tesa tape or felt tape....the unit squeaks a bit when outside temperatures are below 30 degrees (normal due to plastic contraction/expansion).

Last edited by frisbeeguy; 05-21-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-06-2020, 08:24 PM
rmepilot rmepilot is offline
Registered User
Location: Huntsville, AL
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 55
Mein Auto: '06 X3 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbeeguy View Post
Hello

Unit is still in the vehicle and is working great. It is similar to idrive, but idrive is still better for user interface. As for stuff i would change, carplay may stutter/freeze at times, and a phone restart usually solves that...I wish it would integrate better with an aftermarket microphone and carplay, but sadly does not...oh well, I just rely on the original bluetooth system for that....it also starts up slowly, takes about a minute for the wireless carplay to work....and it should have come with better instructions. Other than those gripes, had no other issues with it.

Edit: Make sure to line up the dash cavity with some tesa tape or felt tape....the unit squeaks a bit when outside temperatures are below 30 degrees (normal due to plastic contraction/expansion).
I appreciate the info.

Did you install front and/or rear cameras?

What about the ID "puck" controller, did you install this option?

Thanks.
__________________
“Those who say it can't be done, are usually interrupted by others doing it.”
-James Arthur Baldwin

"Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Master Yoda

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

'15 Tacoma DCLB Limited 4x4 S/C
'06 X3 6MT Silver/Gray w/ Terracotta leather interior

Last edited by rmepilot; 06-06-2020 at 08:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-02-2020, 06:28 PM
frisbeeguy's Avatar
frisbeeguy frisbeeguy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 458
Mein Auto: 07 BMW X3, 98 QX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmepilot View Post
I appreciate the info.

Did you install front and/or rear cameras?

What about the ID "puck" controller, did you install this option?

Thanks.
Currently have rear camera (wired)
Pre-wired for front, just have to be willing to do it...lol
Have ID puck as well.
Attached pictures (although not sure why they're sideways...their not on my computer)
Navigation limitation: cannot use the Puck when using the built in one...carplay+google maps allow the puck.

Overall, I still prefer idrive, but this system is close and is a good retrofit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7008.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	899085   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7009.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	899087   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7010.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	899089   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7011.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	899091   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7012.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	899093  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7013.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	899095   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7014.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	899097   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7015.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	899099   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7019.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	899101   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7021.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	899103  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7022.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	899105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7023.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	899107  

Last edited by frisbeeguy; 07-02-2020 at 06:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-09-2020, 03:20 PM
rmepilot rmepilot is offline
Registered User
Location: Huntsville, AL
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 55
Mein Auto: '06 X3 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbeeguy View Post
Currently have rear camera (wired)
Pre-wired for front, just have to be willing to do it...lol
Have ID puck as well.
Attached pictures (although not sure why they're sideways...their not on my computer)
Navigation limitation: cannot use the Puck when using the built in one...carplay+google maps allow the puck.

Overall, I still prefer idrive, but this system is close and is a good retrofit.
Looks great.

Which camera did you put in the back?
__________________
“Those who say it can't be done, are usually interrupted by others doing it.”
-James Arthur Baldwin

"Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Master Yoda

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

'15 Tacoma DCLB Limited 4x4 S/C
'06 X3 6MT Silver/Gray w/ Terracotta leather interior
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-14-2020, 07:13 PM
frisbeeguy's Avatar
frisbeeguy frisbeeguy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 458
Mein Auto: 07 BMW X3, 98 QX4
The one I used from amazon is no longer available...this one is similar:
https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Re...4778352&sr=8-6

Removed the rear finish, slightly undid the clips that hold the black plastic trim....the area where the torx screw goes, I chose that as the rear camera mount. had to cut some material, so filled the void with silicone. I used PDR Glue (yellow), so that I can easily remove the camera if I ever have to access that torx screw behind...need hot glue gun for this.

Used these wires for power for camera /reverse light tap (you can either solder or use taps):https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 gotta thread through the boot.

Used a relay: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Threaded one of these through the boot: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
specifically the female RCA Portion as the Male end is too big. This was hard and required a lot of soapy water inside the boot. Doing this first before any other wires will make the job semi-easy.

Last edited by frisbeeguy; 07-14-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.