The Official “Tip-In” / “Acceleration/Throttle Delay” Resolution Thread - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Why would a automatic transmission dalay problem happen in a manual?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i,Sport, 6MT(ret)
:) hence the naivity

Just wanting to make sure there is no other system affected that would play a part in a manual trans as well. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i
No problem with 2012 BMW 550i

Reading this thread gives me goose bumps!. I've had my 2012 550i for 8 months and it takes off instantly and like a rocket if you press hard with no trace of any delay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Verified Trusted User

Mein Auto: 2012 535i, Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012_535xi View Post
Can anyone confirm that this still happens on the 2012 535s?
I have an April 2012 build and my car works perfectly. If it's in sport mode it's especially quick then pushing down on the accelerator.
2012 535i, April build, Space Grey, Oyster Interior, 19" M sport rims/tires, premium pkg, premium sound, side/top cameras, heated seats, comfort access, ceramic controls, OEM spoiler, painted front reflectors, 35% tint, rear Fog lights, coded to my liking.

Dinan Stage 1 tune.
M Performance Exhaust.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: Accord 2007
is the issue solved totally now?
Old 05-06-2013, 12:15 PM

I test drove a 530i (2013 build) last month and I faced the issue
Old 05-06-2013, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: 550, X5
I had E60 535 and had this issue. Currently own 2012 X5 35d and have the issue. Several years ago had a Camry and had the same issue...

I figured (my opinion only, no scientific research ) that root cause is due to manufacturer attempt to improve mpg...the transmission in general shifts too early and tries to keep it in higher gear for as long as possible...this is fine if you are cruising either on highway or regular street...the problem starts when you need acceleration, the damn thing is too stupid to figure out that it needs to downshift in split second...

I found two ways to overcome this (besides swithing to DS):
1. When you press the gas pedal, press it a little bit slower...like you were to step on an orange without breaking it...don't know better way to explain it...just do not press it down too fast, but slower. gentler...
2. this second way was my wife's "invention" - you press it down quickly for a split second and then release it...for next several seconds, the tranny is "ready" and if you just step on it normally it will behave as you\d expect...

Additionally, I think this issue is inherent to all automatic transmissions, it almost looks like the same (unknown) sowtware company is selling their modules to different manufacturers...
In my x5 35d the issue is less pronounced due to higher torque (I think) ...and same thing with 550i, the higher torque masks the issue...
I may be wrong though...just my $.02
Old 05-06-2013, 04:25 PM

well I tried the benz E300 and it just move like a silk
Old 05-07-2013, 01:23 AM

Mein Auto: M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurko View Post
2. this second way was my wife's "invention" - you press it down quickly for a split second and then release it...for next several seconds, the tranny is "ready" and if you just step on it normally it will behave as you\d expect...
This is exactly what I do when in sudden need for smooth yet decisive acceleration. When I have more time to prepare, I just

3. Downshift a gear or two with my left paddle - after accelerating (like for overtaking), I would downshift back to the lower possible gear and within several seconds, the SAT will switch to D by itself.
RWD true bimmer: 2015 M235i 8AT fully loaded, with LSD
Old 05-07-2013, 04:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Or solution #50 - buy a new car... like I did.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnie View Post
1) Press the Start button once to turn on power. Do not press the brake pedal and do not start the engine.
2) Press the accelerator down to the floor for up to 60 seconds. You should hear clicking to indicate it is resetting.
3) Press the Start button again to turn the power off.
4) Now remove your foot from the accelerator.
5) Wait TWO minutes and start up the vehicle like normal
Has anything changed in the above procedure since it was posted? I tried it today, but never heard any "clicking", nor felt any difference in my throttle/tranny responsiveness afterwards...
Old 05-25-2013, 12:03 PM

Anyone, please?
Old 05-25-2013, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: RX350
Got my 2011 528i back from annual service Thursday, they did a computer program change and it drives like any other car now, with the trans simply left in D.

Also new rotors and light blue pads, couple of other issues, all fixed satisfactorily and completely with no charge.

BMW total maintenance care absolutely rocks.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
When I do it, it always seems to help, but I never hear any clicking. I also sometimes do it in my garage and then leave the car without a restart.

Good luck -
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 05-25-2013, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldCAD View Post
Has anything changed in the above procedure since it was posted? I tried it today, but never heard any "clicking", nor felt any difference in my throttle/tranny responsiveness afterwards...
Nothing has changed, but all you need is to hold the gas pedal for 5 seconds (make sure you press all the way in until it clicks). I've never waited for the clicking sound.

Last edited by douggie; 05-25-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:34 AM

The Official "Tip-In" / "Acceleration/Throttle Delay" Resolution Thread

It is not a good idea to pay around $70,000 in a car with such issue,,,,,

I think I will decide not to buy the 5 series

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-27-2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurko View Post
I had E60 535 and had this issue. Currently own 2012 X5 35d and have the issue. Several years ago had a Camry and had the same issue...

I figured (my opinion only, no scientific research ) that root cause is due to manufacturer attempt to improve mpg...the transmission in general shifts too early and tries to keep it in higher gear for as long as possible...this is fine if you are cruising either on highway or regular street...the problem starts when you need acceleration, the damn thing is too stupid to figure out that it needs to downshift in split second...

I found two ways to overcome this (besides swithing to DS):
1. When you press the gas pedal, press it a little bit slower...like you were to step on an orange without breaking it...don't know better way to explain it...just do not press it down too fast, but slower. gentler...

Additionally, I think this issue is inherent to all automatic transmissions, it almost looks like the same (unknown) sowtware company is selling their modules to different manufacturers...
In my x5 35d the issue is less pronounced due to higher torque (I think) ...and same thing with 550i, the higher torque masks the issue...
I may be wrong though...just my $.02
Yes, you are right that it makes sense to stay in higher gears for better fuel economy while cruising, but come on, when I step on the gas pedal, I need to MOVE! YES, RIGHT NOW!

Yes, your wife's method works, but it's stupid to have to do that BEFORE you really need the response. It's really shocking that the first quick jab at the pedal (all the way to the "click") really does not do anything. It's like bitch slapping the car and say, "hey, I mean business when I step hard on the gas pedal later on, so wake up and get ready".

Again, all we need is the RESPONSE of the DS mode, but without the high RPM holding.

Last edited by douggie; 05-27-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:43 AM

In days gone by, the transmission was subject to the intake manifold vacuum. Reduce the vacuum by stepping on the gas and the transmission would downshift. Now there is no throttle plate so the process is governed by software that is set up too conservatively unless you are in "Sport.". And it is (in my experience) exacerbated by the adaptive software that "learns" that you are not always stepping on it and learns to ignore it when you do.

Just the other day, I was coasting down and needed some juice quick. I put my foot way into the pedal and...nada. No downshift, no power, nothing for many seconds. I even speculate that there is a secondary control loop that prevents the motor from making full power if the RPM is too low (as it would be if it were in too high a gear). This may create a perfect storm that further delays the downshift. But as soon as I did the manual reset procedure, things got way better. I've made a promise to myself to do that at least once a week or more.
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 05-27-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
In days gone by, the transmission was subject to the intake manifold vacuum. Reduce the vacuum by stepping on the gas and the transmission would downshift. Now there is no throttle plate so the process is governed by software that is set up too conservatively unless you are in "Sport.". And it is (in my experience) exacerbated by the adaptive software that "learns" that you are not always stepping on it and learns to ignore it when you do.

Just the other day, I was coasting down and needed some juice quick. I put my foot way into the pedal and...nada. No downshift, no power, nothing for many seconds. I even speculate that there is a secondary control loop that prevents the motor from making full power if the RPM is too low (as it would be if it were in too high a gear). This may create a perfect storm that further delays the downshift. But as soon as I did the manual reset procedure, things got way better. I've made a promise to myself to do that at least once a week or more.
Yep, in certain circumstances, not getting any response when you need the power can be dangerous. There are also cases when there is some response, but it only downshifts ONE gear even if I floored it. That's why there was a point in time where I felt the car was unsafe to drive.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: Tricycle
Anyone in the LA area who had the throttle delay, but was able to get the throttle re-mapped by BMW to eliminate the delay?

This is one thing that's holding me back from buying a 535i now.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:08 AM

Just done last week but not in LA and not on a 535. However it has changed the car night and day (528i). Did not affect seamless shifting or any other driving characteristic (use Sport mode for that) but there is no longer a delayed throttle tip-in issue and the car moves the moment you push on the gas pedal.

MR Bulk

"If the toothbrush was invented anywhere other than Arkansas, it would have been called the Teethbrush."
(no offense, otherwise just insert another state...)
Old 05-30-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlkccom View Post
Anyone in the LA area who had the throttle delay, but was able to get the throttle re-mapped by BMW to eliminate the delay?

This is one thing that's holding me back from buying a 535i now.
Not trying to discourage you, but I would say that if you bought one that had the delay, the software update can only minimize the delay. It is still far from the response you get from the DS mode, so be prepared to toggle the shifter back and fourth.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by douggie View Post
Not trying to discourage you, but I would say that if you bought one that had the delay, the software update can only minimize the delay. It is still far from the response you get from the DS mode, so be prepared to toggle the shifter back and fourth.
Some argued that BMW purposely programmed the throttle to have this delay. If so, then why is it that some have this delay, while some do not. Someone mentioned about the delay will be less obvious if the car is equipped with Sport Auto Transmission. I've tested several 535s with or without Sport Auto Transmission, and all have this throttle delay.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:38 AM

I would say that beyond a certain point, throttle hesitation may become a more subjective perception that one can will oneself to be convinced is still present to a slight degree.

I had it big time on my non-turbo 6-cyl. 528i, got something done during service to the computer programming (several other things were reset on my car after I got it back, such as memory sears plus some iDrive settings, etc.), and now the lag is gone and it drives like a "regular car", although now that I've become so sensitized to the issue, even in my wife's Lexus I can make myself feel there is a slight hesitation if I drive it a certain way, etc., yet prior to this I always thought its throttle tip-in was okay and normal.

Weird.

MR Bulk

"If the toothbrush was invented anywhere other than Arkansas, it would have been called the Teethbrush."
(no offense, otherwise just insert another state...)
Old 05-31-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR Bulk View Post
Just done last week but not in LA and not on a 535. However it has changed the car night and day (528i). Did not affect seamless shifting or any other driving characteristic (use Sport mode for that) but there is no longer a delayed throttle tip-in issue and the car moves the moment you push on the gas pedal.
How and by who?

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
528i

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search