Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 02-28-2014, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: Turbo 1991 Honda Civic Si
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34

When I showed up at my friends house with my new-to-me 5 speed '95 525i the first time, he laughed and said, "who are you, Gordan Gecko?" and then started referring to the car as "Wall Street". In that spirit of excess, I intend to build this car. I'm swapping an L59 (iron block 5.3L LSX motor), T56 (GTO 6 speed trans) and a pair of turbos.

The L59 was chosen over the lighter LS1 for it's low price and robustness. My power goal is 700 hp to the wheels with a fat powerband. The Aluminum LS motors are prone to self destruction at the power level without being built where the iron block motors hold impossible amounts of power in stock form. (http://tinyurl.com/Truckin-Article)

So far the M50 and trans are out, and I have sectioned the cross members. I bought a mock up foam block for this project which has been super helpful already. I need to find a rack to swap in to replace the steering box and possibly convert the brake booster to a hydroboost setup as it looks like it is going to be in the way. More to come.

PICTURES
http://imgur.com/a/eRYpL_a_
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 02:47 PM
Resident e34 Racer

Mein Auto: 1995 540i SPORT /6 spd
Huh... I think he is serious... Cool.

Should sell that dumb Honda thats in the way and just throw funds at this new project!
Bone stock 95' 540i/6 Blk/blk w/ ram style C.A.I / JBR LWFW/ DUDMD tune/ straight pipe /545 SSK /3.15 LSD / Rev-shift motor mounts/stage 4, 6 puck clutch/ K Sport coil overs/Eibach sway bars/ VAC under drive pulleys/weight reduction /sparco 368, Recaro seats, sparco harnesses, NX wet kit, M/T E/T streets.

"Skill can only get you so far, then comes money!"
R . I . P Paul Walker - 1973 - 2013
Old 03-05-2014, 04:43 PM

It may have the power going to the wrong wheels, but my dumb Honda is so fun. There are some pictures from that build here. http://imgur.com/a/bzjOt#0

I ditched the GTO shifter and bought a Camaro one to get the motor and trans back about 3" further. It's close to the firewall and trans tunnel now, but will allow for much more space under the hood for the turbos and plumbing. I ordered a fast ratio rack that I am going to work in there somehow. I had to remove the brake booster as it was hitting the head and so I bought a mustang hydrobooster that I am going to replace it with. The ABS motor will also have to be relocated. I spent most of the last few days researching so not much progress otherwise. http://imgur.com/a/eRYpL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 04:50 PM
Nothin like an E34

Mein Auto: 95 540i B/B
WOW he is reallllllllly serious, this is some cool $#!^, imma stay posted to this thread, sounds like something my dad was talking about doing to the 530 down the road.
Love the underneath pic, that was funny in so many ways.

Gotta love an E34!!
If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.

READ THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES

Audio

E28 v. E30 v. E34
Old 03-05-2014, 05:06 PM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Moar

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1394068012.231057.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	426502

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
2017 C7 Z06
2002 C5 Z06 654 rwhp
2018 Ford Raptor
Old 03-05-2014, 07:24 PM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

Mein Auto: What they Drive
Good show. Another monster LSX swap. There's plenty of info on how to go about this project.
As well there is actually a full build thread which someone did this with a touring.
IIRC you may have to either change or Hybrid the steering column and either purchase or create a support bracket.
I'll see if I can find the thread for reference purposes only.

Hey your in Philly. I may have to take a trip out there to check it out or help turn a wrench or two.

I'll bring beer.

86 BMW 325es...Sold,
92 BMW 535i...Totalled
89 BMW 535i aka "Zaraki"... Totalled,
90 BMW 325i m60 swap... Sold for a friend,
95 e34 525 5 spd S52 Swap aka "Grau"...Sold,
01 Cosmoschwartz on Dove e38 740i msport... Sold,
01 Titan Silver on Schwartz e38 740i Msport Aka "Lucky Lilly... PROJECT KILLER WHALE
00 Chevy 4wd s10 BLazer LT aka "El Squeeky"... Sold
03 E53 x5 4.6is...Daily
Old 03-05-2014, 08:31 PM
Resident e34 Racer

Mein Auto: 1995 540i SPORT /6 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGarys View Post
It may have the power going to the wrong wheels, but my dumb Honda is so fun. There are some pictures from that build here. http://imgur.com/a/bzjOt#0
I own a bone stock integra currently (and feel bad for myself, hate it)
And i had a built turbo b18 civic that was stupid fast..!

I learned 3 things!

1) if you take the fuel efficiency and reliability out of a honda you got nothing left..

2)Even In Japan a fast civic is a joke, there like.. We make sports cars... GTR/240's/rx7/Z's,miata,s2k,wrx,evo,3000gt,galant vr4, the list goes on and on.ect ect

3)After enough power it stops becoming fast and just becomes a dangerous waist of time..

Wanna know if your buddy tells the truth about having a 400hp honda?
When he launches it, he will end up 3 lanes to the right by the time he hits second..

Ya its cool at 17 to feel like you have way way to much power, but in reality its just a placebo from a car that cant cope going wtf are we doing..

Hold not a candle to what a proper car will do.. And FWD always limits potential witch someone who is as big a power nutter as i am should be sympathetic to that...
Bone stock 95' 540i/6 Blk/blk w/ ram style C.A.I / JBR LWFW/ DUDMD tune/ straight pipe /545 SSK /3.15 LSD / Rev-shift motor mounts/stage 4, 6 puck clutch/ K Sport coil overs/Eibach sway bars/ VAC under drive pulleys/weight reduction /sparco 368, Recaro seats, sparco harnesses, NX wet kit, M/T E/T streets.

"Skill can only get you so far, then comes money!"
R . I . P Paul Walker - 1973 - 2013
Old 03-07-2014, 07:37 AM

I don't want to turn this into a FWD vs RWD or a "I only love one car and all other cars suck" thread. I love engineering and building cars. Each car has different qualities and attracts a different crowd and those differences make you appreciate what makes each car good. When I get in my E34 I think, this thing is great on the highway and so quiet. The heated seats and build quality and luxury items are great. And when I drive the Civic after the E34 I think about how light and nimble it is. It is quick and the handling is forgiving. You can drive it hard, it's like a toy or a go kart.

I finished up the the trans mount version 1.0. and started in on the cross member. Motor mounts should be sketched out tonight. Im going to get more metal today.
http://imgur.com/a/eRYpL#EIu1V3B
Old 03-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 e34
How many miles on your 525. I might be interested in the transmission.

Peter

1995 e34 530i 164,000
1990 e34 525 junked
1984 e30 325 junked
1990 GS N8303
1980 928 gone
1998 740 gone
1986 535 gone
1984 533 gone
1980 320 gone
Old 04-23-2014, 06:57 PM

New Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/eRYpL

I tried a Fox Body Mustang rack as I had one accessible, the mounting points are huge and there was no way it was going to work. I bought a Mk IV Jetta rack and that is working out. It's as high, and as far forward as I could get it without having to modify the GTO oil pan. I don't think bump steer is going to be an issue with its current location. It was much wider than the BMW linkage so I had to section the outer tie rod ends. Also, the VW ball joints are larger so I had to ream out the mounting points on the car.

Next, I reinforced the places on the cross member where the rack mounts so I would have solid metal square to the rack.

The rag joint is a modified Mark IV Jetta one. If i did this over I would have used a Mark III Jetta rack as they have a boot that covers the shaft whereas the IV has a rubber gasket and the entire unit is behind the firewall. I welded bottom half of the BMW slip shaft to the top of the Jetta shaft after much measuring. I don't know how the Jetta bearing comes apart so I just submerged it in water while I welded the slip shaft so I wouldn't melt it. Then I shortened the VW slip joint by disassembling it and cutting crimping etc.

Next I made a bracket to mount the bearing to the frame rail. I cut all tabs and crap off the rails for this. The piece pictured was version 1, I am doing it over with slightly thicker metal and moving it forward a few mm as after I got the rack all mounted up it was a bit off.

I boxed the cross member and welded in a piece of 1" X 3". This is mostly finished now but I didn't picture it yet.

I bought a 03 Cobra booster and Master and will be making a new firewall bracket to mount that up.

More updates soon, I just got accessory brackets in and a bunch of other parts.

@Lapin 229, the trans has low miles, but pops out of first gear. If you are still interested we can work something out. I was waiting to sell all the unused parts off until I was farther along or finished as you never know what you are going to need with a project like this.

Last edited by GaryGarys; 04-23-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:53 AM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Mein Auto: Sig
2014 F-150 45k mi

Instagram: @Titan_E34
Snapchat: Titan_E34
Old 07-09-2014, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: '02 540i/6
Any updates on this?!
Old 07-09-2014, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 540i A
Impressive. Most impressive. I look forward to watching the progress on this slice of insanity.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to 3VurtSpeed28I
Mein Auto: 1999 328IC
Updates?
Old 11-03-2015, 10:16 PM

Been away for a while and havent been updating.

With the help of Geoff from Full Race via Dave from F.A.S.T of West Chester, I decided on going single turbo with a 82mm Borg Warner S400

Last edited by GaryGarys; 11-03-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:59 PM

Last edited by GaryGarys; 12-17-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:08 PM

Welding

Last edited by GaryGarys; 12-17-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:09 PM

Last edited by GaryGarys; 12-17-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 89 535i
This is so bat**** crazy in an awesome way.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: junk, but not garbage
This is a fantastic build! Any progress on it? You must've finished and have been too busy tearing up the streets. I am currently working on the same project: '93 E34, LQ4, T56, some kind of single turbo setup to be determined... I'm thinking about hydroboost, but I'm leaning toward a floor mounted Wilwood pedal box with master cylinders in the car - manual, non-boosted brakes. I'd like to use the truck manifold instead of the LS6 or LS1 intake - looks like there's room!

Right now, I'm researching steering racks. You're the second one I've found who has done a MkIV golf/jetta power rack. The distance from inner joint to inner joint is what concerns me though. Do you know this distance? Can you measure it on the jetta rack? Do you know if it's different for a MkIII rack? The E34 tie rod measures about 23-5/8" Any variance from this will cause bump steer. Yours sure looks like it's pretty damned close. Another option is a Dodge Omni power steering rack. Flaming River makes their own version based on this but it's EXPENSIVE. Unisteer sells Omni power racks and modifies them to suit you, but the rack lines stick up into the oil pan. I've also looked into other Chrysler K-car possibilities like: '89 Dodge Shadow, Daytona, Neon but I don't can't find joint to joint dimensions on these.

Would you please measure joint to joint and post it? Thanks!

Steve
Old 01-18-2017, 04:17 PM

Link to Unisteer Omni rack:
http://www.unisteer.com/custom-racks/2/15/document.html

Diagram showing rules for tie rod joint position (or do a google search for "bump steer" and diagram comes up):
http://www.longacreracing.com/techni...aspx?item=8162

Last edited by AOG; 01-18-2017 at 04:19 PM. Reason: orig image link didn't work
Old 01-18-2017, 10:43 PM

I have made much progress since my last post, I'll add some pictures soon.

I don't think a truck intake would fit, at least not with a T56 in the BMW shifter hole and the oil pan above the ground. If you are going boosted its a moot point anyway as any LS intake will make enough power to put your problems elsewhere.

The pitman arms have a sweep and do not move linearly like a rack, so measuring for a rack that was "the same width" was not really worth it. I tried a couple racks and the MK IV VW was the best compromise of price and packaging. I shortened the inner tie rod ends of the VW rack to make the width match the E34, then located the rack where it should create the least bump steer and welded mounts. The GTO oil pan is key to optimally locating the rack in this setup. If once the car is running, if bump steer is an issue I'll dig back into the rack situation, but for now there are many other problems to address.

If you are planning on doing a setup like this, I would strongly advise you reconsider and:

- Turbo the M50 (or whatever is in your car) you will be finished in less time than it took me to write this reply and it will be stupid fun and reliable.

- Go NA with the LS, so much cheaper and easier, car will be finished in half the time

It really depends when you expect to drive the car. Don't underestimate just how challenging and involved a swap this is for the E34. If you really like the tinkering and welding, thinking and spending money, go for the full E34 LS Turbo dreams. Alternately, do an LS in an E30 or E36 where you can buy a bolt in kit for like $1000 on eBay.

Last edited by GaryGarys; 01-18-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:10 AM

Well, I can't wait to see all of the progress pics! Photo documenting a build adds a significant amount of time and I'm not the best about documenting my progress - seems like the hardest thing to do when you're in the thick of it and making gains.

I tend to get bogged down by the details, but the little stuff is lots of fun for me so I'm not afraid of welding and fabbing stuff up. CAD templates are very useful to good fabrication work (Cardboard Aided Design, that is).

I still have not decided on the total blueprint of the project so some concessions have to be made. I wanted to do a roll cage, but that may fall by the wayside for now. I'm not a BMW guy, but rather a Volvo guy... this car just came along. I wanted to do a turbo LS swap and I had these requirements for a car:
- MacPherson front strut
- rack and pinion steering
- independent rear
- rust-free RWD chassis with decent balance and light weight
- a non-typical unique car that hasn't been LS swapped to death (so something different)
- didn't need paint / white color preferred
- OBDI era car

Honestly I was looking for a Volvo 960 when this car came along. It is a hi-miles southern car that broke down here on the way to Chicago. Guy sold it to me for $1000. It falls short of some requirements, but enough checkboxes were there.

Interior was fully trashed, OK by me because the only thing staying will be the dash top, steering column, and heater box. Lightest weight is key. Your theme was "Wall Street", mine would be more like the movie, "Two Lane Blacktop".

So far I have collected:
- LQ4 6.0L gen III with later (stronger) rods and bottom end
- T56 LT1 version - need to upgrade to LS midplate and input shaft (easy)
- Ford 8.8" rear end - have 3.55 gear open diff - need to get a 3.73 locker

Tentative plan is:
- Megasquirt 3 (MS3 Gold box)
- KB racing log exhaust manifolds
- VS racing 7875 single turbo w/T4 outlet (3" exhaust) - OR -
- VS racing Borg Warner S400 or S480 billet w/T6 outlet (5" exhaust w/cutout and 3" muffler)
- Wilwood manual brakes and pedal box, stock calipers for now
- Ford 8.8 adapted to subframe
- Porsche 930 CV axles adapted to E34 hub
- sumped stock tank (working on it now) with AN8 or AN10 overkill lines, Magnafuel 4303 pump, return fuel lines with boost referencing adj regulator at firewall
- handmade wiring harnesses and cutting out of all unused BMW wiring (I love wiring)
- stock body and wheels - already looks great to me!
- possibly coilovers, but this will be last
- NHRA legal cage, SCCA legal would be nice for future. Cage may get nixed for now.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing your build! It's a great inspiration to guys like me. Mine will not be as nice as yours - Lots more MIG welding and mild steel exhaust instead of stainless.

Steve
Old 01-19-2017, 08:49 AM

Some of the photos of my project:
http://s1261.photobucket.com/user/JA...0LQ4%20Project

Old 08-05-2018, 04:28 PM

Car is running and driving now. I did a street tune, will post numbers whenever I make it to the dyno. Working out odds and ends now, but for the most part it is together.

This is a bluetooth to serial adapter I put in the computer so I don't have to plug the computer in.

I mounted everything in the original computer box, shown here are the fan controller, relays and stuff

So many wires

Gauge pod for the wideband and boost control knob

Flocked and installed

Fabbed up a driveshaft loop

I wanted to retain the low coolant overflow level sensor so I made a fitting for the BMW gauge

Gold heat shield on the inner fender

4" all the way back

I was melting the connectors on the coil packs so I made a heat shield for that side

Most importantly

Paint is up next

and a bluetooth reworking of this guy

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
5 series, bmw, build, chevy, e34, ls1, swap, turbo, wall street

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)
Today's Posts Search