X6 Focus Group in NJ- Q Insights - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 F16 (2015 - Current)

X6 F16 (2015 - Current)
The all new 2015 BMW X6 is the second generation luxury cross over. BMW referes to the X6 as a Sports Activity Coupe (SAC) as it combines the attributes of an SUV (high ground clearance, xDrive and all-weather ability) with the stance, styling and roof line shape of a coupe. The F16 BMW X6 is build side by side with the F15 X5 at BMW's BMW's Spartanburg, SC plant. Read all about the second generation BMW X6 here!

Old 01-25-2016, 05:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '16 X6 ///M
X6 Focus Group in NJ- Q Insights

I post4ed this in the M forum also. Not sure who they are targeting.

Anyone else get contacted by Q Insights to participate in a focus group at the Meadowlands Feb 6th?

I did one back in 2006ish when BMW was looking to launch the X6. I knew it was coming out from one of the BMW forums. They paid me a few hundred for it. I would have done it for free. I think this one is for another manufacturer looking to enter the market in this segment although they asked if I looked at the GLE Coupe before I got the 2016 X6.

I figure I am their perfect candidate being on my 4th X6. I heard Audi was going to enter the arena.

Bueller....Bueller...Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 09:27 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx5go View Post
I post4ed this in the M forum also. Not sure who they are targeting.

Anyone else get contacted by Q Insights to participate in a focus group at the Meadowlands Feb 6th?

I did one back in 2006ish when BMW was looking to launch the X6. I knew it was coming out from one of the BMW forums. They paid me a few hundred for it. I would have done it for free. I think this one is for another manufacturer looking to enter the market in this segment although they asked if I looked at the GLE Coupe before I got the 2016 X6.

I figure I am their perfect candidate being on my 4th X6. I heard Audi was going to enter the arena.

Bueller....Bueller...Anyone?
I have not been invited to this one even though I have been invited to others in the past. BTW Laura, I have been meaning to ask you, how do you like the new x6M? We got a regular x6 and miss our departed 2013 x5M. The biggest problem, for us, with the new x6M is that BMW changed the seats and the M multi-contour seats do not allow rearward adjustment of the headrest as much as the non-M multi-contour seat. Part of me wishes I never let the 2013 x5M go back......
Old 01-30-2016, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
I have not been invited to this one even though I have been invited to others in the past. BTW Laura, I have been meaning to ask you, how do you like the new x6M? We got a regular x6 and miss our departed 2013 x5M. The biggest problem, for us, with the new x6M is that BMW changed the seats and the M multi-contour seats do not allow rearward adjustment of the headrest as much as the non-M multi-contour seat. Part of me wishes I never let the 2013 x5M go back......
Ahhh, the seat saga! That's a sore subject with me. I think BMW blew it on the redesign of both the M and non M multi contour seats. The multi contour seats in the E70/71 were incredible. The new ones are shorter in the seat, narrower all over, harder in general. The side bolsters don't wrap around you and hold you in they way they used to and the leg bolsters don't extend out as far. The old ones came out to the bend in my knee.

I had a '16 50i for a few months. No matter what I did, I couldn't find a comfortable setting. I really hated them. I traded it for the M in December. I find the M seats are marginally better as far as my issues above, but the head rest - or lack of - takes a bit of getting used to. It's part of the seat back and not a separate piece. No more up and down adjustment, no more wrapping around your head.

Now that you got me riled up, shall we start on the tiny mirrors?

Overall I am very happy I traded the 50i for the M but I don't get some of the changes BMW made to basics and the packages. Why can't I have napa seats in a solid color in the 50i? And the napa they offer now is no where near the quality of the napa in my '10. Why do I have to have ventilated seats in the M because they are now in a package I want . I liked it better when we could pick options or delete options. I'm sure from a supply chain standpoint, this makes sense for BMW but come on. We're not talking an entry level 3 series, If I'm spending $100K on a car, I should be able to get what I want.

Whew...

I met you at one of the X5 World meets a few years ago, right?

Last edited by cmyx5go; 01-30-2016 at 04:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2016, 07:17 AM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
Ahhh, the seat saga! That's a sore subject with me. I think BMW blew it on the redesign of both the M and non M multi contour seats. The multi contour seats in the E70/71 were incredible. The new ones are shorter in the seat, narrower all over, harder in general. The side bolsters don't wrap around you and hold you in they way they used to and the leg bolsters don't extend out as far. The old ones came out to the bend in my knee.

I had a '16 50i for a few months. No matter what I did, I couldn't find a comfortable setting. I really hated them. I traded it for the M in December. I find the M seats are marginally better as far as my issues above, but the head rest - or lack of - takes a bit of getting used to. It's part of the seat back and not a separate piece. No more up and down adjustment, no more wrapping around your head.

Now that you got me riled up, shall we start on the tiny mirrors?

Overall I am very happy I traded the 50i for the M but I don't get some of the changes BMW made to basics and the packages. Why can't I have napa seats in a solid color in the 50i? And the napa they offer now is no where near the quality of the napa in my '10. Why do I have to have ventilated seats in the M because they are now in a package I want . I liked it better when we could pick options or delete options. I'm sure from a supply chain standpoint, this makes sense for BMW but come on. We're not talking an entry level 3 series, If I'm spending $100K on a car, I should be able to get what I want.

Whew...

I met you at one of the X5 World meets a few years ago, right?
Wow Laura. Your rant sounds exactly like my wife's rant. I mean exactly. Did you two talk on the phone before you posted this . In all seriousness, I get all of your criticisms and agree with them. My takeaway is that the new multi contour seats do not work as well with female bodies as the old ones. To me, the new seats are fine, but I am a big and tall guy so most seats (except the crappy 3 seats) suit me just fine. We will hang onto the x6 we have and see how the wife adapts. The next one might be an M....it ll depend on the seat comfort for her.

We never met in person....I have been posting on xoutpost for many years and remember when you joined and we have traded posts over there with some frequency. The wife and I are on our 7th x5/6 since 2002 so I have been on x related forums for quite some time.

Lastly, I hope the x6m ends up giving you what you want out of the car.

Last edited by Alpine300ZHP; 01-31-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
Wow Laura. Your rant sounds exactly like my wife's rant. I mean exactly. Did you two talk on the phone before you posted this . In all seriousness, I get all of your criticisms and agree with them. My takeaway is that the new multi contour seats do not work as well with female bodies as the old ones. To me, the new seats are fine, but I am a big and tall guy so most seats (except the crappy 3 seats) suit me just fine. We will hang onto the x6 we have and see how the wife adapts. The next one might be an M....it ll depend on the seat comfort for her.

We never met in person....I have been posting on xoutpost for many years and remember when you joined and we have traded posts over there with some frequency. The wife and I are on our 7th x5/6 since 2002 so I have been on x related forums for quite some time.

Lastly, I hope the x6m ends up giving you what you want out of the car.
I knew you were from Outpost but I thought we met at a meet down in Tampa we had many years ago.

No, I didn't speak to your wife but I'm glad it's not just me. I posted my thoughts on all the forums when I first got the 50i, but no one really responded so I thought no one agreed. I stopped posting because I felt like a downer to the members all excited waiting to take delivery of theirs.

I thought I'd get past the seats but every time I got behind the wheel I'd get pissy trying yet again to get comfortable. On top of that, the driving feel wasn't the same. The only difference between my '10 50i and my '13 M was when I pressed the M button, which is why I didn't think it would be a big deal to take a step backwards. This is not the case with the new generation. As I was trying to suck it up and get past the seats, I started to realize all the other differences. I no longer felt confident tearing around my entrance ramp in the morning. I felt body roll I never felt in the E71s. I almost got back in the '13 M but I didn't want to buy it, they said I couldn't lease it again short term. I literally hated the 50i.

I have the M a month now, only 1,000 miles so I haven't pressed the button yet but I knew within the first minutes of the test drive it wasn't my imagination. I bit the bullet and traded it in on the spot. I couldn't be happier. I could kick myself in the ass for going backwards in the first place.

What are your wife's thoughts on the handling of the X6 compared to the X5 M? I went from a '08 X5 50i - or was that a 4.8i - to the '10 X6 50'. The difference between the two was mind boggling but I've never driven the E70 X5M so I can't offer an opinion there

Wow, talk about a hijacked thread. I'm glad it's my thread so I'm not pissing anyone off.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:11 AM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
I knew you were from Outpost but I thought we met at a meet down in Tampa we had many years ago.

No, I didn't speak to your wife but I'm glad it's not just me. I posted my thoughts on all the forums when I first got the 50i, but no one really responded so I thought no one agreed. I stopped posting because I felt like a downer to the members all excited waiting to take delivery of theirs.

I thought I'd get past the seats but every time I got behind the wheel I'd get pissy trying yet again to get comfortable. On top of that, the driving feel wasn't the same. The only difference between my '10 50i and my '13 M was when I pressed the M button, which is why I didn't think it would be a big deal to take a step backwards. This is not the case with the new generation. As I was trying to suck it up and get past the seats, I started to realize all the other differences. I no longer felt confident tearing around my entrance ramp in the morning. I felt body roll I never felt in the E71s. I almost got back in the '13 M but I didn't want to buy it, they said I couldn't lease it again short term. I literally hated the 50i.

I have the M a month now, only 1,000 miles so I haven't pressed the button yet but I knew within the first minutes of the test drive it wasn't my imagination. I bit the bullet and traded it in on the spot. I couldn't be happier. I could kick myself in the ass for going backwards in the first place.

What are your wife's thoughts on the handling of the X6 compared to the X5 M? I went from a '08 X5 50i - or was that a 4.8i - to the '10 X6 50'. The difference between the two was mind boggling but I've never driven the E70 X5M so I can't offer an opinion there

Wow, talk about a hijacked thread. I'm glad it's my thread so I'm not pissing anyone off.

The wife is ok with the regular x6. The spectacular year end deal that we got makes it easier to be more forgiving of the car's shortcomings. The body roll is there and the obvious lack of performance is there when compared to the x5M. My opinion is that the E70/71 drove the same in M form. We did not want to buy ours because the S63 engine in the E70/71 was developing a reputation for being problematic as you put more miles on it and the fact that ours was hit while parked and had bodywork done on it just made us decide that turning it in was best. Our particular car was completely reliable, but it was not a car I wanted to own out of warranty. Like you, we miss the M factor in the regular x6 and I suspect that we will get an x6m as long as the wife is comfortable with the new M multi contour seats. I have even contemplated looking for a low mileage E71 x6m, but the S63 motor issues have discouraged that idea.

Last edited by Alpine300ZHP; 02-01-2016 at 02:52 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 F16 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search