X1 lease: approved run flat tires - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 F48 (2016 - current)

X1 F48 (2016 - current)
Second generation F48 BMW X1 builds on the success of it's predecessor. Increases in power, interior and cargo space keep it a leader in the small SUV field.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto:
X1 lease: approved run flat tires

Currently on a 2016 X1 lease. Car has Pirelli Cintuarto P7 tires, which are pretty worn out now. Will Bridgestone Driveguard tires be acceptable at lease return? Both are all season/run flats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2018, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto:
The OEM tires from BMW's website are Pirelli Cintuarto and Goodyear Eagle. Bridgestone Driveguard's are not OEM though have got good reviews (see below); and are 25% cheaper (at Costco). The issue I am wondering about is what is whether non-OEM tires are acceptable at lease return?

https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1412130

Any thoughts folks?
Old 07-25-2018, 01:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F48 X1, JGC, 911C2S Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaranshe View Post
The OEM tires from BMW's website are Pirelli Cintuarto and Goodyear Eagle. Bridgestone Driveguard's are not OEM though have got good reviews (see below); and are 25% cheaper (at Costco). The issue I am wondering about is what is whether non-OEM tires are acceptable at lease return?

https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1412130

Any thoughts folks?
I would suggest that it does not really matter what people on this forum may have as an opinion on the subject and your question. An approach to getting a more fact-based answer to your question, I would recommend that you address the question to the used car manager of your local BMW dealership. He or she can tell you what the acceptable practice is and has been over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2018, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Exclamation Returning BMW lease end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallen88 View Post
I would suggest that it does not really matter what people on this forum may have as an opinion on the subject and your question. An approach to getting a more fact-based answer to your question, I would recommend that you address the question to the used car manager of your local BMW dealership. He or she can tell you what the acceptable practice is and has been over time.
Could be a chancy move- sales staff at many dealerships move around a lot and getting into a he said / she said down the road probably won't cut it! The lease end inspection may be done my yet another party!
SOOOOO - I RECOMMEND you read the lease you signed when you rented the car from BMWFS ... it's a contract!

PS - It's good you're thinking about this NOW and not 30 minutes before you turn the car in!
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!

SPAM links removed. Not permitted on Bimmerfest
Old 07-25-2018, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: F48 X1, JGC, 911C2S Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi524td View Post
Could be a chancy move- sales staff at many dealerships move around a lot and getting into a he said / she said down the road probably won't cut it! The lease end inspection may be done my yet another party!
SOOOOO - I RECOMMEND you read the lease you signed when you rented the car from BMWFS ... it's a contract!

PS - It's good you're thinking about this NOW and not 30 minutes before you turn the car in!
Perhaps you'll note that my recommendation was to speak with the used car Manager at the BMW Center. This is not a commissioned sales representative.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto:
Thanks for the responses guys. I called the dealership I got the lease from, and asked for someone who handles lease inspections. He was pleasant to speak, he said I don't need OEM tires, just all season RF tires with same load rating. When I mentioned the Bridgestone Driveguards, he said that they would be good. That said, I agree with above poster that this is not in writing and a 'he said she said' situation. The lease agreement states that, among other things, the tires should be of the same 'quality'. I think this language can potentially be used to ding any non-star tire.

I called several dealerships in the area for quotes. Surprisingly there is quite a bit of variance in prices. Net difference b/w Costco and the best dealership quote is ~ $225 (for 4 tires all inclusive), which I decided is not worth the potential hassles at lease end.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:30 AM

Tires at lease end

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaranshe View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. I called the dealership I got the lease from, and asked for someone who handles lease inspections. He was pleasant to speak, he said I don't need OEM tires, just all season RF tires with same load rating. When I mentioned the Bridgestone Driveguards, he said that they would be good. That said, I agree with above poster that this is not in writing and a 'he said she said' situation. The lease agreement states that, among other things, the tires should be of the same 'quality'. I think this language can potentially be used to ding any non-star tire.

I called several dealerships in the area for quotes. Surprisingly there is quite a bit of variance in prices. Net difference b/w Costco and the best dealership quote is ~ $225 (for 4 tires all inclusive), which I decided is not worth the potential hassles at lease end.
Glad to read you've done your homework to be a better informed consumer :-)

Tire price (all in) is only one factor and your decision to work this through your dealer can avoid future hassles. For what it's worth, my BMW dealer "price matches" & more importantly is less likely to damage my wheels during a tire swap. I've found private garages & "tire stores" sometimes have the wrong equipment to handle RFTs or have poorly trained workers. I know some might say their BMW dealers give that work to the lowest workers in their food chain - that's simply NOT my experience with MY dealer. Call it luck if you will!

Net net it sounds like you've dotted your i's and crossed your t's

Old 07-26-2018, 05:26 AM

Question Employee Incentive Compesation (commission)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallen88 View Post
Perhaps you'll note that my recommendation was to speak with the used car Manager at the BMW Center. This is not a commissioned sales representative.
There are very few positions at most car dealerships (incl BMW) that are excluded from incentive pay plans (your term = commission). Those who play in that game are from the employee on the sales floor, their management staff, even the service writer, etc.
While there has been a shift to "salary only" plans the industry seems mixed.

It'd be an interesting question to ask on the dealer sub-forum!

https://www.wardsauto.com/news-analysis/way-dealers-pay

Old 07-26-2018, 06:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
There used to be a BMW lease turn-in video. It doesn't show up on Google anymore. The video said the same type, quality, and speed rating as what came on the car. "Quality" is a subjective term, but could mean a name brand tire (Goodyear, Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Continental, etc.) instead of Honcho's, etc.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:47 AM

Returning BMW lease end video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
There used to be a BMW lease turn-in video. It doesn't show up on Google anymore. The video said the same type, quality, and speed rating as what came on the car. "Quality" is a subjective term, but could mean a name brand tire (Goodyear, Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Continental, etc.) instead of Honcho's, etc.
Looks like there still are videos but they're accessible once the person leasing a BMW has a BMWFS account.
https://www.bmwusa.com/financial-ser...e-program.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw lease return.PNG
Views:	36
Size:	366.3 KB
ID:	809508  

Old 07-26-2018, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW X1 Xdrive
I would use Tirerack.com to see the various OEM tires for the particular vehicle. Then, like many others have suggested elsewhere, go to Craigslist or EBay to look for used ones. My strategy on two leases has been to take off the run flats ASAP and store them and use normal tires until lease return then remount the RFs. They suck anyway.
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red) RETIRED
2015 MINI Cooper Convertible (blue) RETIRED
2015 BMW X1 X Drive (blue) RETIRED
2018 BMW X1 X Drive (black)

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 F48 (2016 - current)
Today's Posts Search