Winter annoyance F34 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328xi GT
Winter annoyance F34

First Winter with new to me 2014 328xi GT. We had sleet, freezing rain, snow and then below zero temps the other day. (got to love MN) Two annoying issues showed up, first you can not pull up the wipers so they stay off the windshield until you clear the snow and ice.

Second, having frame-less side windows and the half inch movement doesn't work well when you need to get the brush and ice scraper out of the backseat. Until you get all the ice off the window, it doesn't move or close completely. This means you have to scrape against the bottom rubber seal, not a fan of that.

I knew better than try opening the hatch without clearing the snow first. Also I didn't get on the freeway so the rear spoiler never tried to deploy. I sure hope the windows and spoiler both have some kind of "clutch" if they can't move.

Other than that, I'm liking the x drive and love the heated steering wheel.

Lets all have a safe and warm Winter.
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 06:27 AM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our BMW View Post
first you can not pull up the wipers so they stay off the windshield until you clear the snow and ice.
Yes you can. I can't remember the procedure--it's definitely in the manual. But you should do it before the windshield ices up, not after.

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 01-11-2017, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: 16 435 CV Msport PPK, Q5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our BMW View Post
First Winter with new to me 2014 328xi GT. We had sleet, freezing rain, snow and then below zero temps the other day. (got to love MN) Two annoying issues showed up, first you can not pull up the wipers so they stay off the windshield until you clear the snow and ice.

Second, having frame-less side windows and the half inch movement doesn't work well when you need to get the brush and ice scraper out of the backseat. Until you get all the ice off the window, it doesn't move or close completely. This means you have to scrape against the bottom rubber seal, not a fan of that.

I knew better than try opening the hatch without clearing the snow first. Also I didn't get on the freeway so the rear spoiler never tried to deploy. I sure hope the windows and spoiler both have some kind of "clutch" if they can't move.

Other than that, I'm liking the x drive and love the heated steering wheel.

Lets all have a safe and warm Winter.
good question, never thought of that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: '19 G05, 07 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Yes you can. I can't remember the procedure--it's definitely in the manual. But you should do it before the windshield ices up, not after.
+1 - after you turn the car completely off (double tap), hold the wiper switch UP as far as it will go for a few seconds. They will stop in the middle of the windshield. For some reason, my 4 swipes one complete swipe then stops when they get back up. None of my other BMWs worked like that, they just went halfway and stopped. You can pull them away from your windshield now.

OP, you'll get used to the frameless windows someday. I'v had them in so many cars, it's a non-issue now. I usually just clear the top and bottom with my gloved hand and get in from there. Or, you can keep the scraper by the back of your trunk and just crack it to get it out.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi GT
Thanks for the wiper tip, I found it in the manual and it works.

Fold-out position of the wipers
Fold wipers back when you want to change the
blades or with pending low temperatures.
1. Switch the ignition on and off again.
2. With icy conditions make sure that blades
are not frozen to the windshield.
3. Press the wiper lever up beyond the point
of resistance and hold it for approx. 3 seconds,
until the wiper remains in a nearly
vertical position.
After the wipers are folded back down, the
wiper system must be reactivated.
Folding wipers back down
Before switching the ignition on, fold the
wipers back down to the windshield; otherwise,
the wipers may become damaged when
they are activated.***9664;
1. Switch on the ignition.
2. Push wiper lever down. Wipers move to
their resting position and are ready again
for operation.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search