BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Battery size

4K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  jfs356 
#1 · (Edited)
It's getting close to new battery time on my '92 535i. Last one installed was 7 years ago, with AutoZones 49DL, which is now called a "T8" size. (13 15/16 L x 6 7/8W & 6 7/8H) Has anyone installed a H8 group battery? Which is about 5/8" taller. I measured & it appears that it will fit, but may need to modify the metal hold down strap for the height. Feed back please.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
@jfs356.....thanks for feedback. I checked the specs on that interstate battery & the height is 7 1/2", same as a H8 group battery. Did u have any problem with the metal hold down strap that goes across the top? Looks like it's made for a 6 7/8" high battery, so would need to be bent a little to get it over a 7 1/2" high one. And no other clearance issues?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

#7 · (Edited)
rav31, no clearance issues at all. The Interstate battery even had the vent hole as the old Bosch unit did.
I can take a picture tomorrow and post it if you like. Trying to remember the hold down strap, think it is just pliant tin type metal...

From a post I read earlier: "The group 49 in my 535 is a very tight fit. It will come out. Just have to wiggle, slide and curse a bit"

#12 ·
Thanks for the pic jfs356! Seeing the modified (bent) hold down strap was what I was looking for. So, with a little wiggle, push, grunt you can get the H8 battery in it's designated spot, even with the extra 5/8" height (7 1/2") & then bending the hold down strap so it will go over top of the new height battery. Sounds like a good option over the T8 group.
Thanks,

#13 · (Edited)
Yes, easy fit, worst part is the weight, the battery is heavy, tilt it backward a little toward rear of car, get bottom of battery under floor retainer panel, then, tilt forward, it will clear the rear seat support. Then strap in, connect terminals, and vent tube. Done :) RED POSITIVE/BLACK NEGATIVE....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.