BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Buying a Z8 Alpina?

13K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  XPLSV 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

I have been a member for a long time, and i really appreciate all the help i have found in these forums.

I have the opportunity to buy a 2003 BMW Z8 Alpina w/ 23K Miles. what do you guys think? i know that some Z8 owners are having some problems with the frame, and seems to me that BMW USA is somewhat taking care of the problem by retrofitting some Z8 with a Kit to resolve that.

any advice would be appreciated, Thanks!

:dunno:

#3 ·
Given all the structural problems and the highly likelihood of them, I wouldn't touch one. Unless BMW is going to step up and address those problems properly, the car stands a good chance of becoming a real mess. Aside from that (pretty hard to get around that), the Z8 is a gorgeous car and is probably a blast to drive. If it weren't for those structural problems, I'd say jump on it!

#5 ·
Yikes, that price seems very high. I've been eyeballing Z8's for a few years and that's both high mileage and an Alpina, not a manual with the M5 motor. Of course to be honest, when I filter out automatics when I search, so for all I know, someone may value the Alpina higher than the normal Z8. I already own and enjoy one BMW with a chassis issue, what's another going to do?

I would imagine that the 4.8 motor and automatic with a torque converter would put less stress on the chassis, but I don't know if that would be enough to save your bacon, just thinking out loud really. Good luck, anyway you cut it, they're beautiful cars.

Ben

#7 · (Edited)
i know that some Z8 owners are having some problems with the frame, and seems to me that BMW USA is somewhat taking care of the problem by retrofitting some Z8 with a Kit to resolve that.
I was parked next to a Z8 Alpina at a car show in October and while chatting with the owner he mentioned that the structural fix that is available from BMW does not apply to the Alpina variant but only the regular Z8s. I believe he said he was travelling to Buchloe to talk to the Alpina folks about options. He was not happy about it.

#9 ·
I found a forum devoted entirely to the Z8 frame issues here: Z8 Board - Frame Forum.

Discusses things at length, and even has the install instructions for the Performance Package "fix" that BMW has the gall to charge owners for.:confused:

#13 ·
well i know the car has too many miles and the price is high. i has liked and loved the Z8 ever since it was announced, i have owned many BMW over the years and BMW has always taken care of any issues i had had. this issue with the frame in the Z8 does in fact makes a big difference in my mind so i am not buying it! i was so exited and even made an offer over rhe phone after i had left the dealer on Saturday.

unfortunately i personaly do not like the M Roadster, BMW new car designer's work I DO NOT LIKE AT ALL (May be the M6 Cab) but nothing else. i have been holding back on buying any of the new BMW models. I was mainly looking for a car to replace my 02 911 Turbo with but it is hard to find a car that would out perform the Turbo.

the Z8 IS a beatiful car, i drove the Alpina last saturday and WOW the sound of the engine! the way people look at it! it sure is a looker.

well thanks to everyone who took the time to read and respond to my post, i am thankful for your advice, OK i will wait 'till i find a used Gallardo :D

Amil :typing:

#15 ·
well i do like the Aston Martin, but too much money to buy a new one. Better wait a couple of years and get a 1-2 years old at a much lower price. Thanks for the sug. :)

i am now really thinking about a M6 Cab. i 'd look into it.

Thanks guys!! :thumbup:

Amil

#16 ·
Dude, you can buy a brand new 2007 AMV8 Aston Martin for $110, what are you talking about too much money??

#19 ·
I already have a 2002 911 Turbo, and getting the new 911 TT i can't really see that much difference between the two. a bit more HP a few more gizmos, i just can't bring myself to spend the 150K + if I already have a 911 TT. :dunno:

#23 ·
This is an email a local Z8 owner forwarded to me that was circling through Z8 boards and owners. I'm sure it has been posted out there somewhere. I'm posting it because it is relevant here. IMO, it's a pretty crappy response to an under-engineered scenario.

Email from BMW Group on information about distortions in the area of the suspension strut towers to the BMW Z8 Club e.V.

Dear Mr. Wunderlich,
In the name of BMW AG, I would like to provide you with the following statement on the well-known BMW Z8 issue. "Based on the request of Z8 Club members and customers, BMW will be offering a performance package for the Z8. It increases the stiffness in the front end of the vehicle and counteracts body deformation effects caused by ambitious sporty driving on bad road surfaces. The package does not enhance vehicle performance during normal driving use. It will consist of a strut tower brace and reinforcement parts for the suspension strut mounts. The performance package will be priced at appr. $ 4.900 (inclusively of installation) and will be available to customers in summer 2006."

Best Regards
Michael Blabst
BMW Group
Head of Technology Communication
Phone: +49-89-382-24697
Fax: +49-89-382-23927
mailto: Michael.Blabst@bmw.de

#24 ·
I stopped by one of our local BMW dealers yesterday and sitting in the showroom was a Z8 Alpina that had just come in. I didn't ask price or mileage but the body/paint/wheels looked pristine. For comparison if you're interested give a ring to Passport BMW, passportbmw.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.