BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

AC Compressor

413 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Fernando51454 
#1 ·
Turns out after 13yrs it died..freon level fine. Tried power to compressor would not turn. So I have one on order with the kit, dryer, expansion valve and o rings. My mechanic wants another $200 to change the valve. Says he has to get into the dash. Is this a must? I hear that it nullifies warranty if compressor if you don't but it only has a one year one anyway. I am replacing the dryer and core valves on both the high and low side as he detected leaks there. Is it that important to change out the valve or has anyone taken their chances with good results? Thanks

2004 x5 4.4i

#2 ·
I just changed the compressor, pulled a vacuum and charged it. Works great.

The dryer has material in it that absorbs moisture in the system. As long as it hasn't been left open to the air for a long period of time causing it to burst then its "dried" out when you pull a vacuum. No need to change it.

The orifice in an ac system is a restriction that causes the freon to change states going from high pressure to low pressure. Its the reason the freon can gets cold when you charging the system. High pressure to low pressure. As long as the orifice isn't clogged then no need to replace it.

So if the system is working fine up till the compressor stopped working then changing the compressors, pulling a vacuum and charging it is all that's needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.