A message for you noobs who want a cold air intake... - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-12-2019, 03:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 e46 Touring M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus254 View Post
So I have a Dinan Cool Air Intake for my 1999 E46.. would it be recommended to keep using this intake or switch to the stock intake?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Bimmerfest mobile app
If it's already there, then you could just let it be, but buying one in purpose is not worth the price.
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2019, 05:41 AM
Descendant of Vikings

Mein Auto: E46 330ci vert 325xi
I would keep the DInan. Many here will talk you out of it as though it will make a huge difference either way. I run AFE on my 330ci and K&N panel in my 325i. Both work fine. The OEM panel is restricted in my opinion.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 323i E46
Well I already bought it like 3 years ago and put it on there aha.. it's not something I plan on doing since I already did it ahaha

Old 02-12-2019, 01:06 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
So I have a Dinan Cool Air Intake for my 1999 E46.. would it be recommended to keep using this intake or switch to the stock intake?

What should be mentioned here is that the net result of switching to an aftermarket CAI will only change the intake`s sound, and not much else. So, if you like the sound of your Dinan unit, leave it alone.
Steve Dinan is one of the true geniuses when it comes to modifying BMWs, and even he once admitted that his company`s CAI unit actually made one LESS horsepower than the stock unit....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 02-12-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
What should be mentioned here is that the net result of switching to an aftermarket CAI will only change the intake`s sound, and not much else. So, if you like the sound of your Dinan unit, leave it alone.
Steve Dinan is one of the true geniuses when it comes to modifying BMWs, and even he once admitted that his company`s CAI unit actually made one LESS horsepower than the stock unit....
So this is a lie?Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-02-12-13-46-47.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	839849Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-02-12-13-43-29.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	839851

Old 02-12-2019, 01:48 PM

Thanks by the way guys.. I will just leave it on then

Old 02-12-2019, 05:24 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
So this is a lie?Attachment 839849Attachment 839851

Absolutely NOT true....the statement I made earlier came directly from Steve Dinan`s mouth, and I guess he would know !

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 02-13-2019, 03:28 PM

So what you are saying is that one could sue such false advertising statements?

Old 02-13-2019, 04:54 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
So what you are saying is that one could sue such false advertising statements?

What I`m saying is that there are a bunch of different ways to manipulate numbers to make things look favorable to your side....advertisers have been doing this since the beginning of time. How things actually work in the real world, however, can be a little different. Which is exactly why some smart cookie came up with the phrase "Your mileage may vary !"

Old 03-04-2019, 03:20 PM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
I just saw all those responses.

If you ever look at a dyno run, you'll notice the hood on the car is open and a few fans are blowing air into the wide-open engine bay, allowing for a maximum cooling effect. If you can ever close the hood on your car when you do a dyno pull (which is doable), you'll see the horsepower drop.

A friend of mine ran his Mini Cooper S after getting a new intercooler and the guys at the shop had enough sense to do both hood up and hood down. With the OEM intercooler and the hood up (and the fan OFF), it made 167 WHP. With the OEM intercooler and the hood down (and the fan ON), it made 156 WHP. (The car ended up making less power with the aftermarket intercooler, but that's a different story. It was also run on a Mustang Dyno, so he was truly probably closer to 180 WHP.) I'll gladly provide the graphs if requested.

What typically happens is the person sticks on a new intake, does a dyno run with the usual hood-up setup and is amazed to see how that intake helped their car. If they run it with the hood down, they'll say, "Oh. Well that sucks."
Old 04-18-2019, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto:
Hi there BMW people ***x1f600; Im new on here and own a e46 318i 2.0 petrol automatic,Its beautiful ***x1f44d; All original but i need to opt for a catch can,Please please please can someone help me,It seems that all catch cans are fitted to 6 cylinder engines,I haven't found one bit of info on net about putting a catch can on a 318i 2.0 petrol,It is pcv related and this is my choice of fix at the moment,Any info will be cherished and very much appreciated,Gotta keep her going eh.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:05 PM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybmwisace1 View Post
Hi there BMW people ***x1f600; Im new on here and own a e46 318i 2.0 petrol automatic,Its beautiful ***x1f44d; All original but i need to opt for a catch can,Please please please can someone help me,It seems that all catch cans are fitted to 6 cylinder engines,I haven't found one bit of info on net about putting a catch can on a 318i 2.0 petrol,It is pcv related and this is my choice of fix at the moment,Any info will be cherished and very much appreciated,Gotta keep her going eh.
Wrong thread. There's an entire thread dedicated to CCV elimination and catch cans.

Click here: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=879092
Old 10-02-2019, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: 03 e46 M3 is my daily
My two cents, probably not worth a dime... My experience is that a CAI alone is not worth doin', Dinan advised me to add on on our 99 e36 325xi, after adding a dinan exhaust and high flow throttle body. After a tune we did a dyno pull, added the CAI did another pull and saw about a 9% increase in whp. So, i really think the CAI helped but its probably a case by case thing.

"If it rests it rusts..." ,'it' can be interchanged with 'you' as well...
Old 10-02-2019, 11:42 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp3con View Post
My two cents, probably not worth a dime... My experience is that a CAI alone is not worth doin', Dinan advised me to add on on our 99 e36 325xi, after adding a dinan exhaust and high flow throttle body. After a tune we did a dyno pull, added the CAI did another pull and saw about a 9% increase in whp. So, i really think the CAI helped but its probably a case by case thing.
Yes, the variables are many....I once heard directly from The Guru`s mouth (Steve Dinan, himself) that he only found one horsepower difference between his CAI, and the original factory intake (which is a very effective true CAI that out-performs 98 % of all the aftermarket units out there)

Old 11-19-2019, 01:09 PM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Yes, the variables are many....I once heard directly from The Guru`s mouth (Steve Dinan, himself) that he only found one horsepower difference between his CAI, and the original factory intake (which is a very effective true CAI that out-performs 98 % of all the aftermarket units out there)
To be fair, the ECIS intake showed lower intake temperatures over stock. The catch is that they were really only lower while in motion. If I were to put any intake on an E46, it'd have to be an ECIS.

There is an ECIS knockoff on eBay, but it has a metal intake pipe rather than rubber or silicone. I dare say you could wrap said metal pipe in some kind of insulation and it ought to perform nicely.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search