Test Drive Weirdness - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:16 PM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Test Drive Weirdness

I've bought a 2009 328xi and w2013 328xi in the past. I am in the market for a new 2020, so I am looking at the 330i AWD. I went for a test drive in one yesterday.

Now, I test drove my 2009 and 2013 beforehand, and I also test drove similar entry luxury models from Mercedes, Audi, Volvo and Cadillac. I also test drove a BMW, Mercedes and Infiniti in 2003 before I settled on the G35. And I gotta tell you, yesterday was the first test drive I took in which the sales guy insisted on coming with me. Every single other test drive I took, I was allowed to go alone, even at this same dealership.

Not only that, but when I saw him getting in the car and I said, oh, you're coming with me? He laughed, like I was joking. When I told him I was serious, that every other test drive I took I took alone, so I thought I'd be taking this one out alone as well, he looked at me like I was lying.

It was a fine drive and all, but I felt kind of limited, like I was being restrained, and when I said after the drive, not a reflection on you at all, but it felt kind of weird having you on the drive with me, he looked at me like I just insulted his lineage. And when I said, I wonder why [DealerName] changed the policy, he said, predictably, no, it's always been this way. You know, as though I really were lying. I didn't reply, because fat lot of good it would have done arguing about that.

Anyhow, just wondering, does anyone here know, is this new BMW policy, not allowing test drivers to go out alone? Or is this just this dealership these days, or maybe even just this one guy?

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688

Last edited by chasfh; 10-31-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2019, 05:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 16 X1 M-Sport
I've never been on one alone.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2010 528;2013 X5
Never had a sales person accompany me on a test drive. Even for CPO's that my wife bought. I always figured they didn't want to leave the showroom and maybe miss a customer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 08:29 AM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
Anyhow, just wondering, does anyone here know, is this new BMW policy, not allowing test drivers to go out alone? Or is this just this dealership these days, or maybe even just this one guy?
Definitely a dealership specific or perhaps a salesperson specific policy. BMW of NA doesn't promulgate any rules regarding solo vs. accompanied test drives at U.S. BMW automobile dealerships in general.

Old 11-03-2019, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
I do most of my BMW test driving at M schools and BMW NA events. We did test drive an F25 X3, and the salesman stayed behind. But, he knew me and I'd been a customer at the dealer for 15 years or so.

Porsche salesmen/salesmenettes are hesitant to let strangers test drive cars. People paying $100k for a car don't want one with 100 hard miles on it. But, Porsche NA has something pretty cool, the Porsche Experience. For ~$600 to ~$900 you can go to Porsche's Atlanta or LA facilities and get 90 minutes of track time. They have various sessions: mid-engine vs. rear-engine, Carrera GTS, GT3, Panamera, and Cayenne. Going to the Porsche facilities lets you see the various options, too... and ask questions that the typical car salesman/salesmanette can't usually answer.

https://www.porschedriving.com/atlanta/driving

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search